May 9, 2014, 9:58 AM EDT
Steve Kerr has a huge burden.
Despite having no coaching experience, two NBA teams want him to coach them. How will he ever decide between the Knicks and Warriors?
Kerr is hoping to wrap up proceedings Friday, according to multiple sources, and is leaning toward the Knicks over the Warriors due to Jackson’s allure.
In a surprise development, even if he joins the Knicks, Kerr has decided to finish out the TNT playoff run with his partner Marv Albert straight through the Western Conference finals (which end in late May), according to an NBA source.
Announcement: Pro Basketball Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a $30,000 Fantasy Basketball league that includes Friday and Saturday night’s games. It’s $25 to join and first prize is $5,000. Starts at 8pm ET on Friday. Here’s the FanDuel link.
If Kerr is an active coach, those broadcasts could get strange. He’s obviously uncomfortable whenever Albert mentions job openings, and maybe taking a job would clear that up, or maybe it would create new unease as he discusses players on other teams. (Would TNT just be enabling tampering?)
But if you’re a fan of Kerr’s commentating, I guess hooray the Knicks have traded all their draft picks. That leaves Kerr – if he accepts the New York job – nothing to do now.
It’s not only an in-game or even in-season job. Kerr could meet with players, break down film, recommend offseason training, etc. Though this is not the peak part of the coaching calendar, Kerr could still gain valuable experience.
But why rush? Kerr hasn’t coached before, and look how far that got him.
- NBA Draft prospect matchups to watch in NCAA Tourament this weekend 1
- Report: LeBron James frustrated with Kevin Love for not fitting in 82
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Wednesday: Kevin Love seems to be fitting in just fine suddenly 4
- It’s official: Dwight Howard will return to Rockets’ lineup Wednesday 2
- Dwyane Wade on MVP race: “I would say James Harden” 27
- Report: Rockets’ Patrick Beverley has torn ligament in wrist, to decide course in 7-10 days 2
- Derrick Rose expects to be cleared for contact soon, says he feels no pain in right knee 9
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Tuesday: Warriors win Pacific Division, may win much more 20