Kings using crowdsourcing, analytics to help with draft pick — and you can get in their war room

May 9, 2014, 5:55 PM EDT

Image (1) Kings_logo-thumb-250x355-16479.gif for post 3299

Most likely the Sacramento Kings will pick seventh in the upcoming NBA draft. There is a slim chance (3.6 percent) they could slide into the top three, there is a slightly larger chance someone leapfrogs them and they draft a slot or two lower, but most likely it is seventh (providing they don’t make a trade).

That means someone like Indiana’s Noah Vonleh, Michigan State’s Gary Harris, maybe Arizona’s Aaron Gordon.

The Kings want to know who you would pick. More importantly, they want to know why — they want to see your analytics.

They set up the draft challenge where you can not only rank the players but show your methodology. Sufficiently impress Kings GM Pete D’Alessandro and you can be part of a draft counsel and be invited to the War Room.

The Kings announced this in the most techie way possible — on reddit. Here is what D’Alessandro said.

There is so much talent and so much information out there today outside of the walls of the NBA. I told him I felt like we could tap into that vast wealth of knowledge. For that reason I was actually planning on reaching out to advanced fans and asking for their help in this Draft. I had my analytics team here at the Kings create a website where I’m asking fans to rate college players by position in the 2014 NBA Draft. I would like more than just the ranking for fans that are interested. I would like to know how they came to their decision. From this crowdsourcing, I will select a smaller group to be in my Draft think tank. A few of which I plan to invite to my war room.

The Web site has you ranking guys by position, top 5 at a spot out of a possible 10. There are no internationals on the list, so for example with point guards you don’t have to decide if you have Dante Exum over Marcus Smart.

But what the Kings really want is the attached files of in-depth research and analysis.

Maybe the Kings find some great information this way, maybe not. But it’s a great interactive move by D’Alessando and owner Vivek Ranadivé to tap into the analytics community, get them involved. It’s a smart move either way, with little to no downside.

1. 00millerfortune - May 9, 2014 at 6:00 PM

That’s actually pretty cool, considering some hardcore fans have more common sense then some of these GMs drafting (looking at you Cleveland).

2. seattlesuperchronic - May 9, 2014 at 6:13 PM

I like that logo in the picture, I’ve never seen it before.

3. sumkat - May 9, 2014 at 6:16 PM

Surprised the Kings are willing to admit the average fan could do as well with their draft picks as the guys they’ve paid millions of dollars to do it over the last 20 years. I mean…it’s true. I’m just surprised they are admitting it

4. sumkat - May 9, 2014 at 7:10 PM

On a funnier note, i can’t wait to see the craziest “tips” for the Kings. Gotta think there will be at least a few “Don’t draft Andrew Wiggins, that welch has owed me $50 for 2 years now, I ain’t seen a penny”

5. hwatt - May 9, 2014 at 7:20 PM

uuuhh… guys. multi-million dollar executives are not going to be hanging off your every word. The winner will be sitting in a corner just happy to be there while the big boys do their thing. And there is a 1% chance, if you continue to talk well, that you could be some junior scout afterward.

Still, nonetheless, pretty cool opportunity

• 00millerfortune - May 9, 2014 at 9:34 PM

f that, I would be A-Mazing! All I need is a chance!

What players stood out at World Cup?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches