Greg Oden: ‘I’m one of the biggest busts in NBA history and I know that it’ll only get worse’

May 9, 2014, 1:45 PM EDT

2007 ESPY Awards - Press Room Getty Images

Kevin Durant just won NBA MVP. His contract pays him nearly $90 million, and his next deal will surely be even larger. He’s leading one of the league’s best teams deep into the playoffs.

As for the player drafted just before him? You know how that turned out.

Former No. 1 pick Greg Oden spoke with Mark Titus of Grantland:

I asked him straight-up: “If this is the final chapter of the Greg Oden story — if you’re destined to be a benchwarmer for the rest of your career — are you OK with that? Will you be satisfied with your legacy?”“I’m over all of that,” Greg told me. “I know I’m one of the biggest busts in NBA history and I know that it’ll only get worse as Kevin Durant continues doing big things … It’s frustrating that my body can’t do what my mind wants it to do sometimes. But worrying or complaining about it isn’t going to fix anything … I wish the circumstances would let me play more, but I certainly don’t regret coming back, and I don’t regret signing with the Heat.”

I know there’s a positive “he’s accepted his place in the world” spin that could be put on this, but I can’t see anything other than sadness. This is just really sad.

And the worst part is Oden is right. He is one of the biggest busts ever. It’s not his fault –  injuries robbed him of what could have been a bright career – but he’ll still hold that bust label forever.

Playing with the Heat now might soften the pain a bit. I hope it does, because Oden needs that. The gap between his and Durant’s achievements will only grow larger.

Latest Posts
  1. Michael Carter-Williams cleared to return to practice Nov. 6

Oct 25, 2014, 11:00 PM EDT

Michael Carter-Williams

Reigning Rookie of the Year had offseason shoulder surgery, but may not miss many regular season games.

2. Gregg Popovich after Spurs go 2-5 in preseason: ‘We look like we’re not very interested’

Oct 25, 2014, 9:30 PM EDT

Gregg Popovich Gregg Popovich

Defending champs have no reason to exert themselves until the games count in the standings.

3. Nets head coach Hollins believes Brook Lopez will be ready for opening night

Oct 25, 2014, 8:00 PM EDT

New Jersey Nets practice 05/07/2014 New Jersey Nets practice 05/07/2014

Lopez hasn’t practiced since it was reported he suffered a soft tissue injury to his surgically repaired foot on Oct. 16.

4. Report: Klay Thompson’s camp ‘frustrated’ Warriors have yet to offer a max contract extension

Oct 25, 2014, 6:30 PM EDT

Klay Thompson Klay Thompson

Warriors hold (almost) all the leverage, because Thompson will be a restricted free agent next summer.

5. 67RIEFNS: Warriors starters with Draymond Green

Oct 25, 2014, 3:30 PM EDT

Golden State Warriors v Los Angeles Lakers Golden State Warriors v Los Angeles Lakers

Lineup data shows Green greatly improves his team’s chances when playing with the starters.

6. 67RIEFNS: Lance Stephenson on the loose

Oct 25, 2014, 2:00 PM EDT

Charlotte Hornets vs Philadelphia 76ers Charlotte Hornets vs Philadelphia 76ers

Is Stephenson ready for responsibility that comes with going from Pacers to Hornets?

7. Report: Cavaliers have had ‘zero discussion’ on contract extension with Tristan Thompson

Oct 25, 2014, 11:00 AM EDT

Tristan Thompson Tristan Thompson

It might be because short of an insane offer of a max deal, Thompson would rather take his chances as a restricted free agent next summer.

8. Kings’ Ray McCallum sinks put-back at the buzzer to beat Lakers

Oct 25, 2014, 9:30 AM EDT

Ray McCallum AP

Nice job of McCallum to stay active on a play where he had already missed a shot.

9. 67RIEFNS: Isaiah Thomas vs. Sacramento Kings

Oct 25, 2014, 8:00 AM EDT

Los Angeles Clippers v Sacramento Kings Los Angeles Clippers v Sacramento Kings

Will Thomas make Kings regret choosing Darren Collison over him?

10. Thunder’s Anthony Morrow to miss 4-6 weeks with knee sprain

Oct 25, 2014, 12:01 AM EDT

Grizzlies vs Thunder Grizzlies vs Thunder

Thunder will be very short-handed the first month of the regular season.

11. Player intentionally makes shot in own basket in attempt to force overtime

Oct 24, 2014, 10:00 PM EDT

And it was probably the smartest possible play

12. 67RIEFNS: K.J. McDaniels testing the second-round system

Oct 24, 2014, 9:00 PM EDT

2014 NBA Rookie Photo Shoot Getty Images

76ers forwent any guaranteed salary to hit free agency sooner

Heat can make playoffs without LeBron
Top 10 NBA Player Searches