May 8, 2014, 3:19 AM EST
Our quick look around the NBA, or what you missed while trying to set up your own prom date draft…
Russell Westbrook, Oklahoma City Thunder. This is what an aggressive Russell Westbrook gets you. I don’t just mean the triple-double — 31 points, 10 rebounds and 10 assists. I mean his play from the start took the star of Game 1, Chris Paul, and knocked him back on his heels. On the first play of the game Westbrook jumped a passing lane and set the tone with his defense. Westbrook attacked CP3, got a couple early fouls on him and largely took Paul out of the game. This wasn’t a simple matter of “good” or “bad” Westbrook because they are part of the same package — the aggressive Westbrook that dominated Paul can be the same one that goes out of control for a stretch. There is just far more good than bad with him and we saw it in Game 2.
Kevin Durant, Oklahoma City Thunder. That is your MVP, ladies and gentlemen. He’s on an emotional high, he knows his team needs a win and he comes out and splashes a three 40 seconds in the game. In the first quarter he drops 17 points on 7-of-11 shooting. He goes on to score 32 points and be one assist shy of also having a triple-double. It was vintage KD — just like his acceptance speech.
Roy Hibbert, Indiana Pacers. Hey Roy, good to see you again. We missed you. Hope you enjoyed you’re mental walkabout for the last couple months, are you back to stay for a while? First and foremost he was back as the defensive anchor in the paint that the Pacers need — they are always going to win starting on that end of the court. Then he also dropped 28 points. Here’s the big thing — he’s had some other good games during his slump, only to revert to his bad form. Do that in this series and the Pacers go home (they played much better and this game was still close). He has to be consistent. That said, every journey starts with one step.
- Nuggets Danilo Gallinari has meniscus tear in right knee, out three weeks after surgery 2
- Rajon Rondo was very Rondoesque in debut with Mavericks (VIDEO) 16
- Report: Kings discussing trade for Deron Williams with Nets 12
- Report: Multiple teams contacting Suns trying to trade for Goran Dragic 10
- Clippers rip officials after being called for seven technical fouls in loss to Nuggets 18
- Jeremy Lin after Kobe misses at the buzzer: ‘I like game-winners too’ 59
- Damian Lillard drops career high 43, leads Blazers to 3OT win over Spurs (VIDEO) 8
- Kendrick Perkins: Rajon Rondo wanted out of Boston 8