May 8, 2014, 10:55 AM EDT
Also as expected, they’ve contacted Stan Van Gundy.
Marc Spears of Yahoo Sports:
Announcement: Pro Basketball Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a $30,000 Fantasy Basketball league that includes Thursday and Friday night’s games. It’s $25 to join and first prize is $5,000. Starts at 7pm ET on Thursday. Here’s the FanDuel link.
Stan Van Gundy was on the Amani and Eytan show on NBC Sports Radio on Wednesday night sounding interested, as much as any coach says so publicly.
“I’m certainly willing to talk to, listen to, and I think from there you decide if both parties are interested in going further. It’s hard to say you’re interested until you sit down with people and I certainly have not done that with them….
“I think there are some positives with Golden State. As you say the talent level is there. Of the jobs that are open now they are clearly the most talented team out there. No. 2 you have a great, great fan base there, one of the best in the NBA . Number three, and I grew up there so I can speak to it, there aren’t many better places to live in the United States than the Bay Area in California. There are some positives and they are going to have a lot of people interested. I think it’s a matter of fit, that’s key in coaching jobs. It’s not going to work if there is not some common ground on philosophy.”
After firing Mark Jackson, the Warriors need a strong replacement to win the trust of a locker room that supported Jackson. I think Van Gundy could be that coach.
He took the Magic to the NBA Finals, building a tough defense and efficient offense. The Warriors definitely need a coach who better takes advantage of their offensive strengths, something Van Gundy has shown he can do.
Van Gundy’s personality can also be grating over time, but that’s something to worry about down the road. Golden State needs a good coach now, and in that regard at least, Van Gundy fits the bill.
- Rumor: Kevin Love out minimum of two weeks, will likely miss most or all of series vs. Bulls 2
- Monta Ellis, J.J. Barea pairing ignites Mavericks offense, gets Dallas Game 4 win over Houston 1
- Wizards blow out Raptors to complete first-round sweep 17
- Chris Paul scores 34 points, Clippers win Game 4 to even series with Spurs 6
- Cavaliers advance to second round – but but maybe lose Kevin Love and moral high ground in process 52
- Mike Conley out for Game 4 with “serious” facial injury, no timetable for return 6
- Grizzlies start fast, hang on to beat Portland, take 3-0 series lead 2
- Bucks outwork Bulls, stay alive on Jerryd Bayless game-winner 6