May 8, 2014, 8:00 AM EDT
Wednesday night both teams down in the series evened it up, does that trend continue? And do we finally get a close game in Round 2? Lots of questions for Thursday night.
Brooklyn Nets at Miami Heat (Heat lead series 1-0). What does Brooklyn need to do differently in Game 2 compared to the second half of Game 1? Almost everything. They need to defend the three ball better. They need to find a way to keep LeBron James and Dwyane Wade from living in the paint. They need to grab some offensive rebounds. They need to make sure Heat role players such as Ray Allen are held in check (Allen had 19 in Game 1). They need to get Kevin Garnett (zero points in Game 1) and Paul Pierce (8) going. Deron Williams has to have a better game. That’s not a complete list, but that should be enough to keep Jason Kidd busy for 24 hours. Expect the Nets to play better and answer some of those questions, but will that be enough?
Portland Trail Blazers at San Antonio Spurs (Spurs lead series 1-0). How did Terry Stotts spend his off day? Did he plot ways to free his suddenly blanketed shooters, especially LaMarcus Aldridge? Did he scout Aron Baynes? Did he devise a defensive gameplan that includes Nicolas Batum on Tony Parker? There are so many issues for Portland to fix in such a short time. Meanwhile, after San Antonio’s 24-point win, Gregg Popovich can work on luxuries — like getting Manu Ginobili following an 0-for-6 Game 1.
- Derrick Rose sits out another Team USA practice, not likely to start Wednesday 20
- DeMarcus Cousins practices with team USA Tuesday, says he’s 50-50 for Wednesday game 2
- Jim Boeheim says of Carmelo Anthony, “it would have been better to go to Chicago” 30
- Steve Ballmer screams like a maniac at Clippers rally 26
- Thibodeau calls Team USA “perfect setting” for Derrick Rose to make return 6
- What four players left likely to get cut from Team USA roster? Things don’t look good for Andre Drummond. 19
- John Calipari says he was not close to going to Cleveland. LeBron or not. 12
- Report: Shawn Marion commits to play with Cavaliers, LeBron James 47