May 8, 2014, 2:05 PM EDT
Where does Craig Sager get those suits?
Sager – who’s battling leukemia – penned an article with Jared Zwerling of Bleacher Report, and he answered that age-old mystery. Sager:
Actually, on April 7, the day before the Heat-Nets game, I had picked out about a half-dozen patterns from Rex Fabrics, where I get a lot of my stuff made. It’s well known internationally, and I don’t even look in the men’s section.
Wherever I shop, I pick out stuff from the women’s or interior design sections, and they turn bridesmaid dresses and drapes and curtains, respectively, into my sports jackets. I don’t have a specific taste—whatever is bright and lively and catches my attention. I also like a lot of Versace and anything Italian-made.
In the article, Sager writes positively about his health and expresses gratitude for all the well wishes. Kevin Garnett sent flowers, and Doc Rivers sent a fruit basket and calls every day.
Tuesday was my best day since I started treatment. I turned the corner, as I’m now building my own white blood corpuscles. All the doctors say I’m doing remarkable, doing the best I can possibly do, no bad reactions. I haven’t had any aftereffects from the chemo, and I’m staying healthy. The doctors said that being in good shape is a big factor, and I’m not on any oxygen, all my organs are good, my heart is perfect. So they’re very pleased with what’s going on.
He also wrote something that surprised me a great deal. (That his suits started as curtains can’t be too much of a shock.)
Sager had no idea his son would be interviewing Gregg Popovich until seeing it on television.
Then it was Easter Sunday, April 20, and I had my family at the hospital. But my son, Craig Jr., wasn’t there because he said he had to work. We were watching the Dallas Mavericks-San Antonio Spurs game, and they announced that he’s there and was going to interview Gregg Popovich. I didn’t know anything about it. I was like, “Oh, Jesus.”
Hopefully, Sager’s recovery continues to go just as well. The sooner he’s back on the sideline wearing his bridesmaid dresses and drapes and curtains suits, the better.
- Anthony Davis steps into spotlight, is Team USA’s lynchpin 16
- Referee Violet Palmer comes out publicly as gay 39
- Report: Cavaliers last team standing in Kevin Love trade talks 85
- Pat Riley says he didn’t think LeBron was leaving, Heat can turn around quickly 56
- Coach K on Rose: “Derrick’s played great, not good, and hasn’t held anything back” 30
- Report: Anthony Bennett pulled from pro-am by agent, possibly due to his inclusion in Kevin Love trade talks 43
- Report: Sixers fighting against immediate changes to NBA Draft Lottery system 59
- Team USA going small ball, but how many bigs do they keep on the bench? 4