May 8, 2014, 11:32 AM EDT
Jamal Crawford can flat out fill up the bucket — when he came in off the bench this season the Clippers’ offense, already the best in the NBA, didn’t lose a beat. Crawford averaged 18.6 points a game and the Clippers outscored opponents by 6.1 points per 100 possessions when he was on the court.
That was enough to win Crawford the NBA’s Sixth Man of the Year award. This had been expected and is well deserved.
This is Crawford’s second Sixth Man of the Year award, he won in the 2009-10 season as a member of the Atlanta Hawks. Crawford is only the fourth two-time winner of the award joining Kevin McHale, Ricky Pierce and Detlef Schrempf.
Crawford came in off the bench for the Clippers in 45 of the 69 games in which he played, and he brought with him the ability to create his own shot and knock down the jumper (36 percent from three). He provided another level of depth to what was statistically the best offense in the NBA this season.
Here is the voting on the award, with their point totals (first place votes in parenthesis).
Jamal Crawford, L.A. Clippers (57) 421
Taj Gibson, Chicago (49) 395
Manu Ginobili , San Antonio (9) 138
Markieff Morris, Phoenix (5) 85
Reggie Jackson, Oklahoma City (4) 49
Vince Carter, Dallas (1)12
D.J. Augustin, Chicago 6
Enes Kanter, Utah 3
Dion Waiters, Cleveland 3
Nick Young, L.A. Lakers 3
Chris Andersen, Miami 2
Marco Belinelli, San Antonio 2
Andray Blatche, Brooklyn 1
Tim Hardaway Jr., New York 1
Patty Mills, San Antonio 1
Timofey Mozgov, Denver 1
Greivis Vasquez, Toronto 1
Mo Williams, Portland 1
To answer your question, Enes Kanter got one second place vote, it came from Jason Kosmicki, the radio voice of the Denver Nuggets. Vince Carter’s first place vote came from Eddie Sefko of the Dallas Morning News. You can see all the votes here.
- PBT Extra with NBASavant.com: Number shows Matthew Dellavedova’s defensive value 1
- PBT Extra with NBASavant.com: Cleveland may want to cover Curry in the left corner 2
- It’s official: Scott Skiles hired as head coach of Orlando Magic 26
- PBT Podcast: Talking Thibodeau/Bulls divorce; future for Rockets, Hawks 0
- Warriors’ Klay Thompson officially diagnosed with concussion 22
- Klay Thompson should not have been cleared to return to Game 5 after concussion evaluation 16
- Dwight Howard suspended one game after foul switcheroo 18
- Three coaches who may replace Tom Thibodeau in Chicago 15