May 8, 2014, 11:15 PM EST
The Bucks somehow managed to finish the regular season with the league’s worst record, even after the Sixers cut loose two of their three most talented veterans at the trade deadline and put together a losing streak that reached 26 straight games before it was finally snapped.
That distinction is normally nothing to brag about, but there is a small window lasting about a month — from the end of the regular season until the Draft Lottery on May 20 — where a team can feel just fine about being in that position.
Milwaukee has a 25 percent chance of landing the number one overall pick in this year’s draft, and it’s all thanks to the team’s 15-win season. Nothing is guaranteed, of course, but the Bucks have the most ping pong balls out of any team that will go into the hopper to determine exactly how the final draft order will be set.
In order to get fans excited about the upcoming event, the team has shipped out custom ping pong balls with the Bucks logo on them, along with a card that reads “OWN THE FUTURE. WIN THE LOTTERY.”
— Eric Buenning (@ericbuenning) May 8, 2014
Creative promotion, and a great way to get fans excited.
The Bucks have also laid out a nice page explaining how the lottery works and detailing exactly what the team’s chances are of winning, so check that out if you’re at all uncertain of just how significant a ping pong ball can be in determining the future fortunes of a franchise.
[via Rob Mahoney at SI.com]
- George Karl: Knicks could use a strong point guard next to Carmelo Anthony 5
- Ray Allen announces he will not play this season 10
- Pelicans’ Anthony Davis a gametime decision Wednesday vs. Pistons 1
- Derek Fisher questions ‘character and integrity’ of players after Knicks lose to Kings by 38 points 29
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Tuesday: The Hawks clinched playoff spot in front of Josh Smith 6
- Nuggets need to decide direction, then hire coach 18
- Report: Russell Westbrook ‘likely’ to return to Thunder lineup Wednesday, will wear protective mask 13
- Nuggets have fired head coach Brian Shaw 30