May 8, 2014, 11:15 PM EDT
The Bucks somehow managed to finish the regular season with the league’s worst record, even after the Sixers cut loose two of their three most talented veterans at the trade deadline and put together a losing streak that reached 26 straight games before it was finally snapped.
That distinction is normally nothing to brag about, but there is a small window lasting about a month — from the end of the regular season until the Draft Lottery on May 20 — where a team can feel just fine about being in that position.
Milwaukee has a 25 percent chance of landing the number one overall pick in this year’s draft, and it’s all thanks to the team’s 15-win season. Nothing is guaranteed, of course, but the Bucks have the most ping pong balls out of any team that will go into the hopper to determine exactly how the final draft order will be set.
In order to get fans excited about the upcoming event, the team has shipped out custom ping pong balls with the Bucks logo on them, along with a card that reads “OWN THE FUTURE. WIN THE LOTTERY.”
— Eric Buenning (@ericbuenning) May 8, 2014
Creative promotion, and a great way to get fans excited.
The Bucks have also laid out a nice page explaining how the lottery works and detailing exactly what the team’s chances are of winning, so check that out if you’re at all uncertain of just how significant a ping pong ball can be in determining the future fortunes of a franchise.
[via Rob Mahoney at SI.com]
- Mark Cuban rips officials, NBA: ‘It’s criminal’ how Monta Ellis doesn’t get calls 18
- Shaquille O’Neal says he regrets leaving Magic for Lakers 36
- Cavaliers coach David Blatt: ‘LeBron James is our MVP’ 20
- No Durant, what does that mean for Thunder in these playoffs? Trouble. 15
- Kevin Durant to have third foot surgery; is done for season, playoffs 38
- Goran Dragic leading feisty Heat’s playoff push 29
- NBA Draft prospect matchups to watch in NCAA Tourament this weekend 2
- Report: LeBron James frustrated with Kevin Love for not fitting in 85