Blazers greeted by snake in locker room before Game 2 in San Antonio

May 8, 2014, 8:49 PM EDT

snake

Visiting locker rooms in the NBA are the opposite of opulent. They are small and without frills, meant to keep the opposing team uncomfortable during their stay.

In the past, teams have made some additional adjustments to either the climate in the room or the water temperature to further irritate the opponent. But having a live, venomous reptile in place awaiting the visitors seems like a bit much.

From Casey Holdahl of the Blazers’ website:

Upon arriving at the AT&T Center for Game 2 versus the Spurs, the Trail Blazers were greeting by an unexpected guest in Thomas Robinson’s locker: a rattlesnake.

“Man, me and Thomas at our lockers as usual,” explained Trail Blazers guard Will Barton. “We’re changing and he goes to put his shoes down and he’s like ‘What the …?’ You know what he said. He’s like ‘There’s a snake under my locker dog!’ And I’m like ‘Stop playing.’ He’s like ‘No for real! A real snake!’ And we just looked under there and there was a snake. I was scared!”

“I just put my shoes down and once I put my shoes down I double looked and I seen a snake sitting there,” said Robinson. “After that, I got away from it. I just seen something curled up and I looked again and it was a snake. No one believed me until they looked in there. It hissed, I backed up.”

Arena security moved in and removed the snake, but not before Mo Williams snapped some photos.

“We get in the lockerroom n its a damn snake, yea a snake in the lockerroom. Man we was scared as hell,” the caption read.

No one was hurt, but there’s no question that the Blazers were a little freaked out by the experience.

UPDATE:

To which I say: Yeah, but still.

1. ProBasketballPundit - May 8, 2014 at 8:59 PM

Better call Shaq. He’ll score 28-10 on that snake and also the snake would be BBQ chicken.

2. rodyaugu - May 8, 2014 at 9:03 PM

Not only they have big ‘ol women, they have rattlesnakes in visitor’s locker room in San Antonio.

3. titansbro - May 8, 2014 at 9:12 PM

Lol at the Shaq comment

4. ptownbearsfan420 - May 8, 2014 at 9:46 PM

Spurs…. Fuggin’ snakes!

5. kb2408 - May 8, 2014 at 9:49 PM

Get those mf’ing snakes out this mf’ing locker room!!
    *Samuel L. Jackson*

6. miamatt - May 8, 2014 at 9:55 PM

What is Greg Oden doing in San Antonio?

• ProBasketballPundit - May 9, 2014 at 11:14 AM

Hahaha niceeee

7. timb12 - May 8, 2014 at 10:04 PM

When I read rattlesnake I hoped it was THE Rattlesnake, the one and only Stone Cold Steve Austin!

8. tomtravis76 - May 8, 2014 at 10:24 PM

Voodoo

9. tomasekradek - May 9, 2014 at 5:07 AM

Now we can see Pops recipe for Spurs longevity. Man he’s genius, always comes with some fresh tricks to win those games despite having squad with average age about 45

Will LeBron get booed Christmas Day in Miami?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches