May 8, 2014, 8:49 PM EDT
Visiting locker rooms in the NBA are the opposite of opulent. They are small and without frills, meant to keep the opposing team uncomfortable during their stay.
In the past, teams have made some additional adjustments to either the climate in the room or the water temperature to further irritate the opponent. But having a live, venomous reptile in place awaiting the visitors seems like a bit much.
Upon arriving at the AT&T Center for Game 2 versus the Spurs, the Trail Blazers were greeting by an unexpected guest in Thomas Robinson’s locker: a rattlesnake.
“Man, me and Thomas at our lockers as usual,” explained Trail Blazers guard Will Barton. “We’re changing and he goes to put his shoes down and he’s like ‘What the …?’ You know what he said. He’s like ‘There’s a snake under my locker dog!’ And I’m like ‘Stop playing.’ He’s like ‘No for real! A real snake!’ And we just looked under there and there was a snake. I was scared!”
“I just put my shoes down and once I put my shoes down I double looked and I seen a snake sitting there,” said Robinson. “After that, I got away from it. I just seen something curled up and I looked again and it was a snake. No one believed me until they looked in there. It hissed, I backed up.”
Arena security moved in and removed the snake, but not before Mo Williams snapped some photos.
“We get in the lockerroom n its a damn snake, yea a snake in the lockerroom. Man we was scared as hell,” the caption read.
No one was hurt, but there’s no question that the Blazers were a little freaked out by the experience.
We’re told the snake was not a rattler and was not venomous, but still. THERE WAS A SNAKE IN THE FRIGGIN LOCKER ROOM
— Jeff McDonald (@JMcDonald_SAEN) May 9, 2014
To which I say: Yeah, but still.
- PBT Extra: Did Chicago make the right move in firing Thibodeau? 0
- Bulls front office on Tom Thibodeau firing: “We probably wouldn’t be sitting here if we won a championship” 5
- Bulls fire Tom Thibodeau 58
- Dwight Howard: “I’m still a champion. And I won’t let anyone tell me anything different.” 64
- Rockets had an excellent season. Are they content with that? 22
- Harden struggles, Warriors role players step up leading team to Finals for first time in 40 years 40
- Dwight Howard hit with suspension-triggering technical foul 7
- PBT Extra: Cavaliers’ improved defense helps them to Finals 8