May 8, 2014, 8:49 PM EDT
Visiting locker rooms in the NBA are the opposite of opulent. They are small and without frills, meant to keep the opposing team uncomfortable during their stay.
In the past, teams have made some additional adjustments to either the climate in the room or the water temperature to further irritate the opponent. But having a live, venomous reptile in place awaiting the visitors seems like a bit much.
Upon arriving at the AT&T Center for Game 2 versus the Spurs, the Trail Blazers were greeting by an unexpected guest in Thomas Robinson’s locker: a rattlesnake.
“Man, me and Thomas at our lockers as usual,” explained Trail Blazers guard Will Barton. “We’re changing and he goes to put his shoes down and he’s like ‘What the …?’ You know what he said. He’s like ‘There’s a snake under my locker dog!’ And I’m like ‘Stop playing.’ He’s like ‘No for real! A real snake!’ And we just looked under there and there was a snake. I was scared!”
“I just put my shoes down and once I put my shoes down I double looked and I seen a snake sitting there,” said Robinson. “After that, I got away from it. I just seen something curled up and I looked again and it was a snake. No one believed me until they looked in there. It hissed, I backed up.”
Arena security moved in and removed the snake, but not before Mo Williams snapped some photos.
“We get in the lockerroom n its a damn snake, yea a snake in the lockerroom. Man we was scared as hell,” the caption read.
No one was hurt, but there’s no question that the Blazers were a little freaked out by the experience.
We’re told the snake was not a rattler and was not venomous, but still. THERE WAS A SNAKE IN THE FRIGGIN LOCKER ROOM
— Jeff McDonald (@JMcDonald_SAEN) May 9, 2014
To which I say: Yeah, but still.
- NBA players’ union head believes new labor deal can be reached without a work stoppage 4
- Kendrick Perkins says you’re blowing the LeBron James/Kevin Love thing way out of proportion 15
- Mark Cuban rips officials, NBA: ‘It’s criminal’ how Monta Ellis doesn’t get calls 23
- Shaquille O’Neal says he regrets leaving Magic for Lakers 43
- Cavaliers coach David Blatt: ‘LeBron James is our MVP’ 22
- No Durant, what does that mean for Thunder in these playoffs? Trouble. 15
- Kevin Durant to have third foot surgery; is done for season, playoffs 39
- Goran Dragic leading feisty Heat’s playoff push 29