Watch Kevin Durant’s FULL MVP acceptance speech

May 7, 2014, 9:22 AM EST

If you watched the highlights of Kevin Durant’s MVP-acceptance speech yesterday, that was a good start. Please don’t stop there.

I can’t recommend enough that you watch the full version.

The beauty of the speech was its depth. For more than 20 minutes, Durant shares heartfelt words with the audience.

His appreciation for his mother was great, and that probably came through on highlight versions. Durant also thanked his teammates – all his teammates, individually by name and with incredible sincerity. Personally, I thought that was just amazing, and highlights didn’t include the lengths he went to include everyone.

This has been hailed as an all-time great NBA-MVP-acceptance press conference, which it was. But it was also an all-time great press conference in any field.

Even in the Q&A portion, Durant dazzled. At the conclusion, he was asked how he decided to give the speech he did.

“When they told me I was going to win this prestigious award, the first thing I did was go to YouTube, and I looked at what LeBron James said a few years ago and what Derrick Rose said,” Durant said. “And I just tried to change it up a little bit. I wanted to come here and hit everybody in the face with what I said so they could feel it. I wanted to leave my mark.”

He did.

Do yourself a favor and watch the full version when you have some free time.

1. jzone954 - May 7, 2014 at 9:32 AM

KD. God bless you sir

• spthegr8 - May 7, 2014 at 9:57 AM

Kd is a just a Good Dude Man. If you don’t like him. Their is something wrong with you. A Great speech and a well deserved MVP!!!!! Now go and BUST the Clipp’s A$$ Tonight!!!

2. usavebob - May 7, 2014 at 9:34 AM

They should include this speech as part of HS curriculum in leadership seminars or require that all sport teams view it as it speaks to the power of humility and hard work.
    One of a kind.

3. duhwighthoward - May 7, 2014 at 9:42 AM

Duncan took his team to the Finals last year and the best record this year. Why wasn’t he up there?

Props to Kevin Durant though!

• john242322 - May 7, 2014 at 12:06 PM

huh??

• paleihe - May 7, 2014 at 1:23 PM

“…last year.”

Last year was 2013. This award is for the 2014 regular season. Get your ish together.

• duhwighthoward - May 7, 2014 at 2:19 PM

Shut your piehole, paihele!

He led the Spurs to the best record in the NBA this season!

4. kb2408 - May 7, 2014 at 9:54 AM

What an awesome speech. I’m not ashamed to admit I shed a couple of tears myself. The way he thanked each and every one of his teammates was special. I joke about him coming to L.A. but it wouldn’t bother me if he stays in OKC for the rest of his career. I’d hate to see a fanbase lose such a special player to another city.

5. bucrightoff - May 7, 2014 at 10:00 AM

A tremendous human being, first and foremost.

6. cantonb0und13 - May 7, 2014 at 10:15 AM

And before the other canton that copy my name comment on my post…

So LeBron is a cheater because he’s like the Calvin Johnson and Adrian Peterson of basketball? LeBron keeps himself in such a tremendous shape, that he looks like he’s cheating? That’s actually a compliment.

• money2long - May 7, 2014 at 10:47 AM

Guys let’s start a movement to completely ignore posts from this poster. No thumbs ups. No thumbs down. No reply comments from this point. Please. It take a village to remove an idiot. Start now. Do not acknowledge this poster whatsoever. This will make him or her go away. Please be all in on this. Why he chooses such a heartfelt article to continue his foolery is amazing. So please stop giving him or her attention.

Thank you all for your cooperation.

• money2long - May 7, 2014 at 10:49 AM

The person is the fake countoutbound. I dunno why it’s writing this as an individual comment. This website and its bugs. Smh

• southbeachtalent - May 7, 2014 at 12:02 PM

hahahaha got under your skin?

• money2long - May 7, 2014 at 12:04 PM

I don’t have skin. I’m an alien

• money2long - May 7, 2014 at 10:48 AM

Thank you all for your cooperation.

• john242322 - May 7, 2014 at 12:08 PM

What are you even talking about? This is about Durant’s once in a lifetime speech. Get outta here with your Lebron talk. No one cares

7. shanelsweet - May 7, 2014 at 10:24 AM

Thanks so much for recommending. It was the best thing I’ve seen in a while. Just such a heartwarming speech from a wonderful young man.

8. gameisours - May 7, 2014 at 11:04 AM

I repeat myself: A role model.

9. nykfanwakemeupin2015 - May 7, 2014 at 1:11 PM

Other players should take notice on how to be a gentleman off the court……Bravo KD

10. Dogsweat - May 7, 2014 at 1:35 PM

Keven Durant was drafted by the Sonics, not the OKC Plunder,his Trophy is an abomination.

• cantonb0und13 - May 7, 2014 at 2:49 PM

Well said

• theonlysaneblazerfan - May 7, 2014 at 5:31 PM

Yeah because it was his decision to move the team…

• Dogsweat - May 15, 2014 at 7:26 PM

Kevin wanted to go to Oklahoma City, because it is the New York of the Midwest. There’s millions of things to do.

• asimonetti88 - Aug 6, 2014 at 12:33 AM

Incorrect. KD liked Seattle, he kept his house there for years even after the team moved.

11. antistratfordian - May 7, 2014 at 5:35 PM

Soft.

Who will land Josh Smith?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches