May 7, 2014, 9:22 AM EST
If you watched the highlights of Kevin Durant’s MVP-acceptance speech yesterday, that was a good start. Please don’t stop there.
I can’t recommend enough that you watch the full version.
The beauty of the speech was its depth. For more than 20 minutes, Durant shares heartfelt words with the audience.
His appreciation for his mother was great, and that probably came through on highlight versions. Durant also thanked his teammates – all his teammates, individually by name and with incredible sincerity. Personally, I thought that was just amazing, and highlights didn’t include the lengths he went to include everyone.
This has been hailed as an all-time great NBA-MVP-acceptance press conference, which it was. But it was also an all-time great press conference in any field.
Even in the Q&A portion, Durant dazzled. At the conclusion, he was asked how he decided to give the speech he did.
“When they told me I was going to win this prestigious award, the first thing I did was go to YouTube, and I looked at what LeBron James said a few years ago and what Derrick Rose said,” Durant said. “And I just tried to change it up a little bit. I wanted to come here and hit everybody in the face with what I said so they could feel it. I wanted to leave my mark.”
Do yourself a favor and watch the full version when you have some free time.
- Clippers win ‘nice, boring’ Christmas Day battle with Warriors 0
- Miami fans give LeBron warm welcome, Heat team not so much in upset win 6
- Russell Westbrook inspires Thunder to skid-stopping win over Spurs 8
- LeBron James, Stephen Curry leading in early All-Star voting returns 16
- PBT Christmas Day preview: Late game between Clippers and Warriors will see league’s best rivalry renewed 1
- PBT Extra: Top 5 NBA stories of 2014 0
- Five things to watch as NBA takes over Christmas Day 16
- Cavaliers center Anderson Varejao tears Achilles, done for season 30