May 7, 2014, 9:22 AM EDT
If you watched the highlights of Kevin Durant’s MVP-acceptance speech yesterday, that was a good start. Please don’t stop there.
I can’t recommend enough that you watch the full version.
The beauty of the speech was its depth. For more than 20 minutes, Durant shares heartfelt words with the audience.
His appreciation for his mother was great, and that probably came through on highlight versions. Durant also thanked his teammates – all his teammates, individually by name and with incredible sincerity. Personally, I thought that was just amazing, and highlights didn’t include the lengths he went to include everyone.
This has been hailed as an all-time great NBA-MVP-acceptance press conference, which it was. But it was also an all-time great press conference in any field.
Even in the Q&A portion, Durant dazzled. At the conclusion, he was asked how he decided to give the speech he did.
“When they told me I was going to win this prestigious award, the first thing I did was go to YouTube, and I looked at what LeBron James said a few years ago and what Derrick Rose said,” Durant said. “And I just tried to change it up a little bit. I wanted to come here and hit everybody in the face with what I said so they could feel it. I wanted to leave my mark.”
Do yourself a favor and watch the full version when you have some free time.
- Andray Blatche signs deal to play in China next season 4
- UPDATED Report: Timberwolves make push for Eric Bledsoe, Suns not interested in sign-and-trade talks 38
- LeBron James unveils latest signature shoe from Nike: The LEBRON 12 12
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Toronto Raptors 10
- Dwyane Wade credits David Stern’s dress code for improving his style 18
- Kevin Durant has grown close with Karl Malone 15
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Philadelphia 76ers 5
- Steve Kerr said Danny Ferry made mistake but is a “man of high character” 38