May 7, 2014, 2:54 AM EDT
Our quick look around the NBA, or what you missed while trying to decide if you were going to buy Marv Albert’s New York penthouse…
Tony Parker, San Antonio Spurs. I think we knew going in Damian Lillard could not cover Parker, but in case Portland coach Terry Stotts wanted confirmation of that he got it — Parker put up 33 points on 13-of-24 shooting plus had 9 assists. He took charge of the game early on led San Antonio to the first round win (that’s two stogy games in a row for Parker and the Sours)
Spurs defense. San Antonio’s defensive strategy was simple and brilliant: Play LaMarcus Aldridge 1-on-1 with Tiago Splitter and live with the results, but make sure nobody else gets clean looks and run them off the three point line. In Game 1 Aldridge had 32 points on 12-25 shooting (with 14 rebounds) but the Trail Blazers shot 4-of-16 from three. Blazers not named Aldridge shot 33 percent. Portland’s starting five shot 6-of-28 in the 17 minutes they were on the court together. The Blazers had an offensive rating of 90.5 (points per 100 possessions). Or, to see how good a job the Spurs did check out the Trail Blazers shot chart.
LeBron James, Miami Heat. He was rested not rusty. After more than a week off LeBron looked sharp and had 22 points on 15 shots, leading the Heat as they pulled away in the third quarter of what became an easy win. The Nets simply had no answer, no way to stop him and LeBron enjoyed doing what he wanted in leading the charge in the second half. This could be a monster series for him, there’s a lot of pressure on the Nets now to figure out a new plan.
- Derrick Rose sits out another Team USA practice, not likely to start Wednesday 18
- DeMarcus Cousins practices with team USA Tuesday, says he’s 50-50 for Wednesday game 2
- Jim Boeheim says of Carmelo Anthony, “it would have been better to go to Chicago” 30
- Steve Ballmer screams like a maniac at Clippers rally 26
- Thibodeau calls Team USA “perfect setting” for Derrick Rose to make return 6
- What four players left likely to get cut from Team USA roster? Things don’t look good for Andre Drummond. 19
- John Calipari says he was not close to going to Cleveland. LeBron or not. 12
- Report: Shawn Marion commits to play with Cavaliers, LeBron James 47