May 7, 2014, 2:54 AM EST
Our quick look around the NBA, or what you missed while trying to decide if you were going to buy Marv Albert’s New York penthouse…
Tony Parker, San Antonio Spurs. I think we knew going in Damian Lillard could not cover Parker, but in case Portland coach Terry Stotts wanted confirmation of that he got it — Parker put up 33 points on 13-of-24 shooting plus had 9 assists. He took charge of the game early on led San Antonio to the first round win (that’s two stogy games in a row for Parker and the Sours)
Spurs defense. San Antonio’s defensive strategy was simple and brilliant: Play LaMarcus Aldridge 1-on-1 with Tiago Splitter and live with the results, but make sure nobody else gets clean looks and run them off the three point line. In Game 1 Aldridge had 32 points on 12-25 shooting (with 14 rebounds) but the Trail Blazers shot 4-of-16 from three. Blazers not named Aldridge shot 33 percent. Portland’s starting five shot 6-of-28 in the 17 minutes they were on the court together. The Blazers had an offensive rating of 90.5 (points per 100 possessions). Or, to see how good a job the Spurs did check out the Trail Blazers shot chart.
LeBron James, Miami Heat. He was rested not rusty. After more than a week off LeBron looked sharp and had 22 points on 15 shots, leading the Heat as they pulled away in the third quarter of what became an easy win. The Nets simply had no answer, no way to stop him and LeBron enjoyed doing what he wanted in leading the charge in the second half. This could be a monster series for him, there’s a lot of pressure on the Nets now to figure out a new plan.
- Pistons release Josh Smith. WHAT? 25
- Lakers may give Kobe Bryant some nights off to rest. If he wants them. 23
- PBT’s Sunday Night Winners/Losers: Anthony Davis is playing like an MVP 10
- Sources: Kings prefer George Karl, not serious about hiring Mark Jackson 8
- Nuggets Danilo Gallinari has meniscus tear in right knee, out three weeks after surgery 7
- Rajon Rondo was very Rondoesque in debut with Mavericks (VIDEO) 20
- Report: Kings discussing trade for Deron Williams with Nets 14
- Report: Multiple teams contacting Suns trying to trade for Goran Dragic 10