May 7, 2014, 10:25 AM EDT
How has Gregg Popovich won only one Coach of the Year award? How has R.C. Buford never won Executive of the Year?
Consider those perceived Spurs-related slights fixed and fixed.
After Popovich earned his second Coach of the Year in the last three seasons (bringing his total to three), longtime Spurs general manager Buford won the 2013-14 Executive of the Year.
Consider this a lifetime achievement award. Buford’s key moves in the last year – signing Marco Belinelli, re-signing Manu Ginobili, re-signing Tiago Splitter, drafting Livio Jean-Charles – are pedestrian relative to Buford’s years of team-building.
Seventeen general managers – most of the league – received votes, and 11 received first-place votes. That parity created an opening for Buford to win in a season his biggest accomplishment was keeping in tact everything he’d assembled previously.
I feel bad for the Suns’ Ryan McDonough, who was my choice for the honor and finished second. In his first year on the job, he made the Suns better in the short term and set them up beautifully for the long term by acquiring multiple first-round picks. I believe he did the best job this year, which is what the award is literally supposed to honor. It’s just bad luck to do so in a year voters – the NBA’s 30 top executives themselves – decide to honor someone’s entire career.
But in that sense, the whole award is a little silly. Being a good general manger requires long-term strategizing, and good moves often don’t reveal themselves in the year they occur. Maybe they should hand out this award each year based on the previous five seasons. That would at least more accurately reflect the job these executives are doing.
Buford is one of the NBA’s best – maybe even the best – general manager, and he deserves some type of recognition for that. The 2013-14 Executive of the Year probably isn’t the most appropriate choice, but it’s all there is to give, and in that sense, it’s well-earned.
Full voting (first-, second-, third-place votes, total points)
1. R.C. Buford, San Antonio (9-3-4-58)
2. Ryan McDonough, Phoenix (5-6-4-47)
3. Neil Olshey, Portland (5-2-3-34)
4. Masai Ujiri, Toronto (3-3-4-28)
5. Pat Riley, Miami (1-3-1-15)
5. Sam Presti, Oklahoma City (1-3-1-15)
7. Danny Ainge, Boston (1-2-2-13)
8. Billy King, Brooklyn (2 -0-1-11)
9. Daryl Morey, Houston (0-3-1-10)
9. Ernie Grunfeld, Washington (1-1-2-10)
11. Rod Higgins, Charlotte (1-0-1-6)
11. Larry Bird, Indiana (0-2-0-6)
11. Doc Rivers, L.A. Clippers (0-1-3-6)
14. Bob Myers, Golden State (1-0-0-5)
15. Danny Ferry, Atlanta (0-1-0-3)
16. Gar Forman, Chicago (0-0-2-2)
17. Donnie Nelson, Dallas (0-0-1-1)
Jul 23, 2014, 7:12 PM EDT
Sacramento reportedly plans to file waiver claim on Casspi
Jul 23, 2014, 5:38 PM EDT
If Kevin Love goes to Cleveland does that impact Ray Allen’s decision?
Jul 23, 2014, 5:09 PM EDT
Numbers show a substantial increase in popularity.
Jul 23, 2014, 4:25 PM EDT
Exum is a project but he also could be the point guard of the future in Utah.
Jul 23, 2014, 3:40 PM EDT
“I was about to get him kicked out of the camp,” Wade joked.
Jul 23, 2014, 2:56 PM EDT
Good pickup to add some depth at the point, something Dallas needed unless you’re expecting a monster bounce-back season for Raymond Felton.
Jul 23, 2014, 2:09 PM EDT
Is it better than the offer being put together by the Cavaliers?
Jul 23, 2014, 1:30 PM EDT
He was given community services, which he can complete in Dallas where he was traded.
Jul 23, 2014, 12:55 PM EDT
Waiters will continue to be rumored to be available until he proves he can fit in with Kyrie Irving.
Jul 23, 2014, 12:15 PM EDT
Dallas was counting on him for bench depth and now will be looking to replace that help in a depleted market.
Jul 23, 2014, 11:37 AM EDT
Minnesota wants to dump some bad contracts as part of the deal, and Cleveland isn’t taking them.
LeBron James sent cupcakes to Akron neighbors to apologize for commotion caused by his free agent decision
Jul 23, 2014, 11:01 AM EDT
People descended upon LeBron’s neighborhood as rumors swirled.
Jul 23, 2014, 10:21 AM EDT
Stackhouse coached against Hollins at adidas Eurocamp in Italy this summer.
Jul 23, 2014, 9:47 AM EDT
LeBron has used more than just physical gifts to become all-time great NBA player
Jul 23, 2014, 9:16 AM EDT
Pacers center needs confidence more than a skyhook
Jul 23, 2014, 8:45 AM EDT
Russ Smith had a nice Summer League.
Jul 23, 2014, 8:00 AM EDT
Dallas, seeking third point guard, has already met with Mo Williams
Jul 23, 2014, 1:00 AM EDT
As Cavaliers position themselves for Kevin Love trade, now was the time to sign No. 33 pick
Jul 23, 2014, 12:00 AM EDT
Bzdelik, who most recently coached Wake Forest, previously served as Nuggets head coach
Jul 22, 2014, 11:20 PM EDT
Bieber wearing a Nets hat, so you know what that means…
- Report: Jameer Nelson near $2.7 million deal to join Dallas Mavericks 9
- Report: Mavericks void Rashard Lewis’ contract after it’s discovered he needs knee surgery 9
- Report: Sixers, Nuggets or Celtics could become third team in Kevin Love trade to Cavaliers 40
- Five biggest surprises from Summer League 12
- Justin Bieber and Kevin Durant share brunch (photo) 22
- Clippers CEO: If Sterling remains owner then Doc Rivers, players, sponsors all ready to bolt 60
- Report: Cavaliers trying to acquire other players to put in Kevin Love trade 60
- Report: Bulls making push to trade for Kevin Love 73