Watch: Kevin Durant’s emotional MVP award acceptance speech

May 6, 2014, 8:16 PM EDT

Kevin Durant was named the 2013-14 NBA MVP on Tuesday, and in accepting the award, gave a speech as unique as he has proven to be as a player.

There were several emotional moments that brought Durant to tears. He was as gracious as possible, while thanking teammates individually as well as his family members who were in attendance.

It was as authentic a display from a superstar as you’ll ever see. Check out Durant’s speech in the video clip above.

1. ProBasketballPundit - May 6, 2014 at 8:21 PM

He’s such a p***y. And of course I mean that in the Arrested Development sense… a real sweet fella.

• prokilla - May 6, 2014 at 8:55 PM

The most humble Basketball player in the history of the NBA. He told his mom that she was the “real MVP”.

• antistratfordian - May 6, 2014 at 9:13 PM

Every MVP gushes about their mom. Rose was ballin’ like a new born talking about his mother – that’s when we all found out how soft he really was.

The closest anyone ever got to seeing LeBron cry in public was when he was talking to his mom during his first MVP speech. Didn’t happen though.

But this is the NBA: No Boys Allowed. Big boys don’t cry.

• ranfan12 - May 7, 2014 at 1:49 AM

lol the big 3 were crying like some little girls on tv. almost seems like yesterday.

2. antistratfordian - May 6, 2014 at 8:33 PM

Did he cry again? The last two players who stole LeBron’s MVP cried when they accepted it. Must be the guilt.

• bucrightoff - May 6, 2014 at 9:25 PM

Well we all know if LeBron ever needs a shoulder to cry on, you’ll be there to gentle caress his bald spot.

• kinggw - May 6, 2014 at 9:29 PM

Hilarious

• ProBasketballPundit - May 6, 2014 at 9:40 PM

I bet you cried tonight too because LeBron didn’t win.

3. cantonbound13 - May 6, 2014 at 9:26 PM

He deserved it. Nice to see a cheater not getting the award.

• lazykiz - May 6, 2014 at 9:33 PM

Ikr, how did they let D.Rose get his hands on a MVP?

• chicitybulls - May 6, 2014 at 10:00 PM

Umm, cause he earned it.

• cantonb0und13 - May 6, 2014 at 10:08 PM

So LeBron is a cheater because he’s like the Calvin Johnson and Adrian Peterson of basketball? LeBron keeps himself in such a great shape, that he looks like he’s cheating? That’s actually a compliment.

• duhwighthoward - May 7, 2014 at 8:59 AM

Wait, how many cantonbounds are there?

• cantonbound13 - May 7, 2014 at 3:38 PM

PEDs, moron. I don’t expect you to figure it out, you can’t even make up your own name on here. Fool!

4. joshm5683 - May 6, 2014 at 9:27 PM

Such a genuine dude, Lebron is still the best in the league, but KD definitely earned MVP this year. Always nice to see someone who by all accounts is a nice person get ahead in life in whatever they are doing.

5. lazykiz - May 6, 2014 at 9:33 PM

Enjoy it, I’ll get the MVP that matters – LeBron

6. mrp0po - May 6, 2014 at 9:57 PM

best speech from an NBA player i heard

• ihavenonickname - May 6, 2014 at 10:16 PM

Maybe second only to David robinsons HOF acceptance speech.

7. totallyuselessme - May 6, 2014 at 10:24 PM

How could you not like this guy?

8. bronx77 - May 7, 2014 at 1:05 AM

I like durant the more I hear about him and the more I watch him play. Probably one of my favorite players in the league.

9. campcouch - May 7, 2014 at 3:39 AM

Are all of these dudes mamas boys? Ah well,my parents split and of course mom kept me,but my old man was there for me all the time,so I guess I can’t empathize with these grown dudes always crying about their moms. It’s like they’re dating or something. I love mine to death but my universe doesn’t revolve around her,she’s just one of the big planets in it. Marc Gasol for MVP!

• granadafan - May 7, 2014 at 12:05 PM

Uh campcouch, most of them grew up without fathers, so it was left to the mothers to raise the kids on their own with little to no support from the biological “fathers”.

10. gameisours - May 7, 2014 at 4:43 AM

A role model.

11. duhwighthoward - May 7, 2014 at 9:08 AM

Great speech by great player. Truly deserving. He just goes out there and plays. No ego. And unbelievably good.

Unlike “King James” aka “Chosen One” (look at the tat that spans his shoulder blades – since high school!) who is constantly grimacing, snarling, whining, crying, complaining, feigning shock, pouting, and otherwise flopping. Most talented player, impossible to root for.

12. duhwighthoward - May 7, 2014 at 9:11 AM

One question though: Considering last year’s playoffs and the fact he led them to the league’s best record, why didn’t Tim Duncan receive more votes?

I cast my votes as:
    1) Blake Griffin
    2) Kevin Durant
    3) Tim Duncan

• unxpexted1 - May 7, 2014 at 10:14 AM

You’re kidding right?

13. granadafan - May 7, 2014 at 12:08 PM

Showing emotion as you thank your mother who made many sacrifices to raise you right and all the teammates and coaches is NOT a sign of weakness as some have suggested. It’s a sign you’re human and a mature adult to properly show respect to others who helped you get where you are in life.

Why can't Lakers have a player-coach?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches