May 6, 2014, 9:22 AM EST
Kevin Ollie’s one-foot-in, on-foot-out approach with the Lakers has him moving one step closer to Los Angeles.
Ollie is reportedly both interested in the Lakers’ coaching vacancy and negotiating a contract extension with Connecticut. There’s nothing wrong with playing both sides, ensuring he’ll get the best deal wherever he ends up, but eventually Ollie must decide where he’ll coach next season.
So how do Ollie and the Lakers start to do that? Talking.
Bill Reiter of Fox Sports:
Announcement: Pro Basketball Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a $30,000 Fantasy Basketball league that includes Tuesday and Wednesday night’s games. It’s $25 to join and first prize is $5,000. Starts at 7pm ET on Tuesday. Here’s the FanDuel link.
As well as Ollie projects to translate to the NBA, there would still likely be a decent learning curve. It’s difficult to the Lakers competing next season, but if they’re committed to attempting to get Kobe one more title, they should shoot for 2015-16. Ollie could learn on the job next season and prepare to coach at a higher level in two years.
And then if all goes well, Kobe could ride off into the sunset, and the Lakers would have a quality, seasoned coach going forward.
- Report: Timberwolves’ Ricky Rubio set to return Monday vs. Dallas 8
- Nike unveils latest signature shoe for Kobe Bryant, the Kobe X (PHOTOS) 11
- Report: Nuggets trying to trade for Brook Lopez 12
- Last summer Carmelo Anthony, Kobe Bryant talked, decided it wouldn’t work together 32
- Jimmy Butler even plans to play defense in the All-Star Game 9
- Damian Lillard “disappointed,” “disrespected” not to make All-Star team 45
- DeMarcus Cousins replaces Kobe Bryant in All-Star game 11
- Tyson Chandler, better than ever, thinking legacy 10