May 6, 2014, 9:22 AM EDT
Kevin Ollie’s one-foot-in, on-foot-out approach with the Lakers has him moving one step closer to Los Angeles.
Ollie is reportedly both interested in the Lakers’ coaching vacancy and negotiating a contract extension with Connecticut. There’s nothing wrong with playing both sides, ensuring he’ll get the best deal wherever he ends up, but eventually Ollie must decide where he’ll coach next season.
So how do Ollie and the Lakers start to do that? Talking.
Bill Reiter of Fox Sports:
Announcement: Pro Basketball Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a $30,000 Fantasy Basketball league that includes Tuesday and Wednesday night’s games. It’s $25 to join and first prize is $5,000. Starts at 7pm ET on Tuesday. Here’s the FanDuel link.
As well as Ollie projects to translate to the NBA, there would still likely be a decent learning curve. It’s difficult to the Lakers competing next season, but if they’re committed to attempting to get Kobe one more title, they should shoot for 2015-16. Ollie could learn on the job next season and prepare to coach at a higher level in two years.
And then if all goes well, Kobe could ride off into the sunset, and the Lakers would have a quality, seasoned coach going forward.
- Portland comes from 10 down in fourth quarter to win 99-92, stay alive in series 0
- Bucks stay alive behind big backcourt performance to force Game 6 vs. Bulls 10
- Incredible 35-point performance from Deron Williams leads Nets to overtime Game 4 win over Hawks 9
- PBT Extra with NBASavant.com: Wizard’s defense peaking at right time 2
- Report: Chandler Parsons to have knee surgery, could require microfracture surgery 6
- Cavaliers’ J.R. Smith gets two-game suspension for shot to Jae Crowder’s head 38
- PBT Extra with NBASavant.com: Draymond Green helped hold Anthony Davis in relative check 6
- Cavaliers’ Kevin Love out for entire conference semifinals (likely vs. Bulls) 15