May 6, 2014, 9:22 AM EDT
Kevin Ollie’s one-foot-in, on-foot-out approach with the Lakers has him moving one step closer to Los Angeles.
Ollie is reportedly both interested in the Lakers’ coaching vacancy and negotiating a contract extension with Connecticut. There’s nothing wrong with playing both sides, ensuring he’ll get the best deal wherever he ends up, but eventually Ollie must decide where he’ll coach next season.
So how do Ollie and the Lakers start to do that? Talking.
Bill Reiter of Fox Sports:
Announcement: Pro Basketball Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a $30,000 Fantasy Basketball league that includes Tuesday and Wednesday night’s games. It’s $25 to join and first prize is $5,000. Starts at 7pm ET on Tuesday. Here’s the FanDuel link.
As well as Ollie projects to translate to the NBA, there would still likely be a decent learning curve. It’s difficult to the Lakers competing next season, but if they’re committed to attempting to get Kobe one more title, they should shoot for 2015-16. Ollie could learn on the job next season and prepare to coach at a higher level in two years.
And then if all goes well, Kobe could ride off into the sunset, and the Lakers would have a quality, seasoned coach going forward.
- PBT Extra with NBASavant.com: Number shows Matthew Dellavedova’s defensive value 1
- PBT Extra with NBASavant.com: Cleveland may want to cover Curry in the left corner 2
- It’s official: Scott Skiles hired as head coach of Orlando Magic 26
- PBT Podcast: Talking Thibodeau/Bulls divorce; future for Rockets, Hawks 0
- Warriors’ Klay Thompson officially diagnosed with concussion 22
- Klay Thompson should not have been cleared to return to Game 5 after concussion evaluation 16
- Dwight Howard suspended one game after foul switcheroo 18
- Three coaches who may replace Tom Thibodeau in Chicago 15