May 6, 2014, 11:22 AM EDT
Kevin Durant is the NBA’s MVP, the league announced Tuesday.
He is second no more.
Durant won the award going away, collecting 119 of the 125 first place votes (124 of those cast by media members, one by fan vote, you can see the voting results here). The other six went to LeBron James, who finished second in the voting. Those two were well ahead of the rest of the pack.
Durant averaged 32 points a game (his fourth scoring title in five years) with a ridiculous true shooting percentage of 63.5 percent, while also pulling down 7.4 rebounds and dishing out 5.5 assists per game. More than that, he stepped up his play when Russell Westbrook went down injured, keeping the team at the top of the Western Conference and making them contenders. He was efficient both as a scorer and a playmaker. Yes, the peak of LeBron is a still a better player than Durant, but KD played at his peak all season while LeBron did not (particularly defensively).
Here is a wrap up of the voting (with point totals in parenthesis).
Kevin Durant, Oklahoma City (1,232)
LeBron James, Miami (891)
Blake Griffin, L.A. Clippers (434)
Joakim Noah, Chicago (322)
James Harden, Houston (85)
Stephen Curry, Golden State (66)
Chris Paul, L.A. Clippers (45)
Al Jefferson, Charlotte (34)
Paul George, Indiana (33)
LaMarcus Aldridge, Portland (26)
Kevin Love, Minnesota (25)
Tim Duncan, San Antonio (21)
Tony Parker, San Antonio (21)
Dirk Nowitzki, Dallas (7)
Carmelo Anthony, New York (4)
Goran Dragic, Phoenix (3)
Mike Conley, Memphis (1)
- Elimination game Josh Smith is a thing, Rockets live to play another day 0
- Rockets show it’s better to have James Harden than to not have Stephen Curry 3
- Stephen Curry leaves game after taking a hard fall, cleared to return (VIDEO) 6
- Rumor: Paul Pierce might opt out of contract with Wizards, join Clippers 15
- Golden State Warriors vs. Houston Rockets Game 4: Three things to watch from Houston 7
- LeBron James posts triple-double, Al Horford ejected as Cavaliers take 3-0 series lead with OT Game 3 win over Hawks 30
- Kyrie Irving out for Game 3 for Cavaliers with knee tendonitis 3
- Lil B says James Harden is officially under the Based God’s curse 31