May 6, 2014, 4:45 PM EDT
Here is why this matters: For Brooklyn to beat Miami they are going to need great point guard play. Deron Williams has to own the series that starts Tuesday night in Miami.
During Game 6 between the Nets and Raptors, Williams rolled his ankle.
Before Game 7, he got a couple shots in those ankles, Williams told reporters at shootaround Tuesday. From Stefan Bondy of the New York Daily News.
Deron Williams said he had two injections into his ankle before Game 7: cortisone and an anti-inflammatory.—
Stefan Bondy (@NYDNInterNets) May 06, 2014
Williams also said this would not slow him against the Heat. He had 13 points on 3-of-8 shooting, with four assists in Game 7 against Toronto.
Williams averaged just 7.3 points a game on 33 percent shooting against Miami this season, although he did dish out 7.3 points a game against them.
That said, it’s very hard to read into the regular season meetings between the Nets and Heat and pull much of value out of those games to apply to the playoffs. Dwyane Wade and Kevin Garnett both missed games, while Norris Cole got huge run against the Nets. By the way, the Nets playoff starting lineup did not play one minute together this season against the Heat.
Williams will have to have a big series against the Heat, we’ll see if his ankle lets him approach that.
- Report: Mavericks void Rashard Lewis’ contract after it’s discovered he needs knee surgery 4
- Report: Sixers, Nuggets or Celtics could become third team in Kevin Love trade to Cavaliers 19
- Five biggest surprises from Summer League 12
- Justin Bieber and Kevin Durant share brunch (photo) 22
- Clippers CEO: If Sterling remains owner then Doc Rivers, players, sponsors all ready to bolt 55
- Report: Cavaliers trying to acquire other players to put in Kevin Love trade 60
- Report: Bulls making push to trade for Kevin Love 73
- Seven standout players from Las Vegas Summer League 11