May 6, 2014, 4:45 PM EDT
Here is why this matters: For Brooklyn to beat Miami they are going to need great point guard play. Deron Williams has to own the series that starts Tuesday night in Miami.
During Game 6 between the Nets and Raptors, Williams rolled his ankle.
Before Game 7, he got a couple shots in those ankles, Williams told reporters at shootaround Tuesday. From Stefan Bondy of the New York Daily News.
Williams also said this would not slow him against the Heat. He had 13 points on 3-of-8 shooting, with four assists in Game 7 against Toronto.
Williams averaged just 7.3 points a game on 33 percent shooting against Miami this season, although he did dish out 7.3 points a game against them.
That said, it’s very hard to read into the regular season meetings between the Nets and Heat and pull much of value out of those games to apply to the playoffs. Dwyane Wade and Kevin Garnett both missed games, while Norris Cole got huge run against the Nets. By the way, the Nets playoff starting lineup did not play one minute together this season against the Heat.
Williams will have to have a big series against the Heat, we’ll see if his ankle lets him approach that.
- Jahlil Okafor: “Rookie of the Year is one of the goals I set for myself” 5
- Report: Derrick Rose undecided about attending Team USA minicamp 8
- Report: Pacers planning to purchase D-League’s Fort Wayne Mad Ants 3
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott told police after arrest all drugs in car were his 17
- NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure 1
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 9
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession 16
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 48