Wizards or Lady Gaga: Verizon Center has potential Game 6 conflict

May 5, 2014, 6:12 PM EDT

Lady Gaga Lady Gaga

The Washington Wizards can solve this problem, all they have to do is sweep the Indiana Pacers.

As that is not likely — although predicting how Indiana is going to play this series is impossible — the Verizon Center in Washington D.C. now has a battle with The Fame Monster on its hands.

The venue is double booked for May 15: Game 6 between the Wizards and Pacers, and a Lady Gaga concert. The fantastic Michael Lee at the Washington Post has the details.

The Wizards released a statement on Saturday night that read, “We are aware of the potential conflict and are working with the promoter in the event Game 6 is necessary, more information will be released when it becomes available.”

They are trying to find a new date… shouldn’t there be some Washington Wizards playoff dates available? They’re not using them.

What is funny is the Washington Post found some Little Monsters (aka Gaga fans) who took to twitter freaking out about a potential change.

1. genericusername93 - May 5, 2014 at 6:16 PM

Geez those tweets are sad

• cantonb0und13 - May 5, 2014 at 6:21 PM

Henry Jr. Monsters vs. People …. LMAO!

• RavenzGunnerz - May 6, 2014 at 3:19 PM

I guess the surprise for me is that people still listen to Lady Gaga

• j0esixpack - May 5, 2014 at 11:25 PM

The answer is staring everyone in the face

If it comes to it, by special fiat of the commissioner, Lady Gaga herself will play the Pacers while also providing the pre, half and post game entertainment

• redbaronx - May 6, 2014 at 12:59 AM

Like …OMG they will cry! They’ll be ‘rely’ devastated. And “like they will be riots!” and “Do not postponed”

Illiterate girls! LMAO.

• nykfanwakemeupin2015 - May 6, 2014 at 10:25 AM

A lot of happy men tweeting about Lady Gaga

2. cantonb0und13 - May 5, 2014 at 6:19 PM

Lady Gaga > Wizards… But I had Wizards winning in 6, just make them play at Rucker Park.

• cantonb0und13 - May 5, 2014 at 6:26 PM

Actually reschedule Lady Gaga concert, it’s not like she’s Shakira or Beyonce.

With that being said, who y’all got: Shakira or Beyonce? Can only pick one.

I got Shakira.

• basketballhooper1 - May 5, 2014 at 7:11 PM

Shakira mah brother

• norcal031 - May 5, 2014 at 7:35 PM

Shakira for sure. Beyonce is trying to turn into a white woman.

• antistratfordian - May 5, 2014 at 9:30 PM

Gotta go Beyonce.

@norcal031 – don’t act like you hate it.

• elcapitanfiscal - May 6, 2014 at 3:47 AM

Shakira Shakira

• trevor123698 - May 6, 2014 at 5:09 AM

Niykee Heaton

• duhwighthoward - May 6, 2014 at 11:29 AM

Tough choice. They still look good even after they got knocked up.

Maybe Shakira, so she can demonstrate what she means by “hips don’t lie”

3. cbking05 - May 5, 2014 at 6:23 PM

Can’t blame the Wizards for this conflict of scheduling…Wizards aren’t used to playing this far in to the year … Poker Face is gonna have to find another arena

4. jsala02 - May 5, 2014 at 6:24 PM

I was going to make a comment, until I saw these are all special needs children

5. seanb20124 - May 5, 2014 at 7:05 PM

Shakira is past her sell by date

• cantonb0und13 - May 5, 2014 at 7:08 PM

Can I get Anna Kendrick than?

• longtallsam - May 5, 2014 at 9:22 PM

Yeah…I bet you really believe that, like you wouldn’t love to jump her.

6. hurricanegrabowski - May 5, 2014 at 7:07 PM

Wait, people pay to see Gaga in person?

7. phillyphil005 - May 5, 2014 at 7:09 PM

After reading those pathetic tweets, im now praying for a game 6 just so those same people can go on suicide watch…

8. philyeagles5 - May 5, 2014 at 7:24 PM

Is that a pic of Steven Tyler?

9. chargerdillon - May 5, 2014 at 7:32 PM

I’m just saying…..they schedule these tours WAYYYYYY in advance. So if anybody should have to move it should be the Wizards.

When they were planning these schedules you know darn well somebody said……what are the odds the Wizards actually make the playoffs and even win a round?!

If i were going to a concert and this happened i’d be livid too. Especially if you had special plans for it and paid well in advance like all of these people had to do in order to make sure they would get such a hot ticket in the first place.

Appeasing Lady Gaga does nothing for the thousands of fans you’ve already collected money from for an event.

• hwatt - May 6, 2014 at 1:37 PM

wizards own the arena. it’s good to be the king.

10. watermelon1 - May 5, 2014 at 7:41 PM

Wouldn’t it just be easier for NBA to reschedule for the next day? They’ve given plenty of series 2 nights between games before.

11. atwatercrushesokoye - May 5, 2014 at 7:47 PM

Looking at that picture of Lady Gaga one has to wonder why exactly she decided to wrap herself in a fire hose? I’m also pretty shocked that her 15 minutes of fame aren’t up, but then from reading what her fans had to say I guess the intelligence level isn’t high, my favorite was the one that talked about riots and then ended with “like bye” I guess English teachers have just given up trying.

12. mrlaloosh - May 5, 2014 at 8:35 PM

Ain’t no white women named Beyoncé.

13. bronx77 - May 5, 2014 at 8:36 PM

I like the one that says basketball can wait like a concert that has no meaningful impact or outcome is more important. I understand the concert was planned first. I would be mad if I had got the day off work and bought tickets and paid for a hotel. But then again I’d probably just be mad at myself for wasting so much money

14. cowboysallday - May 5, 2014 at 8:36 PM

“Not likely” hahahahaha

15. haaaaasoooooo - May 5, 2014 at 8:46 PM

That’s not lady gaga. That’s a pic of Alice Cooper from 1977. Duh.
    And……Beyoncé.
    I too, was once drunk and in love.

16. haaaaasoooooo - May 5, 2014 at 8:48 PM

My bad! My bad! That’s actually Dee Snider circa 1985.

17. chiadam - May 5, 2014 at 9:07 PM

Why do they have a picture of Steven Tyler in a story about Lady Gaga?

18. joshm5683 - May 5, 2014 at 9:16 PM

I like the one girl who says there will be riots if they have the basketball game instead of the Lady Gaga concert…….a bunch of emo white kids shouting PG-13 language at a bunch of full grown adults and some of them from seedy areas of DC/Baltimore? Good luck little monsters………

• redbaronx - May 6, 2014 at 1:08 AM

@joshm5683 – I can see the headline news the next day….

“Monsters protest, spanked by Wizards fans”

19. themike31 - May 5, 2014 at 10:46 PM

Can’t they use that gym Georgetown had to use for the NIT?

And by they, I mean the Gaga concert…battle royale, only 1000 survivors get in.

Natural selection at its finest.

20. tdl8 - May 5, 2014 at 11:55 PM

All these Lady Gaga fan Tweets and comments on here about moving the NBA game are SERIOUSLY confused about how this works and the logistics involved with moving the NBA game vs moving the Gaga concert!

#1. This is the Wizards arena, NOT Lady Gaga’s arena, so the Wiz schedule takes precedence no matter what event was scheduled first! I am sure it was built into Lady Gaga’s contract that if there was a playoff game conflict the concert would be postponed! Tough luck, better luck next time! If you don’t like it schedule the show for late June or after to make sure it was impossible for this to happen!

#2. Postponing the Gaga concert affects about 20k fans and that is it. Gaga and her stage crew don’t care if they put on the show on the 15th or 2 months from now as long as they get paid! Rescheduling the Wiz game not only affects the 20k fans with tickets to that game but it also affects the scheduling of the Eastern Conf Finals and the NBA finals so many many more fans are affected in multiple games and arenas! You also affect TV scheduling and all the traveling media that go to these playoff games! And most importantly you affect all the teams still playing to win the NBA title because their practice schedule, travel schedule and preparation schedule just changed!!

#3. You will go down in history for winning the NBA title, Gaga won’t go down in history for playing one concert in a DC arena! I’m pretty sure the NBA game is much more important!

So with all that said it is MUCH MUCH easier to postpone the Gaga concert than reschedule multiple NBA games and TV broadcast schedules, team travel, etc.

I understand that the Gaga fans will be mad. I would be mad too but not because the concert was postponed. I would be mad because I was DUMB enough to waste my money on Lady Gaga tickets, hotel, etc. in the first place!!!

21. charlutes - May 6, 2014 at 9:10 AM

Answer: Wizards.

22. Andee - May 6, 2014 at 12:40 PM

“This does happen every once in a while, remember last season Game 7 in Brooklyn between the Nets and Bulls forced Rihanna to reschedule her concert. They gave her courtside seats and everyone was happy.”

I’m sorry, Rihanna(!) had to be compensated for rescheduling that concert? Got it.

23. scoops1 - May 6, 2014 at 1:19 PM

so the NBA is allowed to push out events that not related to basketball….

but the NHL screws teams like the rangers because MSG has other concerts that MUST go on

• RavenzGunnerz - May 6, 2014 at 3:18 PM

this is an article about the NBA… just sayin…

24. rpearlston - May 6, 2014 at 1:45 PM

Why is it that so many people think that this could be “disastrous” for one group or another?
    In 2001, the Emmy Awards were first scheduled for mid-September,. They were postponed for a few weeks, then that date was postponed again because of another development in the US fight back. They were scheduled for November 4, which I already knew to be the same date as Game 7, if necessary. It was, and the Emmys had to compete with the WS. Both survived.
    And yes, the people who tweeted what was quoted above are sad, in that they seem to have nothing else in their lives. What all of you are forgetting is that no matter what happens on the date in question here, the sun will rise in the east the next day.

25. rodyaugu - May 6, 2014 at 3:39 PM

They don’t have to reschedule, just put gaga in for hibbert. She would do a far better job than him.

Stephenson goes elsewhere for his future
Top 10 NBA Player Searches