May 5, 2014, 10:43 AM EDT
“If (Toronto) gave me the opportunity, I don’t even think I’d let them finish the question. Yes. I’m in,” Carter said, speaking on Cybulski and Company.
“Could I see it? Absolutely,” Carter continued. “I’d leave that up to the franchise. It all started in Toronto, I’d be a fool to ever forget that.”
Well, “the franchise” might want him.
Word is that the Raptors have been kicking around the idea of making a free-agent play this summer to try to bring Vince Carter “home” by trying to sign the former face of the franchise away from the Mavericks.
Be advised that Carter has been very happy in Dallas these past three seasons. Veryhappy. He’s emerged as the emotional leader of Dirk Nowitzki‘s team
A free agent this summer, Carter will have plenty of options.
He followed a strong regular season with an even better postseason, highlighted by scoring 28 points in 27 minutes in a Game 5 loss to the Spurs. Carter has become a dependable reserve still capable of occasional star-level contributions.
At 37, Carter could get another decent-sized contract – he made $9.27 million during the last three years with Dallas – or accept less on a contender.
The Raptors could certainly use him. He’d be an upgrade over John Salmons and Landry Fields, or he could maybe even start over Terrence Ross. Ross had plenty of good moments, but at times, he was playing over his head, and a reserve role might ease his development.
Yes, Toronto fans still boo Carter, but I think they’d get over it. By returning to Canada, he’d reverse a lot of the ill will he generated by forcing his way out. In 2004, Carter didn’t want to be in Toronto. In 2014, he could prove he does by going there.
Personally, I hope Carter signs with the Raptors – only to see him in this jersey one more time.
- If traded before World Cup starts could Kevin Love still play for USA? Colangelo said it’s possible. 2
- Anthony Davis steps into spotlight, is Team USA’s lynchpin 17
- Referee Violet Palmer comes out publicly as gay 45
- Report: Cavaliers last team standing in Kevin Love trade talks 89
- Pat Riley says he didn’t think LeBron was leaving, Heat can turn around quickly 60
- Coach K on Rose: “Derrick’s played great, not good, and hasn’t held anything back” 30
- Report: Anthony Bennett pulled from pro-am by agent, possibly due to his inclusion in Kevin Love trade talks 43
- Report: Sixers fighting against immediate changes to NBA Draft Lottery system 59