May 5, 2014, 10:43 AM EDT
“If (Toronto) gave me the opportunity, I don’t even think I’d let them finish the question. Yes. I’m in,” Carter said, speaking on Cybulski and Company.
“Could I see it? Absolutely,” Carter continued. “I’d leave that up to the franchise. It all started in Toronto, I’d be a fool to ever forget that.”
Well, “the franchise” might want him.
Word is that the Raptors have been kicking around the idea of making a free-agent play this summer to try to bring Vince Carter “home” by trying to sign the former face of the franchise away from the Mavericks.
Be advised that Carter has been very happy in Dallas these past three seasons. Veryhappy. He’s emerged as the emotional leader of Dirk Nowitzki‘s team
A free agent this summer, Carter will have plenty of options.
He followed a strong regular season with an even better postseason, highlighted by scoring 28 points in 27 minutes in a Game 5 loss to the Spurs. Carter has become a dependable reserve still capable of occasional star-level contributions.
At 37, Carter could get another decent-sized contract – he made $9.27 million during the last three years with Dallas – or accept less on a contender.
The Raptors could certainly use him. He’d be an upgrade over John Salmons and Landry Fields, or he could maybe even start over Terrence Ross. Ross had plenty of good moments, but at times, he was playing over his head, and a reserve role might ease his development.
Yes, Toronto fans still boo Carter, but I think they’d get over it. By returning to Canada, he’d reverse a lot of the ill will he generated by forcing his way out. In 2004, Carter didn’t want to be in Toronto. In 2014, he could prove he does by going there.
Personally, I hope Carter signs with the Raptors – only to see him in this jersey one more time.
- Cavaliers sold Kyrie Irving on contract extension with LeBron James-Kevin Love plan 17
- Kevin Love says Timberwolves owner should focus on his own team following trade to Cavaliers 29
- Iman Shumpert excited to play in triangle offense because he won’t just have to stand in the corner 5
- Timberwolves owner: Kevin Love might regret trade because he’ll be third banana with Cavaliers 47
- Anthony Davis and Kenneth Faried lead Team USA in final World Cup tune-up 20
- Thunder trade Hasheem Thabeet to 76ers 37
- From late-arriving to a LeBron James favorite, Kevin Love comes full circle 15
- Clippers trade Jared Dudley and first rounder to Bucks for Carlos Delfino and Miroslav Raduljica 23