May 5, 2014, 10:43 AM EST
“If (Toronto) gave me the opportunity, I don’t even think I’d let them finish the question. Yes. I’m in,” Carter said, speaking on Cybulski and Company.
“Could I see it? Absolutely,” Carter continued. “I’d leave that up to the franchise. It all started in Toronto, I’d be a fool to ever forget that.”
Well, “the franchise” might want him.
Word is that the Raptors have been kicking around the idea of making a free-agent play this summer to try to bring Vince Carter “home” by trying to sign the former face of the franchise away from the Mavericks.
Be advised that Carter has been very happy in Dallas these past three seasons. Veryhappy. He’s emerged as the emotional leader of Dirk Nowitzki‘s team
A free agent this summer, Carter will have plenty of options.
He followed a strong regular season with an even better postseason, highlighted by scoring 28 points in 27 minutes in a Game 5 loss to the Spurs. Carter has become a dependable reserve still capable of occasional star-level contributions.
At 37, Carter could get another decent-sized contract – he made $9.27 million during the last three years with Dallas – or accept less on a contender.
The Raptors could certainly use him. He’d be an upgrade over John Salmons and Landry Fields, or he could maybe even start over Terrence Ross. Ross had plenty of good moments, but at times, he was playing over his head, and a reserve role might ease his development.
Yes, Toronto fans still boo Carter, but I think they’d get over it. By returning to Canada, he’d reverse a lot of the ill will he generated by forcing his way out. In 2004, Carter didn’t want to be in Toronto. In 2014, he could prove he does by going there.
Personally, I hope Carter signs with the Raptors – only to see him in this jersey one more time.
- Sources: Kings prefer George Karl, not serious about hiring Mark Jackson 8
- Nuggets Danilo Gallinari has meniscus tear in right knee, out three weeks after surgery 5
- Rajon Rondo was very Rondoesque in debut with Mavericks (VIDEO) 19
- Report: Kings discussing trade for Deron Williams with Nets 12
- Report: Multiple teams contacting Suns trying to trade for Goran Dragic 10
- Clippers rip officials after being called for seven technical fouls in loss to Nuggets 18
- Jeremy Lin after Kobe misses at the buzzer: ‘I like game-winners too’ 60
- Damian Lillard drops career high 43, leads Blazers to 3OT win over Spurs (VIDEO) 8