Report: Raptors eying Vince Carter in free agency

May 5, 2014, 10:43 AM EDT

Toronto Raptors v Dallas Mavericks Getty Images

Pending free agent Vince Carter wants to stay with the Mavericks, but a couple years ago, he said this about signing with the Raptors:

“If (Toronto) gave me the opportunity, I don’t even think I’d let them finish the question. Yes. I’m in,” Carter said, speaking on Cybulski and Company.

“Could I see it? Absolutely,” Carter continued. “I’d leave that up to the franchise. It all started in Toronto, I’d be a fool to ever forget that.”

Well, “the franchise” might want him.

Marc Stein of ESPN:

Word is that the Raptors have been kicking around the idea of making a free-agent play this summer to try to bring Vince Carter “home” by trying to sign the former face of the franchise away from the Mavericks.

Be advised that Carter has been very happy in Dallas these past three seasons. Veryhappy. He’s emerged as the emotional leader of Dirk Nowitzki‘s team

A free agent this summer, Carter will have plenty of options.

He followed a strong regular season with an even better postseason, highlighted by scoring 28 points in 27 minutes in a Game 5 loss to the Spurs. Carter has become a dependable reserve still capable of occasional star-level contributions.

At 37, Carter could get another decent-sized contract – he made $9.27 million during the last three years with Dallas – or accept less on a contender.

The Raptors could certainly use him. He’d be an upgrade over John Salmons and Landry Fields, or he could maybe even start over Terrence Ross. Ross had plenty of good moments, but at times, he was playing over his head, and a reserve role might ease his development.

Yes, Toronto fans still boo Carter, but I think they’d get over it. By returning to Canada, he’d reverse a lot of the ill will he generated by forcing his way out. In 2004, Carter didn’t want to be in Toronto. In 2014, he could prove he does by going there.

Personally, I hope Carter signs with the Raptors – only to see him in this jersey one more time.

1. rrhoe - May 5, 2014 at 11:23 AM

I can only imagine how hard it may be for a player who was the face of a franchise and having to accept that he may have come off the bench to prolong his career. I truly commend VC,he accepted what Allen Iverson never could.

• kb2408 - May 5, 2014 at 12:13 PM

A.I. wasn’t the first great player that couldn’t see himself coming off the bench and he won’t be the last. And, IMO, Vince never had the competitive drive A. I. had. Maybe that’s what kept Vince from becoming an all time great. He certainly had the skills to reach that level.

• rrhoe - May 5, 2014 at 2:29 PM

Competitive drive of A. I. was never questioned,but the smarts to keep the checks coming in was my point.

• fm31970 - May 5, 2014 at 2:39 PM

Yep. He could’ve really been an important piece in the Grizzlies puzzle a few years ago, but his ego killed all that.

2. spursareold - May 5, 2014 at 11:36 AM

W
    T
    F
    ?

3. duhwighthoward - May 5, 2014 at 12:09 PM

flopper

4. kb2408 - May 5, 2014 at 12:16 PM

I can see him going back to where it all began. Plus, it’s not like the Raps are garbage. Re-signing Lowery and bringing back Vince makes them formidable…at least in the East, that is.

5. phluffyclouds - May 5, 2014 at 1:45 PM

Would love to see #15 back in TO for the 20th anniversary of the Raptors!

6. jcrileyesq - May 5, 2014 at 2:19 PM

they are going to come up with sweet deal considering no state income tax in dallas and taking #1 seed in the NBA to a game 7 vs. the high taxes in toronto and a team that lost #6 seed in the East

• Kevin S. - May 5, 2014 at 2:40 PM

Yes, the seven games in the playoffs say much more about the teams’ respective futures than the 82 games in the regular season did. Short of Dallas pulling a Houston and finally cashing in on maintaining all their flexibility, Toronto is the better situation in the near term. Also, regarding the tax situation:

Dallas has an advantage, but it’s not as large as one may think.

7. shaner329 - May 5, 2014 at 2:23 PM

Drizzy Drake make it happen

• duhwighthoward - May 5, 2014 at 3:25 PM

I’m glad the Raptors lost just so I don’t have to see Drake on TV anymore.

Why can't Lakers have a player-coach?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches