May 5, 2014, 9:27 AM EDT
We knew Michael Carter-Williams would win Rookie of the Year, but we didn’t know just quite how he’d do it.
Turns out, the 76ers guard prevailed over the widest field of first-place vote-getters since the NBA adopted its current voting format for the award.
Back then, voters chose only a winner on their ballots. Now, voters rank first-place (five points), second-place (three points) and third-place (one point).
Carter Williams averaged 16.7 points, 6.3 assists and 6.2 rebounds, leading rookies in all three categories (the last guy to do that was Oscar Robertson). However, he put up the numbers because on a bad team he was given the ball and asked to make plays without concern for efficiency.
In the last few years, we’ve seen a few runaway winners. Damian Lillard won unanimously last year, and so did Blake Griffin in 2011. Between, Kyrie Irving took 117 of 120 first-place votes with nobody else receiving more than one.
But Carter-Williams faced more competition, though he still received 104 of 124 first-place votes.
Full voting (first-, second-, third-place votes, total points)
1. Michael Carter-Williams, Philadelphia (104-15-4-569)
2. Victor Oladipo, Orlando (16-89 -17-364)
3. Trey Burke, Utah (1-13-52-96)
4. Mason Plumlee, Brooklyn (2-5-33-58)
5. Tim Hardaway Jr., New York (1-2-12-23)
6. Gorgui Dieng, Minnesota (0-0-3-3)
7. Steven Adams, Oklahoma City (0-0-1-1)
7. Giannis Antetokounmpo, Milwaukee (0-0-1-1)
7. Nick Calathes, Memphis (0-0-1-1)
Aug 29, 2014, 8:00 AM EDT
Protecting the paint is the obvious Achilles heel of the Cavaliers, on paper anyway.
Aug 29, 2014, 12:01 AM EDT
Stauskas is thrilled to have finally made it to the NBA.
Aug 28, 2014, 10:29 PM EDT
Wade and Bosh show they can get the job done now that LeBron has moved on.
Aug 28, 2014, 8:58 PM EDT
Report surfaced a few days ago saying the two teams were in discussion.
Aug 28, 2014, 7:30 PM EDT
Highest Court in the Land
Aug 28, 2014, 6:30 PM EDT
I doubt that’s what he meant
Aug 28, 2014, 5:35 PM EDT
Could Trail Blazers guard replace Derrick Rose in World Cup?
Aug 28, 2014, 4:40 PM EDT
See Pau Gasol, Ricky Rubio, Jose Calderon and Serge Ibaka dance
Aug 28, 2014, 3:45 PM EDT
Black, who played at Kansas and Memphis, could be headed to Houston’s D-League affiliate
Aug 28, 2014, 2:50 PM EDT
Dan Gilbert, after throwing money at Kentucky coach, settled for management that landed LeBron James and Kevin Love this offseason
Aug 28, 2014, 1:55 PM EDT
Judy Seto doesn’t even bother asking Kobe to rate his pain, because the question is pointless
Aug 28, 2014, 12:59 PM EDT
Pop being Pop.
Aug 28, 2014, 12:20 PM EDT
Jazz guard will play behind Matthew Dellavedova and Ryan Broekhoff
Aug 28, 2014, 11:44 AM EDT
Cousins was long safe and part of the USA rotation.
Aug 28, 2014, 11:05 AM EDT
If you’re trying to age your game gracefully, Pierce is a great model.
Aug 28, 2014, 10:33 AM EDT
76ers point guard underwent shoulder surgery in spring
Aug 28, 2014, 9:52 AM EDT
Rose will probably have to prove it while coming off the bench behind Kyrie Irving in World Cup
Aug 28, 2014, 9:15 AM EDT
Tony Wroten is putting on a show.
Aug 28, 2014, 8:45 AM EDT
Doesn’t matter who didn’t show up, the guys that did make Team USA one of two teams with a legit shot at gold.
Aug 28, 2014, 8:00 AM EDT
For a third point guard signed for the league minimum, this is a nice pickup. Not thrilling, but nice.
- Cavaliers GM admits concerns about rim protection on defense 0
- Coach K had DeMarcus Cousins as USA’s backup big long before final cuts 6
- World Cup preview: No Durant, no problem USA still one of two teams with legit shot to win gold 6
- Cavaliers sold Kyrie Irving on contract extension with LeBron James-Kevin Love plan 34
- Kevin Love says Timberwolves owner should focus on his own team following trade to Cavaliers 35
- Iman Shumpert excited to play in triangle offense because he won’t just have to stand in the corner 9
- Timberwolves owner: Kevin Love might regret trade because he’ll be third banana with Cavaliers 48
- Anthony Davis and Kenneth Faried lead Team USA in final World Cup tune-up 20