LeBron James? There’s now an app for that.

May 5, 2014, 12:57 PM EST

LeBron James LeBron James

LeBron James is the best basketball player on planet, the biggest and most recognizable name in the game right now. His face is everywhere as the league uses him to promote the playoffs, Nike uses him to help sell shoes, McDonald’s uses him to sell food a professional athlete shouldn’t eat, Beats uses him to sell headphones and on down the list. It’s not quite oversaturation, but as we move toward the Finals expect the LeBron screen time to ramp up.

Now LeBron is also an app.

You’ve probably seen the ads during the playoffs. LeBron has a partnership with Samsung and as part of that they created an app for him — only available on Samsung devices. It has, according to the press release, exclusive “photos and videos of his workouts, daily life as an athlete including his routine for getting ready for games, post-game remarks and more.” There are also sections on his style outside the playoffs, some LeBron history (his “journey”) and more.

Business wise, I get why this exists. In fact, I bet we start to see other elite athletes go this route, with varying degrees of success.

Personally, I’m not sure why anyone outside a hardcore Heat/LeBron fan would want it. And even then I don’t get it. If he were releasing interesting insights and comments through it that would be one thing, but you know that everything posted there will be scrubbed clean and polished up by a PR/marketing team before you ever see it.

It will have all the reality and truth of a Disney nature movie.

But LeBron is an app and you can download it… if you’re on his sponsor’s platform.

1. bucrightoff - May 5, 2014 at 12:59 PM

I can think of a certain PBT commentator who is a stone cold lock to get this app

• spthegr8 - May 5, 2014 at 1:46 PM

@Buc
      LMAO!!! He shouldn’t have to pay anything for it since he probably he came up with the idea for the App.

• antistratfordian - May 5, 2014 at 2:41 PM

lol!!! i was just thinking the same thing – cantonbound is probably cleaning his sausage gravy off his galaxy note 3 as we speak.

• cantonbound13 - May 8, 2014 at 1:28 PM

Nice to see you think of me whenever you read a post. I’m clearly in your weak head. I’m sure your wife thinks of me from time to time also.

• antistratfordian - May 8, 2014 at 8:52 PM

I was talking about the other canton. No one cares about you.

2. kb2408 - May 5, 2014 at 1:20 PM

I tried the app…it’s good but not as good as the all-time great apps. Certainly not on the Mt. Rushmore of apps.

3. ProBasketballPundit - May 5, 2014 at 1:31 PM

Sorry, but I’ve pledged applegiance to NBA Game Time app.

• hryanana - May 5, 2014 at 3:34 PM

Top 5 worst basketball related commercials of all time.

• ProBasketballPundit - May 5, 2014 at 5:39 PM

Agreed. It’s awful; yet I’ve had it bashed into my head so much that I actually made a special effort to delete the Game Time app off all my devices. It’s worthless to me in the playoffs anyway since you can’t watch live games. Ugh. Can’t wait to see it 10 more times tonight. Round 2!

• basketballhooper1 - May 5, 2014 at 7:07 PM

HAHAHAHHAHA

4. bougin89 - May 5, 2014 at 2:03 PM

I can’t think of any reason a grown man should download this app. Children? Sure. Women? Maybe. Men? No way.

5. jzone954 - May 5, 2014 at 2:11 PM

Keep on keepin on Mr James….

6. larrydavid7000 - May 5, 2014 at 2:11 PM

LaQueen.Com when you down loaded it comes up with a Punk Cry Baby.!!!!!!!

• reesesteel23 - May 5, 2014 at 3:06 PM

Damn y’all. ^ He mad

7. thenew013 - May 5, 2014 at 2:41 PM

Get it while you can LeBron. Your reign wont last forever.

• leahcima1 - May 5, 2014 at 6:43 PM

Wow, how profound. You’ve got a crystal ball and you’re cheating aren’t you? Or maybe cantonjerk 0 talks in his sleep and you were still awake. lol

8. void96eater - May 5, 2014 at 2:43 PM

Anti must be foaming at the mouth right now.

Canton is probably throwing up. Lol.

• cantonbound13 - May 5, 2014 at 2:52 PM

No, actuall I got a good laugh from this. It’s amazing that people would waste $ on this fraud.

• void96eater - May 5, 2014 at 2:55 PM

It’s surprising what people waste their money on sometimes. This app is pointless.

• doug2626 - May 5, 2014 at 4:39 PM

The app is free.

9. cantonbound13 - May 5, 2014 at 2:47 PM

Unfortunately it’s a flop. It has caused uncontrollable choking in pressure situations. The fist 100 customers do receive a free syringe. I understand also you need two skilled people to help you use the app.

• finsfan71 - May 5, 2014 at 5:19 PM

You are a laugh riot, Ritchie. I got to hand it to you though, you have no problem showcasing your stupidity and that’s almost admirable.

• money2long - May 5, 2014 at 8:23 PM

Can I say with no troll intentions that his comment made me laugh though ?

10. spursareold - May 5, 2014 at 3:07 PM

All Lebron all the time? Why pay? You can get that here at PBT for free…

11. jzone954 - May 5, 2014 at 3:33 PM

Canton, prefer the Lamar Odom app?

12. jzone954 - May 5, 2014 at 3:37 PM

I for one enjoy seeing knick fans angry at Lebron seeing as to prior to his decision to join Miami most of the fans of the rotten apple had him shoed in to go to the Knicks and were beyond joyous. It’s ok though, hypocrisy is apart of human nature.

13. money2long - May 5, 2014 at 4:48 PM

I came to this article to see why there were so many comments

14. finsfan71 - May 5, 2014 at 5:16 PM

Canton (is that you Ritchie) has a serious man crush on Lebron. He is totally fixated on his physique. C’mon Ritchie, how many times a day do you kneel down and worship your Lebron James blow up doll?

Can Rockets, Grizzlies keep up hot starts?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches