Spurs we expected from the start roll Mavericks in Game 7, 119-96

May 4, 2014, 6:49 PM EDT

Dallas Mavericks v San Antonio Spurs - Game Seven Getty Images

A lot of people — myself included — didn’t give Dallas much of a chance in this series before it started. The Spurs not only had the best regular season record in the league they had beaten Dallas nine straight meetings.

However, for six games Dallas was the more aggressive team — they attacked the rim, took smart shots, role players stepped up, and on defense tried to jump passing lanes. It worked. They pushed title-contending San Antonio to a seventh game.

Then the Spurs we expected to see all series showed up and owned Game 7.

After some sloppy performances early on the series San Antonio looked every bit the contender from the opening tip. Tony Parker was carving up the Spurs offense, San Antonio’s defense was forcing the Mavericks into the midrange, and by halftime this game was all but over.

San Antonio won Game 7 119-96.

They now move on to face a more dangerous jump shooting team in the Portland Trail Blazers, starting Tuesday in San Antonio.

After San Antonio’s Game 6 loss Spurs coach Gregg Popovich rightfully complained about his team’s defense, in that game and all series. That was what was really different in Game 7 — the Spurs turned the Mavericks into mid-range jump shooters then contested everything. In the first 18 minutes of this game (the Spurs already up by 23) the Mavericks had taken 16 midrange jumpers, hitting 5 (31.3 percent). They had just 12 shots in the paint and six from three — almost half of their shots we’re from the worst spots on the floor. The Mavs couldn’t get to the rim.

Behind that defense the Spurs offense exploded — the want to play a controlled brand of fast where Tony Parker can attack before the defense gets set. They could do that off misses and turnovers and the result was Tony Parker getting 24 points in the first half, shooting 6-of-6 inside 8 feet. In the first half Parker, Manu Ginobili and Tim Duncan combined to shoot 18-of-23 for 47 points — the Mavericks had 46 points in the first half.

Parker finished with 32 points, Ginobili 20 and Tim Duncan 15, with Danny Green chipping in 16 and Kawhi Leonard adding 15. Duncan and the key Spurs got to rest almost all of the fourth quarter.

Dirk Nowitzki led Dallas with 22 points, but needed 21 shots to get there.

Nowitzki, Shawn Marion, Vince Carter and DeJuan Blair are among the free agents for Dallas this year. Nowitzki isn’t going anywhere, he’s already said he would take a pay cut to stay, allowing Dallas to bring in other stars to build for the future. They want to bring Marion back and he wants to stay, but it’s all about the money. It’s going to be an interesting off-season in Big D.

For the Spurs, the playoffs keep rolling along.

1. bendover09 - May 4, 2014 at 7:01 PM

Nice officiating…

ESPN Dallas has a montage up on all the spurs flops
    It’s pretty comical & suggest you check it out

… We can also throw in the “6 man” throw in that the league still did nothing over

NBA is nothing more than a tv soap opera

NBA wants their rematch with spurs vs heat

• bucrightoff - May 4, 2014 at 7:20 PM

When you lose by 2 or 3, the reffing can be a legit argument (but still not really). When you lose by 23? It’s whinng at its finest.

• casualcommenter - May 4, 2014 at 7:24 PM

The Spurs scored a total of 25 points as the Mavs scored 15 points from free throws in a 23 point game.

To believe the referees to singlehandedly swung the game in favor of the Spurs, you’d have to argue that virtually none of the Spurs’ free throws were legitimately earned, while all of the Mavs’ free throws were fairly earned.

In other words, homer logic.

• casualcommenter - May 4, 2014 at 7:29 PM

Or to put another way, Dirk Nowitzki, Monta Ellis, and Vince Carter went a combined 15 for 44 from the field, while the Spurs’ Big 3 went a combined 23 for 34 from the field, and his first thought it to blame the referees for the Mavericks’ loss.

It’s hard to win games when your 3 most important players on offense shoot 34% from the field.

• kavika6 - May 5, 2014 at 8:34 AM

Every time a Spur put a finger on Nowitzky he went to the free throw line. Blair and Carter looked like they were out to hurt someone.

2. timcast12 - May 4, 2014 at 7:28 PM

Of course Dallas fans are going to whine haha, I mean isn’t that all they do?

• the1nonlyk - May 4, 2014 at 7:38 PM

true lol. go spurs!!! keep notchin up the play!! its gonna be a tough road but u can do it spurs v heat rematch!!

• redbaronx - May 4, 2014 at 10:51 PM

@timcast12 – You know how they say dogs mimic their owners? That’s how Dallas fans mimic Cuban. Cry, cry, cry.

3. 00maltliquor - May 4, 2014 at 7:54 PM

At first I was upset because Dallas made it over the Suns. I really loved what PHX was able to do this season and thought they deserved it, plus I just didn’t care to watch anybody from Dallas.

But DAL brought the heat and made it very, very interesting and contributed to the best first round of all time (IMO). Good stuff Big D. Thanks for the entertainment.

Can we get a standing ovation for The 2014 First Round!?

Looking at the matchups, the 2nd round is gonna be pure basketball heaven!! Yes even in the East. But the West tho!

• money2long - May 4, 2014 at 10:24 PM

Remember u said second round would be trash lol.
      First round was a treat. And yes. It deserves an applause.
      Teams in the second round is what most wanted to make out the first round.
      Nba basketball. Love it.

• 00millerfortune - May 4, 2014 at 11:24 PM

You sure I said that?? Provide the evidence.

(BTW, this is malt. Just noticed a couple days ago my screen name is different when I use my laptop. I’ve been drinking and fell in love with Miller Fortune the last 2 weeks so I’m pretty sure I know how it happened, LOL)

• 00maltliquor - May 5, 2014 at 10:07 AM

I think you got me confused with someone else. I remember saying as far as the East was concerned, to wake me up when the ECF was started, but I was just trolling.

• money2long - May 5, 2014 at 11:22 AM

Haha yea. I wasn’t specific. I didn’t mean the west. My comment played a disservice to making that point. And yes that’s the one u said

4. yomarianob - May 4, 2014 at 8:06 PM

“In the first half Parker, Manu Ginobili and Tim Duncan combined to shoot 18-of-23 for 47 points”

Well, that’s completely incredible.. Insane!

5. kb2408 - May 4, 2014 at 8:40 PM

The only team that can beat the Spurs is OKC. No team in the East would go more than 6 games.

• redbaronx - May 4, 2014 at 10:56 PM

kb2408 – Did you forget the Heat are in the East and the Heat beat the Spurs last year?

Don’t get me wrong, I admire the Spurs and I am a Wizards fan so I have no dog in the fight. But to be realistic, if the Spurs meet the Heat I wouldn’t expect anything less than a slugfest with no clear winner till the games are played and the final 10 seconds in the series clincher are winding down.

6. cantonbound13 - May 4, 2014 at 9:36 PM

Go Spurs!

7. thegloriousone - May 4, 2014 at 9:40 PM

I hope the Spurs win it all. It’s a shame that they handed the championship to the Heat last year.

• redbaronx - May 4, 2014 at 11:00 PM

@thegloriousone – The Spurs didn’t “hand” the Heat anything last year, and the Heat didn’t hand anything to the Spurs either. To say anything else is to completely disregard the fantastic effort that both teams put on in last years Finals. That was probably the hardest fought Finals I’ve seen since Utah vs. Bulls in 1998.

8. borisalessandri - May 4, 2014 at 9:42 PM

It doesn’t matter what the seeding is, Spurs vs Mavs is going to to be highly competitive.

9. thetxhammer - May 4, 2014 at 10:31 PM

One Dallas fan whines about the referees and all of a sudden that means “all Dallas fans” whine. Really well thought out logic there, Keyboard Warrior.

Spurs showed up and executed how they normally do, we pushed a 7 game series as best as this roster could allow us. The better team won, end of story.

10. redbaronx - May 4, 2014 at 11:03 PM

@thetxhammer – It may be one Dallas fan in this thread that whined, but I’m sorry to say that due to your owner’s routine whining about refs, there is an element of Dallas that is identified as “whining” anytime the complaint is about refs. Don’t blame people for being sick of that….

• grantgoodman93 - May 5, 2014 at 12:27 AM

I don’t know what team you support but I can tell you one thing: Every fan wishes Cuban was their owner.

• redbaronx - May 5, 2014 at 9:48 AM

@grantgoodman93 – I don’t think that was my point….My point was that fairly or unfairly, Dallas fans are perceived that way.

• kavika6 - May 5, 2014 at 8:39 AM

Nowitzky was whining about every call against him and every non-call against the Spurs. What a baby.

Heat can make playoffs without LeBron
Top 10 NBA Player Searches