Kyle Lowry, unrestricted free agent, after Game 7 loss: ‘This is only the start for us and the Raptors organization’
May 4, 2014, 6:01 PM EDT
He finished with 28 points, seven rebounds and three assists, and was given the ball with the clock winding down to drive to the basket for a chance at the game-winning shot.
It ultimately didn’t fall, and the Raptors were eliminated from the postseason by a single point.
Lowry seemed encouraged by the season that had just ended, however, and made an interesting statement as part of his postgame remarks.
“This is only the start for us and the Raptors organization,” Lowry said, via Josh Lewenberg of TSN.
The Raptors have many decisions to make in retooling the roster, but what to do with Lowry is right at the top of their list. Toronto was in talks to trade Lowry during the first half of the season, remember, and it had nothing to do with his ability or lack of fit with the Raptors.
Lowry is an unrestricted free agent this summer, and earlier in the year, when it wasn’t yet known if Toronto would come together to make the playoffs and then perform so well once they got there, the front office was unsure if the team would be willing to offer Lowry the type of contract he would command.
There were trade talks right up until the deadline, most notably with the Knicks, who likely could have landed Lowry in exchange for some combination of a young player like Iman Shumpert and a future first round draft pick.
Ultimately, New York believed the price was too high, and obviously, the way Lowry played this season, not pulling the trigger cost the Knicks a chance to make the playoffs.
It isn’t yet known which way the Raptors will go with Lowry; they’ll have cap space and will undoubtedly be looking to add talent to this group that played so intensely during the team’s first trip to the postseason in six years.
The contract offers that roll in might be bigger from another team than the one the Raptors are ultimately willing to hand out. But at least for now, it appears as though Lowry sees himself as a part of Toronto’s future.
- Derrick Rose sits out another Team USA practice, not likely to start Wednesday 20
- DeMarcus Cousins practices with team USA Tuesday, says he’s 50-50 for Wednesday game 2
- Jim Boeheim says of Carmelo Anthony, “it would have been better to go to Chicago” 30
- Steve Ballmer screams like a maniac at Clippers rally 26
- Thibodeau calls Team USA “perfect setting” for Derrick Rose to make return 6
- What four players left likely to get cut from Team USA roster? Things don’t look good for Andre Drummond. 19
- John Calipari says he was not close to going to Cleveland. LeBron or not. 12
- Report: Shawn Marion commits to play with Cavaliers, LeBron James 47