May 3, 2014, 9:30 AM EDT
That is why guys flop. Even if they know a small fine ($5,000) is coming.
It was midway through the fourth quarter of an elimination game for Dallas and the Mavericks were down one to the Spurs. Dallas loses and its season is over.
On the play above Kawhi Leonard gets the ball on a handoff from Tim Duncan and Vince Carter switches on to him. Leonard starts a drive then steps back, there is a little contact, and Carter goes down like there is a sniper on the grassy knoll.
It works, he gets the call.
The play helps swing the momentum of a game that Dallas goes on to win, forcing a Game 7.
Vince Carter will get a fine for this from the league. And he’d do it again in a heartbeat. That punishment is worth the crime.
- Report: Mo Williams signing with Cavaliers for most of their MLE 9
- Report: Cavaliers, Clippers discussing Jamal Crawford for Brendan Haywood trade 25
- Reports: David West agrees to veteran minimum deal to play for Spurs 68
- Report: Marc Gasol, Grizzlies reach deal on five-year, $110 million contract 8
- Manu Ginobili tweets he’ll play next season 5
- Who is left: 15 best free agents still on the board 14
- Report: Detroit Pistons sign restricted free agent Reggie Jackson for five-years, $80 million 38
- Report: Lakers near deal to sign Brandon Bass, may trade Nick Young 36