May 3, 2014, 9:30 AM EST
That is why guys flop. Even if they know a small fine ($5,000) is coming.
It was midway through the fourth quarter of an elimination game for Dallas and the Mavericks were down one to the Spurs. Dallas loses and its season is over.
On the play above Kawhi Leonard gets the ball on a handoff from Tim Duncan and Vince Carter switches on to him. Leonard starts a drive then steps back, there is a little contact, and Carter goes down like there is a sniper on the grassy knoll.
It works, he gets the call.
The play helps swing the momentum of a game that Dallas goes on to win, forcing a Game 7.
Vince Carter will get a fine for this from the league. And he’d do it again in a heartbeat. That punishment is worth the crime.
- PBT Extra: Top 5 NBA stories of 2014 0
- Five things to watch as NBA takes over Christmas Day 13
- Cavaliers center Anderson Varejao tears Achilles, done for season 29
- Miami Heat fans were hurt when LeBron left, they may let him hear it. Somewhat. 21
- Nikola Vucevic and Tobias Harris coming into their own for Magic 6
- PBT Tuesday Night Winners/Losers: Sixers, Lakers show the last will be first (for a night) 13
- Anderson Varejao leaves Cavaliers game with foot injury not to return, MRI Wednesday 5
- Report: Rockets ‘very confident’ they’ll land Josh Smith 19