May 3, 2014, 9:30 AM EDT
That is why guys flop. Even if they know a small fine ($5,000) is coming.
It was midway through the fourth quarter of an elimination game for Dallas and the Mavericks were down one to the Spurs. Dallas loses and its season is over.
On the play above Kawhi Leonard gets the ball on a handoff from Tim Duncan and Vince Carter switches on to him. Leonard starts a drive then steps back, there is a little contact, and Carter goes down like there is a sniper on the grassy knoll.
It works, he gets the call.
The play helps swing the momentum of a game that Dallas goes on to win, forcing a Game 7.
Vince Carter will get a fine for this from the league. And he’d do it again in a heartbeat. That punishment is worth the crime.
- Rumor: Corey Brewer to Cleveland now part of Kevin Love trade talk 16
- Tony Parker signs (another) contract extension with Spurs 9
- Bulls owner issues statement refuting rift between Bulls front office, Derrick Rose 23
- If traded before World Cup starts could Kevin Love still play for USA? Colangelo said it’s possible. 2
- Anthony Davis steps into spotlight, is Team USA’s lynchpin 18
- Referee Violet Palmer comes out publicly as gay 49
- Report: Cavaliers last team standing in Kevin Love trade talks 89
- Pat Riley says he didn’t think LeBron was leaving, Heat can turn around quickly 61