May 3, 2014, 9:31 PM EDT
Well, that was fast.
Less than 24 hours after the Rockets were eliminated from the postseason in heartbreaking fashion, the team has decided to pick up the option on head coach Kevin McHale’s contract for next season.
Kevin McHale will return as the Rockets coach for next season, a person with knowledge of the decision said today.
McHale just completed the final guaranteed season of his contract, but multiple individuals with knowledge of the Rockets thinking have said management believes in him and wants him to have more time with a relatively new team that spent the season battling injuries.
The fourth year of McHale’s contract was subject to a team option but it appears the Rockets are sticking with him.
As we discussed in breaking down what’s next for the Rockets, you don’t blow out a competent head coach like McHale unless you have a rock solid option in mind to take his place.
The playoff loss to the Blazers wasn’t on McHale; Portland presented matchup problems that the Rockets were ill-equipped to deal with from a personnel standpoint, and that more than anything was the reason for Houston’s disappointingly quick and somewhat unexpected exit.
- Rumor: Corey Brewer to Cleveland now part of Kevin Love trade talk 16
- Tony Parker signs (another) contract extension with Spurs 9
- Bulls owner issues statement refuting rift between Bulls front office, Derrick Rose 23
- If traded before World Cup starts could Kevin Love still play for USA? Colangelo said it’s possible. 2
- Anthony Davis steps into spotlight, is Team USA’s lynchpin 18
- Referee Violet Palmer comes out publicly as gay 49
- Report: Cavaliers last team standing in Kevin Love trade talks 89
- Pat Riley says he didn’t think LeBron was leaving, Heat can turn around quickly 61