May 3, 2014, 5:30 PM EDT
Nets reserve big man Andray Blatche was in the guarantee business on Friday, making one about Game 6 during the morning shootaround which was followed by another about Game 7 once the initial victory had been secured.
“Yeah, we guarantee it. We’re gonna go there, take care of business and go to Miami,” Blatche said, via the New York Post.
Postseason guarantees are meaningless, obviously, because every player on a given team has the confidence that they will be able to go out and win the very next game. They can, however, get under the opposing team’s skin.
“We’re going to see what happens,” Greivis Vasquez said, via James Herbert, when told about Blatche’s remarks. “I don’t know who does he think he is. He’s not KG or Paul Pierce or Jason Kidd. But, you know, we’re not going to listen to his nonsense. He gotta earn that, and he hasn’t yet. We aren’t really focused [on] that.”
DeMar DeRozan matched Vasquez’s lack of interest in what Blatche had to say, but fell far short of his teammate’s level of disdain for the comments.
“I don’t care what he said,” DeRozan said, also via James Herbert. “He can say what he wants, honestly. He can go out there and say he’s going to hit the lottery tomorrow.”
Blatche actually played an important role in Brooklyn’s Game 6 victory, playing a solid 21 minutes off the bench and replacing Mason Plumlee almost entirely in the Nets’ rotation.
Kevin Garnett didn’t make any pregame predictions. But he was bold afterward in verbally pounding his chest about what the feeling was entering a game where the wrong result could have ended Brooklyn’s season.
“There was no way in hell that they were going to come in here and get a win today,” Garnett said, via ESPN New York.
I wonder how Vasquez feels about that.
- Report: Michael Jordan shot down Boston draft-day effort to get Charlotte No. 9 pick 24
- Wisconsin State Assembly passes Bucks arena deal, clearing the way for Gov. Walker to sign 27
- Phil Jackson says Knicks wanted Goran Dragic at trade deadline. Because he’s such a triangle fit? 16
- Report: Cavaliers sign Matthew Dellavedova 10
- Heat trade Zoran Dragic, second-rounder to Celtics 11
- Report: Cavaliers trade Brendan Haywood, Mike Miller, two second-round picks to Portland 17
- Blake Griffin, Stephen Curry among latest big names headed to Team USA mini-camp 8
- Kyrie Irving off crutches, cleared by doctors to start working out 8