May 3, 2014, 5:30 PM EST
Nets reserve big man Andray Blatche was in the guarantee business on Friday, making one about Game 6 during the morning shootaround which was followed by another about Game 7 once the initial victory had been secured.
“Yeah, we guarantee it. We’re gonna go there, take care of business and go to Miami,” Blatche said, via the New York Post.
Postseason guarantees are meaningless, obviously, because every player on a given team has the confidence that they will be able to go out and win the very next game. They can, however, get under the opposing team’s skin.
“We’re going to see what happens,” Greivis Vasquez said, via James Herbert, when told about Blatche’s remarks. “I don’t know who does he think he is. He’s not KG or Paul Pierce or Jason Kidd. But, you know, we’re not going to listen to his nonsense. He gotta earn that, and he hasn’t yet. We aren’t really focused [on] that.”
DeMar DeRozan matched Vasquez’s lack of interest in what Blatche had to say, but fell far short of his teammate’s level of disdain for the comments.
“I don’t care what he said,” DeRozan said, also via James Herbert. “He can say what he wants, honestly. He can go out there and say he’s going to hit the lottery tomorrow.”
Blatche actually played an important role in Brooklyn’s Game 6 victory, playing a solid 21 minutes off the bench and replacing Mason Plumlee almost entirely in the Nets’ rotation.
Kevin Garnett didn’t make any pregame predictions. But he was bold afterward in verbally pounding his chest about what the feeling was entering a game where the wrong result could have ended Brooklyn’s season.
“There was no way in hell that they were going to come in here and get a win today,” Garnett said, via ESPN New York.
I wonder how Vasquez feels about that.
- Report: Celtics and Mavericks agree in principle to Rajon Rondo trade 3
- Andrew Bogut undergoes PRP therapy on knee, out indefinitely 6
- Report: Mavericks trading for Rajon Rondo could happen ‘sooner rather than later’ 10
- Carmelo Anthony introduces his latest signature shoe, the Jordan Melo M11 9
- Report: Rondo “open” to re-signing in Dallas, Houston if traded there 20
- PBT’s Wednesday Night NBA Winners/Losers: You will not question if Memphis is legit again 18
- Grizzlies top Spurs in triple overtime. Best game of the season. So far. 5
- Report: Mavericks and Celtics in ‘substantive discussion’ about Rajon Rondo trade 25