May 2, 2014, 12:33 PM EDT
Though most of his players stand by him, Golden State Warriors coach Mark Jackson is running out of allies.
Jackson tried to fire assistant Brian Scalabrine, a former client of agent-turned-Warriors-general-manager Bob Myers, and turned another assistant, Darren Erman, paranoid. Jackson has also reportedly distanced himself from Jerry West, a key Golden State executive.
That leaves Warriors owner Joe Lacob to address rumors Jackson will be fired.
“Honest to God, that’s the media that is doing all this,” Lacob told Yahoo Sports. “There is nothing going on until after the season. I refuse to let anyone talk about that. We don’t talk about it. We haven’t had that discussion. Everybody in the entire organization is reviewed after the season and we make decisions.”
Jackson’s job also appeared to be in jeopardy late in his first season as the Warriors headed toward a 23-43 record. Lacob has remained consistent, declining to evaluate Jackson then. Considering Golden State was going to keep Jackson, it would have been easy to endorse the coach, but Lacob didn’t, and he’s not rendering judgment now either.
But if he doesn’t want anyone in his organization talking about Jackson’s job security, Lacob is failing. These reports aren’t coming from nowhere.
At any point, Lacob could say Jackson will return. That’s apparently not the owner’s style, and that’s OK. He must understand, though, it’s a style that opens the door to speculation about Jackson’s job security from outside the organization – and within.
- Report: Cavaliers last team standing in Kevin Love trade talks 26
- Pat Riley says he didn’t think LeBron was leaving, Heat can turn around quickly 34
- Coach K on Rose: “Derrick’s played great, not good, and hasn’t held anything back” 20
- Report: Anthony Bennett pulled from pro-am by agent, possibly due to his inclusion in Kevin Love trade talks 43
- Report: Sixers fighting against immediate changes to NBA Draft Lottery system 56
- Team USA going small ball, but how many bigs do they keep on the bench? 4
- Report: LeBron James more popular than he ever was with the Heat 17
- Durant says 2014 USA team better than 2010 version that won gold 7