May 2, 2014, 12:33 PM EDT
Though most of his players stand by him, Golden State Warriors coach Mark Jackson is running out of allies.
Jackson tried to fire assistant Brian Scalabrine, a former client of agent-turned-Warriors-general-manager Bob Myers, and turned another assistant, Darren Erman, paranoid. Jackson has also reportedly distanced himself from Jerry West, a key Golden State executive.
That leaves Warriors owner Joe Lacob to address rumors Jackson will be fired.
“Honest to God, that’s the media that is doing all this,” Lacob told Yahoo Sports. “There is nothing going on until after the season. I refuse to let anyone talk about that. We don’t talk about it. We haven’t had that discussion. Everybody in the entire organization is reviewed after the season and we make decisions.”
Jackson’s job also appeared to be in jeopardy late in his first season as the Warriors headed toward a 23-43 record. Lacob has remained consistent, declining to evaluate Jackson then. Considering Golden State was going to keep Jackson, it would have been easy to endorse the coach, but Lacob didn’t, and he’s not rendering judgment now either.
But if he doesn’t want anyone in his organization talking about Jackson’s job security, Lacob is failing. These reports aren’t coming from nowhere.
At any point, Lacob could say Jackson will return. That’s apparently not the owner’s style, and that’s OK. He must understand, though, it’s a style that opens the door to speculation about Jackson’s job security from outside the organization – and within.
- Shaq tells Suzy Shuster he, Kobe Bryant could have tied Jordan’s six titles 26
- Dwight Howard tried to take loaded gun through airport security, will not face charges 32
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 17
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 6
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 28
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4