May 2, 2014, 10:05 AM EDT
Has Phil Jackson worked quickly enough?
In one case, yes.
Steve Kerr, the overwhelming favorite to be the next Knicks coach, is not on the Lakers’ candidate list, according to an NBA source.
The Lakers believe Kerr is too far along in the process of joining Phil Jackson’s Knicks.
Announcement: Pro Basketball Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $60,000 Fantasy Basketball league for Friday night’s games. It’s $25 to join and first prize is $8,000. Starts at 7pm ET on Friday. Here’s the FanDuel link.
Would Jeanie Buss’ team really hire her fiancé’s preferred coach? It doesn’t have to be about a conflict of interest. Sometimes, NBA executives do each other favors.
If Kerr really desired, I bet he could get on the Lakers’ radar. They might be wary of wasting time on him now, but if he came to them to express interest, that would show he’s serious. And their search is so wide, it seems there’s be room for him.
Maybe he also believes he’s too far down the road with the Knicks.
Then again, the Warriors’ job becoming open could swing things. It seems the Knicks have eliminated one West Coast competitor for Kerr, but another potentially remains.
- Report: Timberwolves to end up with Thad Young, Anthony Bennett as part of Kevin Love trade 70
- Adam Silver: NBA stars playing in international competition face ‘a big risk’ 12
- Derrick Rose says he’ll play Friday vs. Puerto Rico 16
- Report: Don’t be so sure on Anthony Bennett to Philadelphia rumors 54
- Report: Nike gets chance to match 10-year, $265 million offer to Kevin Durant from Under Armour 18
- Should NBA coaches get NFL style challenge flags? 20
- Report: Suns discussing trade possibilities for Eric Bledsoe 36
- Report: Sixers may look to trade for Amar’e Stoudemire at this season’s deadline 32