May 2, 2014, 10:05 AM EDT
Has Phil Jackson worked quickly enough?
In one case, yes.
Steve Kerr, the overwhelming favorite to be the next Knicks coach, is not on the Lakers’ candidate list, according to an NBA source.
The Lakers believe Kerr is too far along in the process of joining Phil Jackson’s Knicks.
Announcement: Pro Basketball Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $60,000 Fantasy Basketball league for Friday night’s games. It’s $25 to join and first prize is $8,000. Starts at 7pm ET on Friday. Here’s the FanDuel link.
Would Jeanie Buss’ team really hire her fiancé’s preferred coach? It doesn’t have to be about a conflict of interest. Sometimes, NBA executives do each other favors.
If Kerr really desired, I bet he could get on the Lakers’ radar. They might be wary of wasting time on him now, but if he came to them to express interest, that would show he’s serious. And their search is so wide, it seems there’s be room for him.
Maybe he also believes he’s too far down the road with the Knicks.
Then again, the Warriors’ job becoming open could swing things. It seems the Knicks have eliminated one West Coast competitor for Kerr, but another potentially remains.
- NBA players’ union head believes new labor deal can be reached without a work stoppage 0
- Kendrick Perkins says you’re blowing the LeBron James/Kevin Love thing way out of proportion 11
- Mark Cuban rips officials, NBA: ‘It’s criminal’ how Monta Ellis doesn’t get calls 22
- Shaquille O’Neal says he regrets leaving Magic for Lakers 41
- Cavaliers coach David Blatt: ‘LeBron James is our MVP’ 22
- No Durant, what does that mean for Thunder in these playoffs? Trouble. 15
- Kevin Durant to have third foot surgery; is done for season, playoffs 39
- Goran Dragic leading feisty Heat’s playoff push 29