May 2, 2014, 10:05 AM EDT
Has Phil Jackson worked quickly enough?
In one case, yes.
Steve Kerr, the overwhelming favorite to be the next Knicks coach, is not on the Lakers’ candidate list, according to an NBA source.
The Lakers believe Kerr is too far along in the process of joining Phil Jackson’s Knicks.
Announcement: Pro Basketball Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $60,000 Fantasy Basketball league for Friday night’s games. It’s $25 to join and first prize is $8,000. Starts at 7pm ET on Friday. Here’s the FanDuel link.
Would Jeanie Buss’ team really hire her fiancé’s preferred coach? It doesn’t have to be about a conflict of interest. Sometimes, NBA executives do each other favors.
If Kerr really desired, I bet he could get on the Lakers’ radar. They might be wary of wasting time on him now, but if he came to them to express interest, that would show he’s serious. And their search is so wide, it seems there’s be room for him.
Maybe he also believes he’s too far down the road with the Knicks.
Then again, the Warriors’ job becoming open could swing things. It seems the Knicks have eliminated one West Coast competitor for Kerr, but another potentially remains.
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 2
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession 1
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 31
- Report: Veteran point guard Andre Miller reaches one-year deal with Timberwolves 8
- Who is still out there: Top 10 free agents still on the market 14
- Donald Trump says he’s becoming a Mavericks fan after Mark Cuban’s comments 47
- Report: Michael Jordan shot down Boston draft-day effort to get Charlotte No. 9 pick 31
- Wisconsin State Assembly passes Bucks arena deal, clearing the way for Gov. Walker to sign 40