May 2, 2014, 10:05 AM EDT
Has Phil Jackson worked quickly enough?
In one case, yes.
Steve Kerr, the overwhelming favorite to be the next Knicks coach, is not on the Lakers’ candidate list, according to an NBA source.
The Lakers believe Kerr is too far along in the process of joining Phil Jackson’s Knicks.
Announcement: Pro Basketball Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $60,000 Fantasy Basketball league for Friday night’s games. It’s $25 to join and first prize is $8,000. Starts at 7pm ET on Friday. Here’s the FanDuel link.
Would Jeanie Buss’ team really hire her fiancé’s preferred coach? It doesn’t have to be about a conflict of interest. Sometimes, NBA executives do each other favors.
If Kerr really desired, I bet he could get on the Lakers’ radar. They might be wary of wasting time on him now, but if he came to them to express interest, that would show he’s serious. And their search is so wide, it seems there’s be room for him.
Maybe he also believes he’s too far down the road with the Knicks.
Then again, the Warriors’ job becoming open could swing things. It seems the Knicks have eliminated one West Coast competitor for Kerr, but another potentially remains.
- LeBron James: “(The Bulls) are a team that’s much better than us right now just off chemistry” 33
- Has Kobe Bryant cost the Lakers Dwight Howard, Carmelo Anthony, Paul George and others? 67
- Five favorites to win NBA 2014-15 MVP 18
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 preview: San Antonio Spurs 7
- NBA’s 44-minute game clocks in at under 2 hours, players barely notice (VIDEO) 3
- Nets coach Hollins on 44-minute game: ‘The change will be for the guys who don’t start’ 11
- Spurs’ Gregg Popovich fires back at Suns owner’s apology: ‘I’m just surprised he didn’t do it in a chicken suit’ 8
- Blake Griffin goes after Trevor Booker following flagrant foul, says he may retaliate in the future (VIDEO) 31