May 2, 2014, 1:55 PM EST
“Prepare for glory!”
“Give them nothing but take everything!”
One look at Marcin Gortat and you think he would have fared well living in Sparta. He’s hulking. He relishes physical play. And he can have a bit of a wild glint in his eye.
The Wizards’ center can be a bit of an eccentric at times. Like before games when he screams out quotes from the movies “300” or “Gladiator.” He told Dan Steinberg of the Washington Post about it.
“Always,” Gortat said.”When we’re running out, I’ll say from 300 ‘This is Sparta!’ or ‘Prepare for glory!’ [or] ‘Give them nothing but take everything!’”
“He thinks he’s a guy from 300, the big swole strong guy,” Garrett Temple said of Gortat…
“(I am) Serious,” he said. “You know, yelling loud. I’m saying the quotes from Gladiator: ‘We who are coming to die salute you!”
Fortunately for Gortat and the Wizards, the stakes in an NBA game are considerably less than those for the gladiators of ancient Rome, or even a Spartan military training exercises. NBA life is pretty cushy compared to an ancient Greek military barracks.
Whatever fires you up.
And Gortat can get fired up for at least another round (maybe two, watching the Pacers play lately).
For a laugh, follow the link to see how Gortat got some lines from “Training Day” wrong. You better not misquote Denzel.
- PBT’s Top 10 NBA stories of 2014, No. 10: Anthony Davis’ breakout 4
- Rumor: Ray Allen leaning toward retirement, not return 7
- Josh Smith makes Rockets debut, throws down two-handed dunk (VIDEO) 13
- Carmelo Anthony on the Knicks: “The fans are dying, we’re dying” 20
- Rockets officially sign Josh Smith, who will play Friday night; waive Tarik Black 6
- Clippers win ‘nice, boring’ Christmas Day battle with Warriors 1
- Miami fans give LeBron warm welcome, Heat team not so much in upset win 24
- Russell Westbrook inspires Thunder to skid-stopping win over Spurs 8