May 2, 2014, 9:30 AM EST
Should we believe Johnson or those reports?
According to Johnson, those reports.
Johnson, via Ben Bergman of 89.3 KPCC:
“I will be owning an NBA team sometime,” Johnson told a gathering of business leaders Wednesday at the Milken Global Conference in Beverly Hills. “Is the Clippers the right situation? Of course. It’s one of the premiere franchises.”
“I think the fans have already spoken,” Johnson said. “They would like us to own the team. But we have to wait and see.”
Announcement: Pro Basketball Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $60,000 Fantasy Basketball league for Friday night’s games. It’s $25 to join and first prize is $8,000. Starts at 7pm ET on Friday. Here’s the FanDuel link.
Johnson gave himself a semantic out in his denial, implying he didn’t want to buy the Clippers because they have an owner. Do they still have an owner? Yes, but you could twist it the other way if you desire. Johnson desires.
Really, there was no reason for the charade, and I’m glad it’s over. Johnson obviously wanted to avoid the appearance of impropriety after he’d gone on television to say the NBA should remove Sterling as owner. How would it look if he then bought the team?
Despite his apparent worries – which seem to be over now – Johnson remains beloved in the NBA community. He’ll have competition, but he’d be welcomed as Clippers owner.
It could be a long road until the team is sold, but Johnson is openly travelling it now.
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Monday: Goran Dragic got his revenge in concentrated form 3
- League suspends James Harden one game for kick to LeBron James’ groin 22
- PBT’s weekly NBA Power Rankings: Hawks seem to be out of malaise. Maybe. 9
- Report: Jimmy Butler could miss three to four weeks with elbow injury 6
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Sunday: James Harden, LeBron James want your MVP vote 11
- Report: Sixers agree to buyout with JaVale McGee; he can sign with contender 36
- Bulls’ Jimmy Butler leaves with elbow injury, does not return (VIDEO) 0
- Adam Silver says data may prove Gregg Popovich right in terms of resting multiple players 18