May 2, 2014, 9:30 AM EDT
Should we believe Johnson or those reports?
According to Johnson, those reports.
Johnson, via Ben Bergman of 89.3 KPCC:
“I will be owning an NBA team sometime,” Johnson told a gathering of business leaders Wednesday at the Milken Global Conference in Beverly Hills. “Is the Clippers the right situation? Of course. It’s one of the premiere franchises.”
“I think the fans have already spoken,” Johnson said. “They would like us to own the team. But we have to wait and see.”
Announcement: Pro Basketball Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $60,000 Fantasy Basketball league for Friday night’s games. It’s $25 to join and first prize is $8,000. Starts at 7pm ET on Friday. Here’s the FanDuel link.
Johnson gave himself a semantic out in his denial, implying he didn’t want to buy the Clippers because they have an owner. Do they still have an owner? Yes, but you could twist it the other way if you desire. Johnson desires.
Really, there was no reason for the charade, and I’m glad it’s over. Johnson obviously wanted to avoid the appearance of impropriety after he’d gone on television to say the NBA should remove Sterling as owner. How would it look if he then bought the team?
Despite his apparent worries – which seem to be over now – Johnson remains beloved in the NBA community. He’ll have competition, but he’d be welcomed as Clippers owner.
It could be a long road until the team is sold, but Johnson is openly travelling it now.
- Old tweets: Kevin Durant uses gay slurs (including at Russell Westbrook), Damian Lillard rips LeBron James 17
- Wednesday night’s NBA winners, losers: Chris Bosh wants you to know he is a No. 1 option 16
- Rajon Rondo leads Celtics to rout of Nets. How much does it mean? 8
- Bulls cruise to 24-point opening night win over Knicks 15
- Lakers’ rookie Julius Randle has surgery to repair fractured tibia, out for season 16
- Anthony Davis has zero chance of winning MVP this season 38
- Dwight Howard says he wants to move on from Kobe, Lakers. Actions show feud going strong. 48
- NBA Opening Night Winners/Losers: Big nights for The Beard and The Brow 27