May 2, 2014, 9:30 AM EDT
Should we believe Johnson or those reports?
According to Johnson, those reports.
Johnson, via Ben Bergman of 89.3 KPCC:
“I will be owning an NBA team sometime,” Johnson told a gathering of business leaders Wednesday at the Milken Global Conference in Beverly Hills. “Is the Clippers the right situation? Of course. It’s one of the premiere franchises.”
“I think the fans have already spoken,” Johnson said. “They would like us to own the team. But we have to wait and see.”
Announcement: Pro Basketball Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $60,000 Fantasy Basketball league for Friday night’s games. It’s $25 to join and first prize is $8,000. Starts at 7pm ET on Friday. Here’s the FanDuel link.
Johnson gave himself a semantic out in his denial, implying he didn’t want to buy the Clippers because they have an owner. Do they still have an owner? Yes, but you could twist it the other way if you desire. Johnson desires.
Really, there was no reason for the charade, and I’m glad it’s over. Johnson obviously wanted to avoid the appearance of impropriety after he’d gone on television to say the NBA should remove Sterling as owner. How would it look if he then bought the team?
Despite his apparent worries – which seem to be over now – Johnson remains beloved in the NBA community. He’ll have competition, but he’d be welcomed as Clippers owner.
It could be a long road until the team is sold, but Johnson is openly travelling it now.
- Hey John Wall/Dion Waiters, Stephen Curry says Warriors have best backcourt. And he’s right. 0
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Charlotte Hornets 1
- Kobe Bryant plans to play in all 8 preseason games for Lakers 2
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Miami Heat 8
- Mike Miller points to him being amnestied as start of LeBron James leaving Miami 14
- Kobe Bryant thinks he could physically play beyond contract extension 14
- Trey Burke, in wake of nude-photo scandal: ‘My judgments will be much better’ 11
- Report: Kevin Durant says he wants to play in 2016 Olympics (his free agent summer) 5