Jermaine O’Neal on Big Baby Davis: “Just a dirty play”

May 2, 2014, 11:50 AM EDT

Early in the second quarter, the Clippers’ Glen Davis made a lunge for loose rebound in his usual bull-in-a-china-shop way, a ball Jermaine O’Neal had already started to control, and there was a collision.

The video is painful to watch as you see O’Neal’s right knee hyperextend backwards. O’Neal was in pain on the floor for a couple minutes before being helped back to the locker room. He was diagnosed with a sprained knee and did not return, which was a blow to a Warriors team already shorthanded along the front line.

After the game, O’Neal did not mince words about Big Baby, speaking with Monte Poole of CSNBayArea.com.

“I looked at it as just a dirty play,” he said.

“I’m not going to go try to dive into somebody’s legs,” O’Neal continued. “It wasn’t a scramble for the ball. I respect people’s ability to come out and perform and take care of their family, based on their bodies.

“Either he has terrible balance as a pro athlete, or that was a dirty play.”

Davis was whistled for a common foul on the play.

It is not yet known if O’Neal will be able to go in Game 7, although he said unless his ACL is ruptured he will be back on the court for Game 7.

Just add this fuel to the fire of bad blood between these teams.

1. Kansachusetts - May 2, 2014 at 12:09 PM

Having watched him since he was a Celtic, I think Big Baby is just a moron.
    To put it more charitably, he can’t seem to mature.

• spursareold - May 2, 2014 at 12:11 PM

So, appropriate nickname then?

2. nflcrimerankingscom - May 2, 2014 at 12:17 PM

Dude should be suspended. If it wasn’t intentional, then suspension for stupidity is also fine.

• rrhoe - May 2, 2014 at 12:35 PM

I totally agree with a suspension,no logical reason for such a play on the ball to begin with.

• urodaddy07 - May 2, 2014 at 7:41 PM

You all must be Warrior fans. It’s a reckless play, but I don’t see how it was intentional. I really dontbthink this deserves suspension. It is very unfortunate that O’Neal got injured on the play. But it happens.

3. jattsoorma - May 2, 2014 at 12:30 PM

is it just me or has JO been doing alot of whinning this series?

• sw19womble - May 2, 2014 at 12:46 PM

No. Only when he’s down on the floor after an overweight 6+ footer lunges into his knee.

4. fnc111 - May 2, 2014 at 2:51 PM

I doubt big flabby will be in the NBA next season. Dude is a no talent hack.

• duhwighthoward - May 2, 2014 at 3:33 PM

If he can take out Stephen Curry next, then I think he’ll be looking at a “fat” contract extension.

5. fanofthegame79 - May 2, 2014 at 2:55 PM

This reminds me of when Big Baby came down way too hard on Shaq’s thumb a few years back.

6. jolink653 - May 2, 2014 at 3:12 PM

I don’t think it was intentional. Stupid, yes, but it looked like he went for the ball just awkwardly and they bumped knees

• kinggw - May 2, 2014 at 3:16 PM

Finally a voice of reason.

• ranfan12 - May 2, 2014 at 4:50 PM

I don’t see how that was intentional. He had too much momentum trying to grab at the loose ball. No one was going to stop that

7. ProBasketballPundit - May 2, 2014 at 4:30 PM

The way you know this is a dirty play by Big Baby is because he did it twice in a row. His previous foul was a dirty hit too.

8. urodaddy07 - May 2, 2014 at 7:56 PM

Not a birth play. Come on guys. Really? Really!?

Will LeBron get booed Christmas Day in Miami?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches