May 1, 2014, 3:43 AM EDT
Our quick look around the NBA, or what you missed while noticing just how toxic the name Donald Sterling has become….
Kyle Lowry, Toronto Raptors. Somebody is earning a big payday this summer. Lowry was simply the best player on the court and the reason the Raptors are up 3-2 on Brooklyn — 36 points on 11-of-19 shooting plus he had six assists. He did a lot of his damage from deep, going 6-of-9 from three, a few of those were taken from roughly Hamilton. Just a brilliant performance.
Tiago Splitter, San Antonio Spurs. It was a big deal when the Spurs were waiting for Splitter to finish in Europe and come play in the NBA — he was an MVP in Spain. You saw why Wednesday night. He had 17 points and 12 rebounds — and he owned the fourth quarter with 9 points on 4 shots. One play he was rolling to the rim and scoring, next play he was dishing out to the wing for open jumpers. Then when the game was on the line he continued (as he has pretty much all series) to play great defense on Dirk Nowitzki. Splitter is having a great series.
Dwight Howard, Houston Rockets. Another guy just having a monster series. He had 22 points on 15 shots, plus he had 14 rebounds. But more importantly he was part of the quick doubles the Rockets threw at LaMarcus Aldridge, which held him to 8 points on the might. If Portland is going to close out the series in Game 6, they need to find a way to deal with Howard.
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 6
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 9
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 27
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4
- Jim Buss defends Byron Scott as Lakers coach, “He has the Laker blood in him” 24
- Jim Buss open to the idea of Kobe Bryant playing beyond this season 32
- Derrick Rose on sexual assault suit: “I am confident I will be proven innocent” 4