May 1, 2014, 9:55 AM EDT
Magic Johnson went over the top in his complaining about the Lakers hiring Mike D’Antoni over Phil Jackson, undermining D’Antoni’s credibility with a segment of Lakers fans already predisposed to support Jackson.
Eventually, Johnson pledged to stop complaining.
But apparently D’Antoni resigning expired the statue of limitations on that (or at least allowed for back-handed grousing).
Announcement: Pro Basketball Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $60,000 Fantasy Basketball league for Thursday night’s games. It’s $25 to join and first prize is $8,000. Starts at 7pm ET on Thursday. Here’s the FanDuel link.
Soon, the Lakers will have a new coach for Magic to complain about. Whoever takes the job, it’s difficult to see him having much success next season.
D’Antoni was dealt a bad hand in roster quality, even though a Steve Nash–Kobe Bryant–Pau Gasol–Dwight Howard core once seemed so promising. Those players just never stayed healthy (or, in Howard’s case, in Los Angeles) long enough to thrive.
It’s impossible to know how D’Antoni would have done with a better roster – and more support.
- Man arrested after fight over who is better, Michael Jordan or LeBron James 2
- PBT Extra matchup to watch: Marcus Smart needs to take on Kyrie Irving challenge 0
- PBT Extra matchup to watch: Pelican guards need to stay with Curry, Thompson 1
- PBT Extra: Matchup to watch in Bulls vs. Bucks, Derrick Rose vs. Michael Carter-Williams 5
- Pat Riley: ‘No more smiling faces with hidden agendas.’ That’s totally about LeBron, right? 30
- Report: One Trail Blazers player gives LaMarcus Aldridge just 50-50 chance of re-signing 9
- Clippers put on offensive showcase, take Game 1 vs. Spurs 10
- Grizzlies overpower Blazers for commanding series-opening win 7