May 1, 2014, 9:55 AM EDT
Magic Johnson went over the top in his complaining about the Lakers hiring Mike D’Antoni over Phil Jackson, undermining D’Antoni’s credibility with a segment of Lakers fans already predisposed to support Jackson.
Eventually, Johnson pledged to stop complaining.
But apparently D’Antoni resigning expired the statue of limitations on that (or at least allowed for back-handed grousing).
Happy days are here again! Mike D'Antoni resigns as the Lakers coach. I couldn't be happier!—
Earvin Magic Johnson (@MagicJohnson) May 01, 2014
Announcement: Pro Basketball Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $60,000 Fantasy Basketball league for Thursday night’s games. It’s $25 to join and first prize is $8,000. Starts at 7pm ET on Thursday. Here’s the FanDuel link.
Soon, the Lakers will have a new coach for Magic to complain about. Whoever takes the job, it’s difficult to see him having much success next season.
D’Antoni was dealt a bad hand in roster quality, even though a Steve Nash-Kobe Bryant-Pau Gasol-Dwight Howard core once seemed so promising. Those players just never stayed healthy (or, in Howard’s case, in Los Angeles) long enough to thrive.
It’s impossible to know how D’Antoni would have done with a better roster – and more support.
- Team USA going small ball, but how many bigs do they keep on the bench? 3
- Report: LeBron James more popular than he ever was with the Heat 10
- Durant says 2014 USA team better than 2010 version that won gold 4
- Kevin Durant knows you’re talking about his free agency but isn’t giving many clues. He liked what LeBron did. 16
- Byron Scott makes ridiculous optimism sound reasonable 40
- Derrick Rose told Carmelo Anthony that if he came to Chicago “the game would be easy” 41
- LeBron James strips on stage, throws clothes into crowd (video) 23
- Is DeMarcus Cousins the big man Team USA can lean on? 22