May 1, 2014, 9:55 AM EST
Magic Johnson went over the top in his complaining about the Lakers hiring Mike D’Antoni over Phil Jackson, undermining D’Antoni’s credibility with a segment of Lakers fans already predisposed to support Jackson.
Eventually, Johnson pledged to stop complaining.
But apparently D’Antoni resigning expired the statue of limitations on that (or at least allowed for back-handed grousing).
Announcement: Pro Basketball Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $60,000 Fantasy Basketball league for Thursday night’s games. It’s $25 to join and first prize is $8,000. Starts at 7pm ET on Thursday. Here’s the FanDuel link.
Soon, the Lakers will have a new coach for Magic to complain about. Whoever takes the job, it’s difficult to see him having much success next season.
D’Antoni was dealt a bad hand in roster quality, even though a Steve Nash-Kobe Bryant-Pau Gasol-Dwight Howard core once seemed so promising. Those players just never stayed healthy (or, in Howard’s case, in Los Angeles) long enough to thrive.
It’s impossible to know how D’Antoni would have done with a better roster – and more support.
- Sources: Kings prefer George Karl, not serious about hiring Mark Jackson 2
- Nuggets Danilo Gallinari has meniscus tear in right knee, out three weeks after surgery 5
- Rajon Rondo was very Rondoesque in debut with Mavericks (VIDEO) 18
- Report: Kings discussing trade for Deron Williams with Nets 12
- Report: Multiple teams contacting Suns trying to trade for Goran Dragic 10
- Clippers rip officials after being called for seven technical fouls in loss to Nuggets 18
- Jeremy Lin after Kobe misses at the buzzer: ‘I like game-winners too’ 60
- Damian Lillard drops career high 43, leads Blazers to 3OT win over Spurs (VIDEO) 8