May 1, 2014, 9:55 AM EDT
Magic Johnson went over the top in his complaining about the Lakers hiring Mike D’Antoni over Phil Jackson, undermining D’Antoni’s credibility with a segment of Lakers fans already predisposed to support Jackson.
Eventually, Johnson pledged to stop complaining.
But apparently D’Antoni resigning expired the statue of limitations on that (or at least allowed for back-handed grousing).
Announcement: Pro Basketball Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $60,000 Fantasy Basketball league for Thursday night’s games. It’s $25 to join and first prize is $8,000. Starts at 7pm ET on Thursday. Here’s the FanDuel link.
Soon, the Lakers will have a new coach for Magic to complain about. Whoever takes the job, it’s difficult to see him having much success next season.
D’Antoni was dealt a bad hand in roster quality, even though a Steve Nash-Kobe Bryant-Pau Gasol-Dwight Howard core once seemed so promising. Those players just never stayed healthy (or, in Howard’s case, in Los Angeles) long enough to thrive.
It’s impossible to know how D’Antoni would have done with a better roster – and more support.
- Hey John Wall/Dion Waiters, Stephen Curry says Warriors have best backcourt. And he’s right. 41
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Charlotte Hornets 5
- Kobe Bryant plans to play in all 8 preseason games for Lakers 11
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Miami Heat 9
- Mike Miller points to him being amnestied as start of LeBron James leaving Miami 15
- Kobe Bryant thinks he could physically play beyond contract extension 14
- Trey Burke, in wake of nude-photo scandal: ‘My judgments will be much better’ 11
- Report: Kevin Durant says he wants to play in 2016 Olympics (his free agent summer) 5