May 1, 2014, 1:41 AM EDT
Houston survives to play another day.
Facing elimination in what had tight series with Portland — one where the Rockets kept getting outplayed in the fourth quarter — Houston finally closed out a game with authority.
Houston won 108-98 and now trail the Blazers 3-2 in the best-of-seven. Game 6 is Friday night in Portland — that is where the Blazers need to close it out. Go to a Game 7 back in Houston and anything can happen.
Lin provided the offensive spark on a night James Harden was 5-of-15 shooting (although he did have 8 points in the fourth quarter). Lin had 21 points and was a huge spark off the bench — that included a couple deep threes with a hand in his face to shut down Portland rallies in the fourth quarter. He played his best playoff game ever.
Dwight Howard has been a beast all series and he was again here — 22 points and 14 rebounds. More than that, Howard was key to the Rockets new defensive strategy of doubling LaMarcus Aldridge hard when he got the ball (which worked).
He was at the heart of the runs the Rockets made — there was a 15-0 run in the second quarter, when at one point the lead reached 17 points.
But as they have all series, the Trail Blazers had answers. Wesley Mathews had 27 points, Robin Lopez had 17 points and eight rebounds. The Rockets’ new defensive strategy on Aldridge held him to 8 points on the night.
With that, Houston played some of their best defense of the series, forcing turnovers and generally pestering Aldridge and the Blazers. Portland needs to find a way to free Aldridge or make the Rockets’ pay for doubling, because they want to close this out Friday night.
- Report: Paul Millsap had midnight meeting with Orlando, will decide between Magic and Hawks 0
- Report: Blazers, Damian Lillard nearing agreement on five-year max contract extension worth $120 million 11
- Report: Kawhi Leonard, Spurs reach deal for five-year, $90 million contract extension 16
- Anthony Davis and Pelicans agree to five-year, $145 million contract extension 29
- Report: Kevin Love to meet with Lakers later in week 13
- Report: Lakers working to clear out more cap space to land both LaMarcus Aldridge, DeAndre Jordan 32
- PBT Extra: What players will most influence free agency? 1
- PBT Podcast: The top guys to watch as NBA free agency tips off 3