Apr 30, 2014, 5:42 PM EDT
Tom Izzo to the NBA rumors will not die.
The legendary Michigan State coach’s name keeps coming up in coaching search talks, especially in Michigan where the Pistons happen to be looking for a coach.
But he did his best to shoot down the rumors again speaking with ESPN, which you would imagine a guy trying to get high school stars to come to play for him would like to do.
“First of all, I’m going to be at Michigan State,” Izzo said Wednesday on ESPNU’s College Basketball podcast… “If somebody made me an offer to be the head coach of the Los Angeles Lakers that was so good that it would impress everybody, does that mean I would never say never?” Izzo said. “I’m not doing that anymore. I’ve seen too many people get stung that way.
“Put it this way: I’ve got a big-time recruit coming in an hour and if I was leaving I wouldn’t be recruiting.”
Izzo says he is laughing at the idea he would leave, but the people recruiting against him are trying to use that idea.
Izzo’s name comes up in a lot of coach speculation. It is known Pistons owner Tom Gores is a big Izzo fan and would love to hire him away. However, Gores should work on getting a general manager in place first, then let the GM work out who should be the coach.
- Report: Kawhi Leonard, Spurs reach deal for five-year, $90 million contract extension 15
- Anthony Davis and Pelicans agree to five-year, $145 million contract extension 25
- Report: Kevin Love to meet with Lakers later in week 7
- Report: Lakers working to clear out more cap space to land both LaMarcus Aldridge, DeAndre Jordan 31
- PBT Extra: What players will most influence free agency? 1
- PBT Podcast: The top guys to watch as NBA free agency tips off 3
- Scottie Pippen: “I was LeBron James before LeBron James” 30
- Report: Kings probing John Calipari about his interest in coaching and running the team’s front office 22