Apr 30, 2014, 5:42 PM EDT
Tom Izzo to the NBA rumors will not die.
The legendary Michigan State coach’s name keeps coming up in coaching search talks, especially in Michigan where the Pistons happen to be looking for a coach.
But he did his best to shoot down the rumors again speaking with ESPN, which you would imagine a guy trying to get high school stars to come to play for him would like to do.
“First of all, I’m going to be at Michigan State,” Izzo said Wednesday on ESPNU’s College Basketball podcast… “If somebody made me an offer to be the head coach of the Los Angeles Lakers that was so good that it would impress everybody, does that mean I would never say never?” Izzo said. “I’m not doing that anymore. I’ve seen too many people get stung that way.
“Put it this way: I’ve got a big-time recruit coming in an hour and if I was leaving I wouldn’t be recruiting.”
Izzo says he is laughing at the idea he would leave, but the people recruiting against him are trying to use that idea.
Izzo’s name comes up in a lot of coach speculation. It is known Pistons owner Tom Gores is a big Izzo fan and would love to hire him away. However, Gores should work on getting a general manager in place first, then let the GM work out who should be the coach.
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 4
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 8
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 27
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4
- Jim Buss defends Byron Scott as Lakers coach, “He has the Laker blood in him” 24
- Jim Buss open to the idea of Kobe Bryant playing beyond this season 32
- Derrick Rose on sexual assault suit: “I am confident I will be proven innocent” 4