Apr 30, 2014, 5:42 PM EST
Tom Izzo to the NBA rumors will not die.
The legendary Michigan State coach’s name keeps coming up in coaching search talks, especially in Michigan where the Pistons happen to be looking for a coach.
But he did his best to shoot down the rumors again speaking with ESPN, which you would imagine a guy trying to get high school stars to come to play for him would like to do.
“First of all, I’m going to be at Michigan State,” Izzo said Wednesday on ESPNU’s College Basketball podcast… “If somebody made me an offer to be the head coach of the Los Angeles Lakers that was so good that it would impress everybody, does that mean I would never say never?” Izzo said. “I’m not doing that anymore. I’ve seen too many people get stung that way.
“Put it this way: I’ve got a big-time recruit coming in an hour and if I was leaving I wouldn’t be recruiting.”
Izzo says he is laughing at the idea he would leave, but the people recruiting against him are trying to use that idea.
Izzo’s name comes up in a lot of coach speculation. It is known Pistons owner Tom Gores is a big Izzo fan and would love to hire him away. However, Gores should work on getting a general manager in place first, then let the GM work out who should be the coach.
- League suspends James Harden one game for kick to LeBron James’ groin 15
- PBT’s weekly NBA Power Rankings: Hawks seem to be out of malaise. Maybe. 8
- Report: Jimmy Butler could miss three to four weeks with elbow injury 5
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Sunday: James Harden, LeBron James want your MVP vote 11
- Report: Sixers agree to buyout with JaVale McGee; he can sign with contender 36
- Bulls’ Jimmy Butler leaves with elbow injury, does not return (VIDEO) 0
- Adam Silver says data may prove Gregg Popovich right in terms of resting multiple players 18
- Rockets general manager Daryl Morey proposes loosening NBA trade rules 6