Apr 30, 2014, 2:42 AM EDT
The Thunder didn’t lose this game just because of Joey Crawford — they were down 20 points in the third quarter to Memphis and that wasn’t on the refs — but somehow when Joey Crawford is the referee it always ends up being about Joey Crawford.
The situation was this: Oklahoma City was down two with 27.5 seconds left in overtime when going for a rebound Tony Allen went over the back of Kevin Durant and fouled him, sending Durant to the free throw line for two. Durant drains the first one, it’s now 100-99 Memphis.
Then just as Durant starts his free throw motion referee Joey Crawford blows his whistle and sprints out to stop the shot, taking the ball away from Durant. Crawford them went over to the scorers table to correct the number of team fouls on the scoreboard, yelling at the board operators. Then he returned to reset the free throw.
His rhythm blown, Durant misses the second free throw.
The final score, 100-99 Memphis.
And Crawford is in the spotlight again.
- Report: Tobias Harris reaches four-year, $64 million extension to stay with Orlando 15
- Report: Rajon Rondo agrees to one-year, $9.5 million deal with Sacramento Kings 44
- Report: DeAndre Jordan agrees to four-year, $80 million deal to join Dallas Mavericks 53
- Report: Kings signing Marco Belinelli to three-year, $19 million contract 19
- Report: Knicks to sign Robin Lopez to four-year, $54 million contract (unless DeAndre Jordan changes his mind) 12
- PBT Extra: Free agent signings we didn’t love 6
- Report: Wes Matthews reaches agreement to join Dallas Mavericks 23
- PBT Extra: Five best free agent signings in the first days of free agency 11