Apr 30, 2014, 9:22 AM EDT
Once secret and mysterious, the NBA constitution is now available for anyone to read.
The league posted the document to its media website yesterday after announcing Donald Sterling’s lifetime ban. NBA commissioner Adam Silver pledged transparency, and this was a nice step toward it.
Really, the move comes with no apparent harm. The advantage is the NBA’s fans will better understand the league and become more engaged.
Did Silver have the authority to ban Sterling? Read the constitution, and decide for yourself. Then, consult an attorney to explain how many different ways the rules can be interpreted.
A lot of it is trivial – “The name of this Association shall be the National Basketball Association” – but there are a few interesting nuggets if you read closely. Among them:
- The NBA collects 45 percent of ticket revenue from each playoff game and then uses a portion of it to pay players and coaches.
- NBA teams must ensure nobody enters referees’ dressing rooms without permission of the referees.
- A traded player is paid for the day of his trade by the trading team – unless the receiving team activates him for a game that day. Then, the receiving team pays him.
Apr 21, 2015, 8:00 PM EDT
Bulls forward strained knee in scuffle with Zaza Pachulia
Apr 21, 2015, 7:15 PM EDT
Expect to see a lot more Kawhi Leonard (and Danny Green) on Paul from the start.
Apr 21, 2015, 6:30 PM EDT
He said it was a running joke with a teammate.
Apr 21, 2015, 5:40 PM EDT
Lillard was 5-of-21 in Game 1.
Apr 21, 2015, 4:51 PM EDT
The twins were allegedly part of a group that beat up a man outside a rec league basketball tournament.
Apr 21, 2015, 4:14 PM EDT
Horford is going to have work to do on the defensive end slowing down Brook Lopez.
Apr 21, 2015, 3:30 PM EDT
Well done, Zach Randolph and the Memphis Grizzlies.
Apr 21, 2015, 2:43 PM EDT
Teletovic was originally ruled out for the season on Jan. 23.
Apr 21, 2015, 1:50 PM EDT
Is nothing sacred?
Nets coach Lionel Hollins isn’t focused on stopping Kyle Korver: ‘It’s not like we’re talking Stephen Curry’
Apr 21, 2015, 1:10 PM EDT
Korver led the Hawks with 21 points in Atlanta’s Game 1 win over the Nets.
Apr 21, 2015, 12:30 PM EDT
He’ll consider everything.
Apr 21, 2015, 11:50 AM EDT
Another report has Aldridge at no better than 50-50 to re-sign with the Blazers.
Apr 21, 2015, 11:10 AM EDT
Williams will be an unrestricted free agent this summer.
Apr 21, 2015, 10:26 AM EDT
Full voting results enclosed.
Apr 21, 2015, 9:50 AM EDT
Butler wasn’t wrong — he torched the Bucks for 31 points.
Bucks’ Zaza Pachulia ejected after two incidents with Bulls’ Nikola Mirotic, who left the game due to injury (VIDEO)
Apr 21, 2015, 9:10 AM EDT
Mirotic suffered a quad strain, a swollen knee and possibly a concussion.
Apr 21, 2015, 8:30 AM EDT
Klay Thompson was the catalyst for both big Golden State runs.
Apr 21, 2015, 8:00 AM EDT
It’s more around than over Pachulia, but it’s still impressive.
Apr 21, 2015, 1:37 AM EDT
Golden State wins Game 2, 97-87
Apr 21, 2015, 12:14 AM EDT
Pierce’s comments made him unpopular north of the border, but his play should bother the Raptors more.
- PBT Extra matchups to watch: Spurs look for ways to contain Chris Paul 1
- PBT Extra matchups to watch: Can Memphis keep Damian Lillard in check? 0
- Report: Suns’ Morris twins charged with aggravated assault 8
- Hawks’ Mike Budenholzer named 2014-15 NBA Coach of the Year 9
- With Anthony Davis and Pelicans drained, Warriors deliver down the stretch 12
- PBT Extra matchup to watch: Can Toronto keep Paul Pierce quiet on the court? 6
- Bulls overcome ugly start to take 2-0 series lead over Bucks 14
- PBT Extra matchup to watch: Dallas has to find a way to deal with Dwight Howard 6