Apr 30, 2014, 9:22 AM EDT
Once secret and mysterious, the NBA constitution is now available for anyone to read.
The league posted the document to its media website yesterday after announcing Donald Sterling’s lifetime ban. NBA commissioner Adam Silver pledged transparency, and this was a nice step toward it.
Really, the move comes with no apparent harm. The advantage is the NBA’s fans will better understand the league and become more engaged.
Did Silver have the authority to ban Sterling? Read the constitution, and decide for yourself. Then, consult an attorney to explain how many different ways the rules can be interpreted.
A lot of it is trivial – “The name of this Association shall be the National Basketball Association” – but there are a few interesting nuggets if you read closely. Among them:
- The NBA collects 45 percent of ticket revenue from each playoff game and then uses a portion of it to pay players and coaches.
- NBA teams must ensure nobody enters referees’ dressing rooms without permission of the referees.
- A traded player is paid for the day of his trade by the trading team – unless the receiving team activates him for a game that day. Then, the receiving team pays him.
Sep 2, 2014, 8:30 PM EDT
Derrick Rose, James Harden and Kenneth Faried appeared stunned by traditional pregame dance
Sep 2, 2014, 7:30 PM EDT
Golden State also announces signing of Aaron Craft, who previously reached deal
Sep 2, 2014, 6:36 PM EDT
Can’t blame a team for trying, I guess.
Sep 2, 2014, 5:45 PM EDT
He will miss most and maybe all of training camp.
Sep 2, 2014, 4:59 PM EDT
I think the Warriors are pretty set at the guard spot, but he would had some toughness.
Sep 2, 2014, 4:13 PM EDT
When big men run the floor hard, good things happen.
Sep 2, 2014, 3:30 PM EDT
Ingles off to hot start in World Cup
Sep 2, 2014, 2:43 PM EDT
I mean, there’s always a chance.
Sep 2, 2014, 2:01 PM EDT
Team USA was supposed to be a perimeter-based team, but through three games the bigs are stealing the show.
Sep 2, 2014, 1:18 PM EDT
Greek Freak in action.
Sep 2, 2014, 12:39 PM EDT
Curry fired back on Twitter to someone who made a joke at the expense of his shoes.
Sep 2, 2014, 11:59 AM EDT
Erik Spoelstra is changing things up a bit.
Sep 2, 2014, 11:18 AM EDT
Rose was originally penciled in as the starter, but Kyrie Irving has been more deserving thus far.
Sep 2, 2014, 10:37 AM EDT
This should make Bulls fans extremely happy.
Sep 2, 2014, 9:59 AM EDT
Cleveland, now with championship aspirations, may not feel the same way.
Sep 2, 2014, 9:22 AM EDT
Mozgov could play with LeBron James, for David Blatt (his Russian national team coach)
Sep 2, 2014, 8:45 AM EDT
The young Pistons could use this kind of locker room leader.
Sep 2, 2014, 7:59 AM EDT
“I’ve played 18 years, and the way I look at my career, I’m content with everything that I’ve done. I just want to take this summer and see how it goes.” —Ray Allen
Sep 2, 2014, 12:45 AM EDT
Pau Gasol dropped 26 on Brazil, grabbed 9 boards and even blocked Nene at the rim.
Sep 2, 2014, 12:02 AM EDT
Miami reportedly most interested in Emeka Okafor
- Report: Washington Wizards contact Ray Allen, too 3
- Hornets rookie Noah Vonleh out 6-8 weeks after sports hernia surgery 14
- USA sails past New Zealand for easy 98-71 win behind Anthony Davis, Kenneth Faried 8
- Ray Allen on making a decision about next season: “I’m not in any rush” 11
- Derrick Rose after first back-to-back in years: “I’m feeling good right now” 4
- Report: Rajon Rondo wants to start season with Celtics, see how things unfold 11
- Rajon Rondo’s agent denies they asked Celtics for a trade 14
- Team USA trails at the half, then pulls away for 98-77 win over Turkey at FIBA World Cup 19