Joakim Noah played with knee pain the second half of season

Apr 30, 2014, 2:15 PM EDT

Joakim Noah AP

It is very Joakim Noah, very Tom Thibodeau, very Chicago Bulls:

Now that the season is over we are learning the NBA’s Defensive Player of the Year, the guy that was the fulcrum of the Bulls offense for much of the season, played through a lot of knee pain the second half of the season (according to coach Tom Thibodeau). You could tell Noah was hobbled in Game 5 Tuesday — a Bulls loss to the Wizards that ended Chicago’s season — but he would not come out.

After the game he opened up to Aggrey Sam of CSNChicago.com.

“There’s really no excuses right now. It’s been a long year and yeah, I’ve got things I’ve got to take care of,” Noah said. “My knee. My knee is bothering me. My left knee. I’m not sure what it is, but I was able to play today. I think I was limited a little bit. But it’s no excuses. I’ll check it out, find out what’s wrong and take care of it. And now, we’ve got a lot of time to take care of it.”

Noah then went on to talk about all the things he needs to work on this summer to get better as a player so he is able to lead the Bulls farther next season.

The interesting question is who will be Noah’s teammates in Chicago next season.

1. LilTmac2003 - Apr 30, 2014 at 2:50 PM

If you watched the Bulls, than you’d obviously know that something was definitely wrong with his leg. I didn’t really realize it until towards the end of the season.

No excuses nonetheless. Get healthy for next season. Good job, boys.

2. fnc111 - Apr 30, 2014 at 3:01 PM

A bunch if scrubs will be his teammates. He’s in the same situation Kevin Love is. Star player in the prime of his career, in a cold weather city that can’t attract major free agents.

• calkinsrob - Apr 30, 2014 at 3:03 PM

Please dont compare Minnesota to Chicago…

3. calkinsrob - Apr 30, 2014 at 3:03 PM

what did Taj’s injury turn out to be?

• calkinsrob - Apr 30, 2014 at 9:03 PM

lol why would anyone dislike this. Its an honest question.

• LilTmac2003 - May 1, 2014 at 4:04 AM

Lol. I liked both of your comments man, I really don’t know where the hate is coming from.

But Taj took an MRI and the X-rays were negative. His foot is not broken, it’s just sprained.

• calkinsrob - May 1, 2014 at 2:39 PM

Thank you! good news on taj

4. rodge1 - Apr 30, 2014 at 3:12 PM

He injured his leg celebrating every layup like he was winning the Finals.

5. theebadguy - Apr 30, 2014 at 3:12 PM

And here come the excuses

• ranfan12 - Apr 30, 2014 at 6:50 PM

Not really an excuse. They lost. Noah is one person, not the team, or else they are blaming him for losing, which I doubt.

6. sumkat - Apr 30, 2014 at 4:01 PM

I find this odd. I can see playing through pain, it’s expected when you make this much money. But the headline isn’t “Noah played second half of the season with a strained ligament in his knee”. Seems to me if one of my best players had knee pain, I’d at least have him checked out and have an actual medical diagnosis

• pudgalvin - Apr 30, 2014 at 8:12 PM

I think, based on what I’ve heard, is that it’s been hurting him for a while, but he re tweaked something a game or two ago and it hadn’t gotten better. I’m guessing he didn’t say much when he hurt it again. I believe he was getting another MRI today.

7. scottychicago - Apr 30, 2014 at 4:30 PM

If Thibs was really aware, why play him 40 minutes every game down the stretch?

8. arrondior - Apr 30, 2014 at 5:07 PM

If it was that serious he would have known what it was. I mean who has knee pain bad enough to talk about but not bad enough to see a professional about?

9. Eutaw's Finest - Apr 30, 2014 at 5:34 PM

And NeNe is still ailing from his injury that knocked him out for a month, so what’s your point? Most players (who are still playing) have some sort of nagging injury, whether it be knee or ankle or shoulder or something else. It’s a long season. Players get hurt and worn down. It’s part of the game.

That being said, hopefully it’s nothing major and it’s just run of the mill wear and tear from the season. Best to Noah.

10. void96eater - Apr 30, 2014 at 6:18 PM

Jo’s face in the thumbnail is priceless.

11. patriotsarespygaters - Apr 30, 2014 at 6:50 PM

Lol they make the excuse then say no excuses… Okay

12. jimeejohnson - Apr 30, 2014 at 8:12 PM

He’s somebody anybody who wants to win would take on their team in a second. Daaaaaaaa Noah!

13. cantonb0und13 - Apr 30, 2014 at 9:11 PM

Off topic but…

Why do people continue to love Durant sooooo much??? I don’t know understand why everyone has a man crush for Durant… He been awful for TWO STRAIGHT POSTSEASON! He admitted that T. Allen is getting into his head… Really “MVP” honestly can’t stand Durant. This dude had bunch of talent since day one of his career. Stop making excuses.

14. eugenesaxe1 - Apr 30, 2014 at 11:39 PM

Who hasn’t been playing in pain? That’s part of the job description when you’re a pro athlete.

15. iowahbr - May 1, 2014 at 7:24 AM

Last Bulls comments for the season:

1. Thibs is a great coach.
    2. One draft choice away from greatness
    3. wait till Rose is healthy
    4. It’s all Boozer’s fault.
    5. blue collar b-ball at it’s best.
    6. the Heat better look out in 2015

File those notes for next year as well.

• pudgalvin - May 1, 2014 at 8:24 AM

I’ve been a Boozer defender, but that fourth quarter the other night was basically the perfect summation of Boozer’s time in Chicago. A fitting send off.

Hopefully, at some point we can stop saying wait until next year.

Heat can make playoffs without LeBron
Top 10 NBA Player Searches