Apr 29, 2014, 10:10 AM EDT
Late in the season, the Warriors lost two assistant coaches due to mysterious circumstances.
But now we have some information on Erman.
Sources said Erman, who was coach Mark Jackson’s second assistant, would record coaches’ meetings, meetings between the coaches and players, and informal discussions among coaches that took place in the team’s coaches room — all without the participants’ knowledge.
“He was taping everything,” one source said. “Taping pregame speeches wouldn’t have been that bad, but he was taping guys just sitting around talking in the coaches’ office.”
Sometimes Erman would be present during the tapings. Other times, he would leave the room and leave his phone behind to record conversations the other coaches were having.
It is unclear what Erman did with the recordings. The sources weren’t sure if he shared them with the club’s owners or front office executives.
Yup, that would be a fireable offense. Thanks to an unrelated matter, I now know it would even be illegal.
We haven’t heard Erman’s side, but even if he did exactly what Broussard’s source claims, this isn’t an unforgivable offense.
Creepy? Yes. Wrong? Yes. Requiring of remorse? Yes.
But if Erman responds properly, it shouldn’t end his NBA career. And apparently it won’t.
Erman, who previously worked for the Celtics before joining Golden State, has a new job.
In the aftermath of his departure from the Warriors, which league sources say stemmed from a single taped conversation of Warriors coaches who had been working to undermine his game preparation and relationships with players, Erman accepted the job to return to Boston where his NBA coaching career began in 2007.
Before agreeing to rejoin the Celtics, Erman had job opportunities that included rejoining Doc Rivers with the Los Angeles Clippers, league sources said.
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Chicago Bulls 0
- Tony Parker hits a back over-the-head halfcourt shot (VIDEO) 8
- Timberwolves ‘not necessarily in a rush’ to agree to contract extension with Ricky Rubio 15
- Andray Blatche signs deal to play in China next season 11
- Is Klay Thompson the best two-way shooting guard? Stephen Curry would ‘put him up against anybody.’ 18
- UPDATED Report: Timberwolves make push for Eric Bledsoe, Suns not interested in sign-and-trade talks 40
- LeBron James unveils latest signature shoe from Nike: The LEBRON 12 12
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Toronto Raptors 10