Apr 29, 2014, 9:03 PM EDT
In his new role as president of basketball operations with the Knicks, it’s no secret that Phil Jackson will be employing people that he trusts, and who have at least a cursory knowledge of the triangle offense.
Steve Kerr is the primary target for the head coaching spot, and one of Kerr’s teammates appears to be in line for a position on his staff if Jackson’s plan comes together.
Bill Cartwright met with Knicks president Phil Jackson on Sunday and Monday to discuss taking a position on the Knicks’ coaching staff, a league source confirmed.
Cartwright, who played for Jackson in Chicago and served as an assistant and head coach with the Bulls, could be added as an assistant under potential head coach Steve Kerr. …
Kerr also hired Cartwright as an assistant coach with Phoenix during his term as general manager. Cartwright’s meeting with Jackson was first reported by the New York Daily News.
If it ends up happening, this wouldn’t be simply hiring a familiar face, as Cartwright has put in the work. He has 13 seasons worth of assistant coaching experience, and has worked with current Knicks forward Amar’e Stoudemire when the two were with the Suns in Phoenix.
Cartwright would be a somewhat obvious choice as an addition to Jackson’s Knicks coaching staff, especially under Kerr. The important thing to note in all of this is that Jackson is tapping his own people, and trying to put them in place as soon as possible in order to begin to turn the Knicks around.
- PBT Extra with NBASavant.com: Cleveland may want to cover Curry in the left corner 1
- It’s official: Scott Skiles hired as head coach of Orlando Magic 15
- PBT Podcast: Talking Thibodeau/Bulls divorce; future for Rockets, Hawks 0
- Warriors’ Klay Thompson officially diagnosed with concussion 16
- Klay Thompson should not have been cleared to return to Game 5 after concussion evaluation 15
- Dwight Howard suspended one game after foul switcheroo 18
- Three coaches who may replace Tom Thibodeau in Chicago 12
- Report: Kevin Love going to “look around” this summer as free agent; Celtics, Lakers, Rockets possible 46