Apr 29, 2014, 9:03 PM EDT
In his new role as president of basketball operations with the Knicks, it’s no secret that Phil Jackson will be employing people that he trusts, and who have at least a cursory knowledge of the triangle offense.
Steve Kerr is the primary target for the head coaching spot, and one of Kerr’s teammates appears to be in line for a position on his staff if Jackson’s plan comes together.
Bill Cartwright met with Knicks president Phil Jackson on Sunday and Monday to discuss taking a position on the Knicks’ coaching staff, a league source confirmed.
Cartwright, who played for Jackson in Chicago and served as an assistant and head coach with the Bulls, could be added as an assistant under potential head coach Steve Kerr. …
Kerr also hired Cartwright as an assistant coach with Phoenix during his term as general manager. Cartwright’s meeting with Jackson was first reported by the New York Daily News.
If it ends up happening, this wouldn’t be simply hiring a familiar face, as Cartwright has put in the work. He has 13 seasons worth of assistant coaching experience, and has worked with current Knicks forward Amar’e Stoudemire when the two were with the Suns in Phoenix.
Cartwright would be a somewhat obvious choice as an addition to Jackson’s Knicks coaching staff, especially under Kerr. The important thing to note in all of this is that Jackson is tapping his own people, and trying to put them in place as soon as possible in order to begin to turn the Knicks around.
- UPDATED Report: Timberwolves make push for Eric Bledsoe, Suns not interested in sign-and-trade talks 21
- LeBron James unveils latest signature shoe from Nike: The LEBRON 12 11
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Toronto Raptors 10
- Dwyane Wade credits David Stern’s dress code for improving his style 15
- Kevin Durant has grown close with Karl Malone 15
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Philadelphia 76ers 5
- Steve Kerr said Danny Ferry made mistake but is a “man of high character” 33
- LeBron James on Kyrie Irving: “I believe Kyrie can be the best point guard in the league.” 25