Apr 29, 2014, 9:03 PM EDT
In his new role as president of basketball operations with the Knicks, it’s no secret that Phil Jackson will be employing people that he trusts, and who have at least a cursory knowledge of the triangle offense.
Steve Kerr is the primary target for the head coaching spot, and one of Kerr’s teammates appears to be in line for a position on his staff if Jackson’s plan comes together.
Bill Cartwright met with Knicks president Phil Jackson on Sunday and Monday to discuss taking a position on the Knicks’ coaching staff, a league source confirmed.
Cartwright, who played for Jackson in Chicago and served as an assistant and head coach with the Bulls, could be added as an assistant under potential head coach Steve Kerr. …
Kerr also hired Cartwright as an assistant coach with Phoenix during his term as general manager. Cartwright’s meeting with Jackson was first reported by the New York Daily News.
If it ends up happening, this wouldn’t be simply hiring a familiar face, as Cartwright has put in the work. He has 13 seasons worth of assistant coaching experience, and has worked with current Knicks forward Amar’e Stoudemire when the two were with the Suns in Phoenix.
Cartwright would be a somewhat obvious choice as an addition to Jackson’s Knicks coaching staff, especially under Kerr. The important thing to note in all of this is that Jackson is tapping his own people, and trying to put them in place as soon as possible in order to begin to turn the Knicks around.
- Should NBA coaches get NFL style challenge flags? 11
- Report: Suns discussing trade possibilities for Eric Bledsoe 17
- Report: Sixers may look to trade for Amar’e Stoudemire at this season’s deadline 29
- Kevin Durant reiterates that rest was his reason for withdrawing from Team USA 9
- Kobe Bryant says he will not be same player as before, says he’s evolved into something equally good 24
- Report: Agent for Greg Monroe pursued sign-and-trade deals with five teams, including Thunder and Blazers 25
- Derrick Rose sits out another Team USA practice, not likely to start Wednesday 23
- DeMarcus Cousins practices with team USA Tuesday, says he’s 50-50 for Wednesday game 2