Apr 29, 2014, 9:03 PM EDT
In his new role as president of basketball operations with the Knicks, it’s no secret that Phil Jackson will be employing people that he trusts, and who have at least a cursory knowledge of the triangle offense.
Steve Kerr is the primary target for the head coaching spot, and one of Kerr’s teammates appears to be in line for a position on his staff if Jackson’s plan comes together.
Bill Cartwright met with Knicks president Phil Jackson on Sunday and Monday to discuss taking a position on the Knicks’ coaching staff, a league source confirmed.
Cartwright, who played for Jackson in Chicago and served as an assistant and head coach with the Bulls, could be added as an assistant under potential head coach Steve Kerr. …
Kerr also hired Cartwright as an assistant coach with Phoenix during his term as general manager. Cartwright’s meeting with Jackson was first reported by the New York Daily News.
If it ends up happening, this wouldn’t be simply hiring a familiar face, as Cartwright has put in the work. He has 13 seasons worth of assistant coaching experience, and has worked with current Knicks forward Amar’e Stoudemire when the two were with the Suns in Phoenix.
Cartwright would be a somewhat obvious choice as an addition to Jackson’s Knicks coaching staff, especially under Kerr. The important thing to note in all of this is that Jackson is tapping his own people, and trying to put them in place as soon as possible in order to begin to turn the Knicks around.
- Who should Clippers get to replace DeAndre Jordan? How about Blake Griffin. 0
- Report: Tobias Harris reaches four-year, $64 million extension to stay with Orlando 23
- Report: Rajon Rondo agrees to one-year, $9.5 million deal with Sacramento Kings 45
- Report: DeAndre Jordan agrees to four-year, $80 million deal to join Dallas Mavericks 54
- Report: Kings signing Marco Belinelli to three-year, $19 million contract 19
- Report: Knicks to sign Robin Lopez to four-year, $54 million contract (unless DeAndre Jordan changes his mind) 12
- PBT Extra: Free agent signings we didn’t love 6
- Report: Wes Matthews reaches agreement to join Dallas Mavericks 23