Apr 29, 2014, 2:59 AM EDT
Our quick look around the NBA, or what you missed while wondering anyone would take a “shelfie”…
Steve Clifford/Al Jefferson, Charlotte Bobcats. This is a season-long grade, not for getting swept by the Heat. Charlotte was expected to be a lottery team, a continued punch line. Two things changed that. One was Steve Clifford as coach — he got a team of guys not exactly known as defensive stalwarts to play committed, hard nosed defense every game. As the Heat saw in this playoff series, the Bobcats just are not easy to play against. The second thing was Al Jefferson, who had a monster 21 and 10 season and gave the Bobcats a consistent, quality scoring option inside. They missed the real him in these playoffs. Together they made the Bobcats respectable this season. That is a big step forward for the franchise.
Mike Scott, Atlanta Hawks. The Atlanta Hawks are on the verge of eliminating the East’s top seed and Mike Scott was a key reason — he came off the bench to drain four straight threes in second, and he went on to hit 5-of-6 from three, score 17 points and lead the hot shooting Hawks to the win.
Manu Ginobili, San Antonio Spurs. He has been the Spurs best player this series, he is the guy driving their offense. The Mavericks have no good answer for him. He had 23 points, 5 assists and was +11 in this game, not to mention he knocked key free throws late. He generally was the guy driving the Mavs crazy. Has been all series. If the Spurs win this series, he’s their MVP.
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: New York Knicks 4
- Klay Thompson’s agent: Thompson better two-way shooting guard than Kobe Bryant 25
- Report: Greg Oden’s drinking an issue during season, alleged domestic assault 22
- Kevin Durant calls Allen Iverson “pound for pound” best ever 28
- PBT Extra: What players looked good at World Cup? 4
- Time for FIBA/NBA to adopt soccer model: Only one major tournament every four years 16
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Brooklyn Nets 3
- Five lessons learned from the FIBA World Cup 10