Apr 29, 2014, 12:42 AM EDT
Not accurate, he says.
To NBA Fans, I want to put a stop to a rumor. I am not trying to buy the Clippers, they already have an owner.—
Earvin Magic Johnson (@MagicJohnson) April 29, 2014
Is “they already have an owner” supposed to explain “I am not trying to buy the Clippers”? If they didn’t already have an owner, whom would Johnson buy them from?
When Johnson bought the Dodgers, he bought them from Frank McCourt. McCourt was their owner until Johnson bought them. That’s how this works. It isn’t complicated.
And what if the Clippers no longer had an active owner? By Tuesday afternoon, Donald Sterling might be suspended indefinitely. Would Johnson want to buy the Clippers then?
Perhaps, Johnson realized he looked too opportunistic and is doing a bit of damage control. In light of Adrian Wojnarowski’s detailed report, it’ll take more than Johnson’s public denial for me to believe he’s not interested in buying the Clippers.
- Durant says 2014 USA team better than 2010 version that won gold 4
- Kevin Durant knows you’re talking about his free agency but isn’t giving many clues. He liked what LeBron did. 16
- Byron Scott makes ridiculous optimism sound reasonable 40
- Derrick Rose told Carmelo Anthony that if he came to Chicago “the game would be easy” 40
- LeBron James strips on stage, throws clothes into crowd (video) 23
- Is DeMarcus Cousins the big man Team USA can lean on? 19
- Lakers make it official — finally — and hire Byron Scott as head coach 13
- Derrick Rose: “I’ve become a smarter player, but I’m mad it took me seven years to learn it.” 29