Apr 29, 2014, 12:42 AM EDT
Not accurate, he says.
To NBA Fans, I want to put a stop to a rumor. I am not trying to buy the Clippers, they already have an owner.—
Earvin Magic Johnson (@MagicJohnson) April 29, 2014
Is “they already have an owner” supposed to explain “I am not trying to buy the Clippers”? If they didn’t already have an owner, whom would Johnson buy them from?
When Johnson bought the Dodgers, he bought them from Frank McCourt. McCourt was their owner until Johnson bought them. That’s how this works. It isn’t complicated.
And what if the Clippers no longer had an active owner? By Tuesday afternoon, Donald Sterling might be suspended indefinitely. Would Johnson want to buy the Clippers then?
Perhaps, Johnson realized he looked too opportunistic and is doing a bit of damage control. In light of Adrian Wojnarowski’s detailed report, it’ll take more than Johnson’s public denial for me to believe he’s not interested in buying the Clippers.
- Kevin Love pulling out of USA Basketball due to lingering likelihood of trade from Timberwolves 0
- Why are the Lakers hiring Byron Scott as head coach? 3
- Report: NBA considering week-long break for All-Star Game next year 3
- Report: Knicks made (ridiculous) offer to trade for Kevin Love 48
- Report: Lakers finally offer coaching position to Byron Scott, deal expected soon 26
- Report: Cavaliers leading Kevin Love-trade sweepstakes 41
- Chris Paul on boycott if Sterling is still owner: “That’s something me and Doc are both talking about” 32
- Players union approves of Thunder’s Josh Huestis arrangement 16