Kevin Durant admits Tony Allen has gotten is in his head

Apr 29, 2014, 7:09 PM EST

Kevin Durant, Tony Allen Kevin Durant, Tony Allen

Kevin Durant is scoring 28.5 points a game, but one of the most efficient elite scorers ever — he had a ridiculous true shooting percentage of .635 this season — has been slowed down in the playoffs.

With Tony Allen being physical on him and good help defense (including Marc Gasol) Durant is shooting 39.6 percent this postseason, with a true shooting percentage of .493. He was 5-of-21 shooting in Game 4. You can see it is bothering him, with Durant rushing his usually fluid shot. The only games they are winning is when someone other than Durant or Russell Westbrook step up (such as Reggie Jackson’s 32 in Game 4).

Durant admitted that Tony Allen’s defense is starting to get into his head, reports Brian Windhorst at ESPN.

“I’m worrying about a guy coming from behind trying to block the shot,” Durant said. “I’ve just got to focus in on the rim and my shot. I can’t go out there and think too much, I have to let my instincts take over….

“I’m not being disciplined enough in my shot,” Durant said. “I’m either pulling it back too quick or shooting too quick.”

Can Durant find a comfort zone back at home in Game 5? You can say, “the Grizzlies can’t hold this great a scorer down forever” but they don’t need to hold him down forever, just keep him in check three more games. Don’t let him become the super efficient Durant from the regular season.

What matters more is if Durant gets some help. If it’s just him and Westbrook against the world Memphis will have the upper hand.

1. jamesk2465 - Apr 29, 2014 at 7:22 PM

You don’t say this especially when you’re still in a playoff series against them. Keep it to yourself

• kb2408 - Apr 29, 2014 at 8:13 PM

I kinda agree with you. But if he comes out and lights him up his honesty will make it even sweeter.

• jamesk2465 - Apr 29, 2014 at 9:30 PM

you shouldn’t admit a player has a psychological advantage over you. Kobe would never admit something like this

• stayhigh_247 - Apr 29, 2014 at 10:51 PM

This should have come out after he retired and wrote a book. If i’m Tony Allen I’m gonna keep the pressure on even more now.

2. antistratfordian - Apr 29, 2014 at 7:24 PM

“I have to let my instincts take over….”

The same instincts that had him shoot 4-15 from three against Phoenix? 3-13 from three against Utah? Or 3-13 from three against the Lakers? Or maybe he’s talking about when he shot 8-26 against the Clippers or 7-22 against Golden State or 8-24 against the Bobcats…

Sometimes Durant just naturally chucks up tons of bricks.

3. kb2408 - Apr 29, 2014 at 7:29 PM

It’s time for KD to bust out. I see 35-40 pts tonight.

• jimeejohnson - Apr 29, 2014 at 7:41 PM

Agree with you. KD’s playin’ his own mind games, and you can’t stop him indefinitely, although Tony Allen’s gonna try. That’s why they call it “this great game”.

• antistratfordian - Apr 30, 2014 at 12:52 AM

Well, you were close… just needed about three more OTs.

4. jzone954 - Apr 29, 2014 at 8:07 PM

Tony Allen needs to just stick to the game plan. Make him continue to go for jumpers. You can only hold Durant down so much, but Allen is doing a nice job.

5. jzone954 - Apr 29, 2014 at 8:09 PM

Another observation, taking any “prediction” form kb seriously is ILL ADVISED.

• billtetley53 - Apr 29, 2014 at 10:56 PM

No kidding! He predicts 35-40 and KD is sitting at 12 points near the end of the 3rd.
      Youd think the dummy would quit making predictions, hes wrong 98% of the time.
      He doesnt care how dumb he looks though. Thats probably a good thing for him.
      Hes a laughingstick and hes oblivious to it.

• loungefly74 - Apr 30, 2014 at 12:36 AM

says the guy who only follows a player (not a team)…dude, no cred for you on any input you have, junior. yeah, I’m still laughing about that, kid. there is no way to justify that. pathetic.

6. jzone954 - Apr 29, 2014 at 8:20 PM

Well if he gets going it’s doesn’t matter who is on him…..

7. money2long - Apr 30, 2014 at 3:29 AM

Title sounds a little funny

8. billtetley53 - Apr 30, 2014 at 9:06 AM

Laugh all you want madam. There arent any rules to fandom. If I choose to root for a player because i admire his old school work ethic and because he plays the game the right way, I can. Its my fandom.
    Im sure you root for thr lakers due to geography or because your father did. In essence, youre a sheep. Its not like I bandwagoned on to a sure thing, they are a playoff team, but by no means a favorite.

Id ask you why you defend KB, but I found out long ago, that you are just as ignorant, if not more than he is.
    So listen young lady, leave the hoops talk to us men, you are in over your head.
    I couldnt care less if i have any “cred” with you, youve proven over time you are a know nothing.
    Cred? Ugh! Your like a walking punching bag using slang from 10 years ago trying to look cool.

The guy i root for is in the playoffs, how about the lakers little girl?
    Baaaaaa.

Can red hot Warriors sustain success?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches