Apr 28, 2014, 5:45 PM EDT
If you were starting a team and could have any shooting guard in the NBA, how would you rank your choices?
James Harden would top most lists.
Among the contenders:
- Arron Afflalo
- Bradley Beal
- Jimmy Butler
- Monta Ellis
- Wesley Matthews
- Victor Oladipo
- Lance Stephenson
- Klay Thompson
- Dwyane Wade
Who you’d pick depends on preference – playing style, fit with other players and how quickly your team is trying to win.
The Warriors have a player on the list – Thompson – who thrives in their 3-point-happy system, plays extremely well with their other starters and is already good and still improving. They’re going to keep someone like that.
Announcement: Pro Basketball Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $55,000 Fantasy Basketball league for Monday’s games. It’s $25 to join and first prize is $7,000. Starts at 7pm ET on Monday. Here’s the FanDuel link.
Thompson’s contract expires after next season, when he’d become a restricted free agent.
Considering Andrew Bogut, David Lee, Andre Iguodala and Stephen Curry will already be under contract for $50,974,922 in 2015-16 and team options for Marreese Speights, Harrison Barnes, Festus Ezeli and Nemanja Nedovic could push the payroll to $61,423,828, the Warriors as constructed are unlikely to have cap room in 2015 whether or not they re-sign Thompson. So, they might as well re-sign him.
What Lacob is indicating, in other words, is the Warriors plan to proceed with their current core.
If they’re so set on re-signing Thompson, why not just extend his contract while he’s eligible this offseason? Thompson can sign an extension between July 10 and Oct. 31. I suspect the Warriors and Thompson will negotiate toward one.
And if they don’t reach a deal by the deadline, Lacob is sending an early warning shots to other teams for the summer of 2015:
Don’t sign Thompson to an offer sheet. You’re just wasting your time.
- PBT Extra matchups to watch: Can Memphis keep Damian Lillard in check? 0
- Report: Suns’ Morris twins charged with aggravated assault 4
- Hawks’ Mike Budenholzer named 2014-15 NBA Coach of the Year 9
- With Anthony Davis and Pelicans drained, Warriors deliver down the stretch 12
- PBT Extra matchup to watch: Can Toronto keep Paul Pierce quiet on the court? 6
- Bulls overcome ugly start to take 2-0 series lead over Bucks 14
- PBT Extra matchup to watch: Dallas has to find a way to deal with Dwight Howard 6
- Man arrested after fight over who is better, Michael Jordan or LeBron James 40