Apr 28, 2014, 5:45 PM EST
If you were starting a team and could have any shooting guard in the NBA, how would you rank your choices?
James Harden would top most lists.
Among the contenders:
- Arron Afflalo
- Bradley Beal
- Jimmy Butler
- Monta Ellis
- Wesley Matthews
- Victor Oladipo
- Lance Stephenson
- Klay Thompson
- Dwyane Wade
Who you’d pick depends on preference – playing style, fit with other players and how quickly your team is trying to win.
The Warriors have a player on the list – Thompson – who thrives in their 3-point-happy system, plays extremely well with their other starters and is already good and still improving. They’re going to keep someone like that.
Announcement: Pro Basketball Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $55,000 Fantasy Basketball league for Monday’s games. It’s $25 to join and first prize is $7,000. Starts at 7pm ET on Monday. Here’s the FanDuel link.
Thompson’s contract expires after next season, when he’d become a restricted free agent.
Considering Andrew Bogut, David Lee, Andre Iguodala and Stephen Curry will already be under contract for $50,974,922 in 2015-16 and team options for Marreese Speights, Harrison Barnes, Festus Ezeli and Nemanja Nedovic could push the payroll to $61,423,828, the Warriors as constructed are unlikely to have cap room in 2015 whether or not they re-sign Thompson. So, they might as well re-sign him.
What Lacob is indicating, in other words, is the Warriors plan to proceed with their current core.
If they’re so set on re-signing Thompson, why not just extend his contract while he’s eligible this offseason? Thompson can sign an extension between July 10 and Oct. 31. I suspect the Warriors and Thompson will negotiate toward one.
And if they don’t reach a deal by the deadline, Lacob is sending an early warning shots to other teams for the summer of 2015:
Don’t sign Thompson to an offer sheet. You’re just wasting your time.
- Dwight Howard out vs. Mavericks Saturday, no timetable for his return 0
- If Derrick Rose not ready to return by Monday Bulls may add point guard to roster 8
- Another day, another Bulls injury: Taj Gibson out with sprained ankle 10
- Report: Kevin Durant, Russell Westbrook could return to Thunder lineup next week 11
- Kobe Bryant says he took large enough discount for Lakers to contend 54
- Report: Jeff Taylor won’t appeal 24-game suspension 2
- Timberwolves’ Kevin Martin out indefinitely after scoring 31 points with fractured wrist 8
- Andrei Kirilenko leaves Nets for road trip, Lionel Hollins unsure if he’ll return 14