Apr 28, 2014, 5:45 PM EST
If you were starting a team and could have any shooting guard in the NBA, how would you rank your choices?
James Harden would top most lists.
Among the contenders:
- Arron Afflalo
- Bradley Beal
- Jimmy Butler
- Monta Ellis
- Wesley Matthews
- Victor Oladipo
- Lance Stephenson
- Klay Thompson
- Dwyane Wade
Who you’d pick depends on preference – playing style, fit with other players and how quickly your team is trying to win.
The Warriors have a player on the list – Thompson – who thrives in their 3-point-happy system, plays extremely well with their other starters and is already good and still improving. They’re going to keep someone like that.
Announcement: Pro Basketball Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $55,000 Fantasy Basketball league for Monday’s games. It’s $25 to join and first prize is $7,000. Starts at 7pm ET on Monday. Here’s the FanDuel link.
Thompson’s contract expires after next season, when he’d become a restricted free agent.
Considering Andrew Bogut, David Lee, Andre Iguodala and Stephen Curry will already be under contract for $50,974,922 in 2015-16 and team options for Marreese Speights, Harrison Barnes, Festus Ezeli and Nemanja Nedovic could push the payroll to $61,423,828, the Warriors as constructed are unlikely to have cap room in 2015 whether or not they re-sign Thompson. So, they might as well re-sign him.
What Lacob is indicating, in other words, is the Warriors plan to proceed with their current core.
If they’re so set on re-signing Thompson, why not just extend his contract while he’s eligible this offseason? Thompson can sign an extension between July 10 and Oct. 31. I suspect the Warriors and Thompson will negotiate toward one.
And if they don’t reach a deal by the deadline, Lacob is sending an early warning shots to other teams for the summer of 2015:
Don’t sign Thompson to an offer sheet. You’re just wasting your time.
- Derek Fisher questions ‘character and integrity’ of players after Knicks lose to Kings by 38 points 3
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Tuesday: The Hawks clinched playoff spot in front of Josh Smith 2
- Nuggets need to decide direction, then hire coach 18
- Report: Russell Westbrook ‘likely’ to return to Thunder lineup Wednesday, will wear protective mask 13
- Nuggets have fired head coach Brian Shaw 29
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Monday: Goran Dragic got his revenge in concentrated form 5
- League suspends James Harden one game for kick to LeBron James’ groin 23
- PBT’s weekly NBA Power Rankings: Hawks seem to be out of malaise. Maybe. 11