Apr 28, 2014, 11:15 AM EDT
Three games on tap Monday night and two of them should be fascinating — Atlanta and Indiana in a crucial Game 5, and the Spurs down 2-1 to Dallas will be desperate for a win.
Miami Heat at Charlotte Bobcats (Heat lead series 3-0). Can the Bobcats win one? That’s really the only question left in this series. They can — they have played Miami tough twice in this series, they can have another close game. But what they really need is one of those Miami Heat on a mental vacation nights. You know Charlotte will bring their best effort, but if LeBron James and Dwyane Wade come ready to really close this thing out there is not a whole lot Charlotte can do.
Atlanta Hawks at Indiana Pacers (series tied 2-2). Indiana has home court advantage and full control of its destiny back — if they can build upon the win in Game 4 in Atlanta. Building on any success is not something the Pacers have done well for the better part of a month. Vogel needs to continue to go with the small lineup of David West and Luis Scola — that means benching Roy Hibbert for long stretches — and they need Paul George to continue to play well. Atlanta needs to play the game at a faster pace, not let the Pacers grind it down, and they need another monster night from Jeff Teague. Atlanta has won in Indy already in this series, do it again and they control their destiny.
San Antonio Spurs at Dallas Mavericks (Dallas leads series 2-1). The book on Dallas was they needed big nights from Dirk Nowitzki to beat the Spurs, and for the last two games Nowitzki has been held to fewer than 20 points thanks to great defense from Tiago Splitter. Yet Dallas has still won because Monta Ellis, Shawn Marion, Vince Carter, Devin Harris and the other Mavs have stepped up. Dallas needs that again, San Antonio needs to tighten up its defensive rotations and slow those other guys. Tony Parker needs a big game — he should own Jose Calderon and the rest of the Mavs point guard matchups. I expect we will see a more familiar Spurs team in Game 4 and an even series when this game is over… but Dallas keeps surprising me.
- Justin Bieber and Kevin Durant share brunch (photo) 5
- Clippers CEO: If Sterling remains owner then Doc Rivers, players, sponsors all ready to bolt 42
- Report: Cavaliers trying to acquire other players to put in Kevin Love trade 53
- Report: Bulls making push to trade for Kevin Love 70
- Seven standout players from Las Vegas Summer League 10
- Maverick Carter: LeBron James and Dwyane Wade still speak nearly daily 37
- Red hot Ray McCallum leads Sacramento Kings to Summer League title with 77-68 win against Houston 3
- Lakers great Michael Cooper diagnosed with cancer 16