Donald Sterling’s wife: ‘My children and I do not share these despicable views’ (Update: She defends him now)
Apr 28, 2014, 12:55 PM EDT
When Donald was asked whether he’s racist, Shelly interjected.
“No, of course not,” she said. “Oh, forget it. It’s not true.”
It’s not true, the paparazzo asked?
“No, of course not.”
The tape speaks for itself, the paparazzo pressed.
“They were al –” is all Shelly said clearly before getting into her car. Altered? All… something?
I don’t know what to make of this other than that Sterlings are difficult to understand.
Donald Sterling’s alleged racist statements were made to a woman TMZ said was his girlfriend.
Sterling is married.
He and his wife, Shelly, are reportedly estranged. Shelly, whose given first name is Rochelle, is also suing V. Stiviano, the woman believe to be Sterling’s girlfriend on the other end of the tape. Essentially, Shelly is suing Stiviano for taking money and cars from Donald Shelly alleges belonged to the married couple collectively.
In the meantime, Shelly is distancing herself from her husband’s alleged comments.
Shelly Sterling says “Our family is devastated by the racist comments made by my estranged husband. My children and I do not share these despicable views or prejudices.”
Shelly goes on … “We will not let one man’s small-mindedness poison the spirit of the fans and accomplishments of the team in the city we love.”
And Shelly says, “We are doing everything in our power to stand by and support our Clippers team.”
Shelly was at Sunday’s playoff game and is flying back with the team tonight.
Shelly wore all black at the game, perhaps in support of the players’ protest. She spoke with ABC’s Lisa Salters off camera and gave similar comments.
In light of Donald’s housing-discrimination lawsuit settlement, though, it’s also important to consider this about Shelly:
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Miami Heat 5
- Mike Miller points to him being amnestied as start of LeBron James leaving Miami 11
- Kobe Bryant thinks he could physically play beyond contract extension 14
- Trey Burke, in wake of nude-photo scandal: ‘My judgments will be much better’ 11
- Report: Kevin Durant says he wants to play in 2016 Olympics (his free agent summer) 5
- Morris twins sign four-year extensions with Suns 11
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Washington Wizards 3
- Rockets’ Daryl Morey fires back at Mark Cuban: If you care about chemistry, why break up a title team? 36