Donald Sterling’s wife: ‘My children and I do not share these despicable views’ (Update: She defends him now)

Apr 28, 2014, 12:55 PM EST

Shelly Sterling Shelly Sterling

Update: TMZ had video of a paparazzo questioning Donald as he and his wife left a restaurant last night.

When Donald was asked whether he’s racist, Shelly interjected.

“No, of course not,” she said. “Oh, forget it. It’s not true.”

It’s not true, the paparazzo asked?

“No, of course not.”

The tape speaks for itself, the paparazzo pressed.

“They were al –” is all Shelly said clearly before getting into her car. Altered? All… something?

I don’t know what to make of this other than that Sterlings are difficult to understand.

End update

Donald Sterling’s alleged racist statements were made to a woman TMZ said was his girlfriend.

Sterling is married.

He and his wife, Shelly, are reportedly estranged. Shelly, whose given first name is Rochelle, is also suing V. Stiviano, the woman believe to be Sterling’s girlfriend on the other end of the tape. Essentially, Shelly is suing Stiviano for taking money and cars from Donald Shelly alleges belonged to the married couple collectively.

In the meantime, Shelly is distancing herself from her husband’s alleged comments.

TMZ:

Shelly Sterling says “Our family is devastated by the racist comments made by my estranged husband.  My children and I do not share these despicable views or prejudices.”

Shelly goes on … “We will not let one man’s small-mindedness poison the spirit of the fans and accomplishments of the team in the city we love.”

And Shelly says, “We are doing everything in our power to stand by and support our Clippers team.”

Shelly was at Sunday’s playoff game and is flying back with the team tonight.

Shelly wore all black at the game, perhaps in support of the players’ protest. She spoke with ABC’s Lisa Salters off camera and gave similar comments.

In light of Donald’s housing-discrimination lawsuit settlement, though, it’s also important to consider this about Shelly:

1. trbowman - Apr 28, 2014 at 1:32 PM

You know Sterling has been cheating on her quite often over the years, no doubt about that. She’s with him for his money – duh.

• spthegr8 - Apr 28, 2014 at 3:48 PM

Okay, I am REALLY confused now. She said ” The accomplishments of the team”.??? Can someone refresh my memory. Just what in the F**K have the Clipper’s accomplished.???? I’ll wait.???!!??!!??

• asimonetti88 - Apr 28, 2014 at 4:17 PM

Well there was the one time they did that one thing… or wait, was that another team?

• mytthor - May 10, 2014 at 7:40 PM

This IS the best year in team history. Not likely something that will be given it’s own wing in the hall of fame, but it is an accomplishment.

2. bballhistorian - Apr 28, 2014 at 1:40 PM

Have you seen the latest TMZ video….she now supports him and says “He’s not a racist”.

• spursareold - Apr 28, 2014 at 2:56 PM

She had her realization that the value of the Clippers was plummeting like the stock market in 1929. That’s bad for her. I think she only originally chastised him because he was catting around. Then, the financial reality set in.

3. bougin89 - Apr 28, 2014 at 1:42 PM

“Oh yes, I definitely believe you, Shelly.”

-said no one

4. spyder9669 - Apr 28, 2014 at 1:45 PM

What do ya expect her to say? Thats like me saying I love my boss very much and would never think that he is a giant d-bag who severely undervalues his employees. Nothing really surprising here.

5. hdsnake867 - Apr 28, 2014 at 2:17 PM

Adam Silver and the NBA board of governors should disband the Clippers, leave Sterling with nothing and have a dispersal draft with the other 29 teams.

• bougin89 - Apr 28, 2014 at 2:34 PM

With the 1st overall pick in the dispansion(is that even a word?) draft the Milwaukee Bucks select Chris Paul…

Yeah I don’t think that’s going to happen.

• jerze2387 - Apr 28, 2014 at 4:23 PM

Blake Griffin disagrees

• bougin89 - Apr 28, 2014 at 4:27 PM

I was contemplating going with Griffin there but after this horrid season for the Bucks we need wins now and Paul helps that more than Griffin, IMO.

• paleihe - Apr 28, 2014 at 2:36 PM

Probably one of the dumbest ideas I’ve heard…especially because they can’t simply “disband”.

6. McFaddensPulledHammy - Apr 28, 2014 at 2:33 PM

Sounds like a lawyer got to her and said “if you say he’s a racist, you’ll get full ownership of the Clippers instead of 50%.”

7. imthedudedude - Apr 28, 2014 at 2:42 PM

These girls are obviously in love with this guys personality. He is quite the charmer

8. sisisisisisisi - Apr 28, 2014 at 7:24 PM

She’s no angel herself. She was also part of the lawsuit by the government regarding the Blacks & Hispanics. It makes me sick when she’s taking advantage of the situation because of the divorce.

9. steelerdynasty2010 - Apr 29, 2014 at 9:13 AM

that poor woman…i can only imagine her utter shock, horror, and disbelief as she heard the racist ramblings of her beloved for the FIRST time through the MEDIA…tmz no less…..-_-

10. 1historian - Apr 30, 2014 at 8:01 AM

Quickie quiz – BE HONEST

How many of you moral experts out there actually know what Sterling said?

Those of you who DO NOT know – how does it feel to have others jerking your chain and getting their laughs out of your completely predictable reaction?

Who will land Josh Smith?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches