Doc Rivers releases statement on remarks attributed to Donald Sterling: ‘The longer we keep winning, the more we talk about this’

Apr 28, 2014, 11:21 PM EDT

Los Angeles Clippers Introduce Doc Rivers Getty Images

Doc Rivers has done an admirable job of stepping into the spotlight to field questions about how he and his team are dealing with the alleged remarks made by Clippers owner Donald Sterling.

While the players have been largely shut down from speaking to the media, Rivers has been front and center, answering question after question by being as honest as possible — he truly doesn’t know many of the answers, but is giving it his best shot.

After sitting on a conference call with the media on Monday afternoon fielding questions from the likes of CNN and Inside Edition in addition to those from members of the more traditional basketball press, Rivers released a more comprehensive statement on the matter, which is reprinted below in its entirety.

“I would like to reiterate how disappointed I am in the comments attributed to [Donald Sterling] and I can’t even begin to tell you how upset I am and our players are. Today, I had a meeting with the members of our organization. When you are around all these people, you realize they are just as upset and embarrassed by the situation and it does not reflect who they really are. That was what I got from all of them. They are now a part of this and they are upset at this. But, they are all going to hang in there and so are we – I can tell you that as a group and as a team. From our fans’ standpoint, I want to say that they have been amazing, I can tell you that. We need unbelievable support right now from other people and I’m hoping we get that. My hope is that whatever the fans do, it is as one. I think that is what we all should do.

“We want to make the right decisions here. We’re doing our very best to try and do that. We know that fans are in a dilemma as well. We want them to cheer for their players and their team. It will always be their players and their team. From the fans that I have heard from, that’s how they feel. ‘This is my team. These are my players that I’m cheering for and that’s not going to change.’ I hope STAPLES Center is packed and people are cheering for the players. The players are now in the middle of this, and they have to deal with it.

“We are all trying to figure out everything as it goes and just do our best and we hope that it is the right answer. I’m still going to do my best and do what I think is best for the team and for everybody in this case. It is very difficult because there are so many emotions in this. This is a very emotional subject, this is personal.

“My belief is that the longer we keep winning, the more we talk about this. I believe that is good. If we want to make a statement – I believe that is how we have to do it. I think that is the right way to do it, but that doesn’t mean we still don’t wrestle with it every day and every moment. That is the difficult part.

“We are all doing our best here. Our players are doing their best. There are a lot of people involved in this. From one man’s comments, a lot of people have been affected and the conversations that we’re all having do need to be had.”

CSN BAY AREA: Rivers uniquely equipped to handle this crisis

NBA Commissioner Adam Silver is scheduled to hold a press conference on Tuesday at 2 p.m. ET to address the situation. The Clippers host the Warriors in Game 4 of their first round series later that night at STAPLES Center.

Latest Posts
  1. James Harden says he considered himself a role player during days with OKC

Jul 26, 2014, 8:00 AM EDT

Toronto Raptors v Houston Rockets Getty Images

Harden seems to backtrack a bit on comments Chandler Parsons took offense to.

2. Carmelo Anthony on his free agent decision: ‘It was pretty much always Chicago or New York’

Jul 25, 2014, 10:46 PM EDT

Philadelphia 76ers v New York Knicks Getty Images

Anthony reportedly strongly considered the Lakers too, but he says that wasn’t really the case.

3. Report: Kevin Johnson no longer part of search for new head of players’ union, vote expected Monday

Jul 25, 2014, 9:45 PM EDT

Kevin Johnson

The union for the players continues to struggle to get some competent leadership in place.

4. Joakim Noah is happy for LeBron, but hopes Bulls ‘can kick his a– as many times as possible’

Jul 25, 2014, 7:45 PM EDT

Chicago Bulls v Atlanta Hawks Getty Images

Joakim Noah continues to be brutally honest when speaking about his team’s competition.

5. Top 10 dunks of Las Vegas Summer League (VIDEO)

Jul 25, 2014, 6:46 PM EDT

Andrew Wiggins AP

The Andrew Wiggins spin and dunk is a thing of beauty.

6. Report: Hawks sign Shelvin Mack to three-year, $7.3 million deal

Jul 25, 2014, 5:14 PM EDT

Atlanta Hawks v Milwaukee Bucks Getty Images

He is a solid backup to have while Dennis Schroder develops.

7. Report: Will Cherry drawing interest from Cavaliers, Raptors

Jul 25, 2014, 3:44 PM EDT

Miami Heat v Cleveland Cavaliers Getty Images

Will Cherry was fun to watch at Las Vegas Summer League.

8. Tom Thibodeau considers Joakim Noah, Pau Gasol and Taj Gibson starters

Jul 25, 2014, 1:11 PM EDT

Chicago Bulls v Los Angeles Lakers Getty Images

Bulls also must make room for Nikola Mirotic in frontcourt

9. Dirk Nowitzki plays baseball (VIDEO)

Jul 25, 2014, 12:30 PM EDT

Dirk Nowitzki Dirk Nowitzki

Dirk Nowitzki presents a big strike zone.

10. Report: NBA wants to avoid massive salary-cap spike

Jul 25, 2014, 11:11 AM EDT

Adam Silver Adam Silver

New TV deal expected to drastically increase revenue

11. Newspaper seeks LeBron James beat reporter

Jul 25, 2014, 10:33 AM EDT

Milwaukee Bucks vs Miami Heat - Game Two Milwaukee Bucks vs Miami Heat - Game Two

Not a Cleveland Cavaliers beat reporter. A LeBron James beat reporter.

12. Report: Bulls promised not to trade Nikola Mirotic

Jul 25, 2014, 9:55 AM EDT

Nikola Mirotic, Gar Forman Nikola Mirotic, Gar Forman

Rookie big man has been mentioned in Kevin Love trade rumors

Why can't Lakers have a player-coach?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches