Doc Rivers releases statement on remarks attributed to Donald Sterling: ‘The longer we keep winning, the more we talk about this’

Apr 28, 2014, 11:21 PM EST

Los Angeles Clippers Introduce Doc Rivers Getty Images

Doc Rivers has done an admirable job of stepping into the spotlight to field questions about how he and his team are dealing with the alleged remarks made by Clippers owner Donald Sterling.

While the players have been largely shut down from speaking to the media, Rivers has been front and center, answering question after question by being as honest as possible — he truly doesn’t know many of the answers, but is giving it his best shot.

After sitting on a conference call with the media on Monday afternoon fielding questions from the likes of CNN and Inside Edition in addition to those from members of the more traditional basketball press, Rivers released a more comprehensive statement on the matter, which is reprinted below in its entirety.

“I would like to reiterate how disappointed I am in the comments attributed to [Donald Sterling] and I can’t even begin to tell you how upset I am and our players are. Today, I had a meeting with the members of our organization. When you are around all these people, you realize they are just as upset and embarrassed by the situation and it does not reflect who they really are. That was what I got from all of them. They are now a part of this and they are upset at this. But, they are all going to hang in there and so are we – I can tell you that as a group and as a team. From our fans’ standpoint, I want to say that they have been amazing, I can tell you that. We need unbelievable support right now from other people and I’m hoping we get that. My hope is that whatever the fans do, it is as one. I think that is what we all should do.

“We want to make the right decisions here. We’re doing our very best to try and do that. We know that fans are in a dilemma as well. We want them to cheer for their players and their team. It will always be their players and their team. From the fans that I have heard from, that’s how they feel. ‘This is my team. These are my players that I’m cheering for and that’s not going to change.’ I hope STAPLES Center is packed and people are cheering for the players. The players are now in the middle of this, and they have to deal with it.

“We are all trying to figure out everything as it goes and just do our best and we hope that it is the right answer. I’m still going to do my best and do what I think is best for the team and for everybody in this case. It is very difficult because there are so many emotions in this. This is a very emotional subject, this is personal.

“My belief is that the longer we keep winning, the more we talk about this. I believe that is good. If we want to make a statement – I believe that is how we have to do it. I think that is the right way to do it, but that doesn’t mean we still don’t wrestle with it every day and every moment. That is the difficult part.

“We are all doing our best here. Our players are doing their best. There are a lot of people involved in this. From one man’s comments, a lot of people have been affected and the conversations that we’re all having do need to be had.”

CSN BAY AREA: Rivers uniquely equipped to handle this crisis

NBA Commissioner Adam Silver is scheduled to hold a press conference on Tuesday at 2 p.m. ET to address the situation. The Clippers host the Warriors in Game 4 of their first round series later that night at STAPLES Center.

Latest Posts
  1. Shane Battier: ‘I think a 60-game season would be perfect’

Feb 27, 2015, 5:30 PM EST

Shane Battier Shane Battier

There are financial obstacles in the way of dropping 22 games from the schedule, but Battier makes a somewhat compelling case.

2. Kyrie Irving has strained left shoulder, out Friday vs. Pacers

Feb 27, 2015, 4:56 PM EST

Cleveland Cavaliers v New York Knicks Getty Images

He’s day to day. (Insert your Keith Olberman joke here.)

3. NBA to release “Last Two Minutes” officiating reports through end of season, playoffs

Feb 27, 2015, 4:30 PM EST

Boston Celtics Vs. Brooklyn Nets At TD Garden Getty Images

It’s not going to change most fans’ minds, but it’s a good first step.

4. Report: Highest bid for Atlanta Hawks currently $800 million

Feb 27, 2015, 3:45 PM EST

Indiana Pacers v Atlanta Hawks - Game Six Getty Images

Don’t be surprised if another bidder comes in over the top.

5. Report: If Ray Allen return to NBA this season it will not be with Cleveland

Feb 27, 2015, 3:15 PM EST

Ray Allen Getty Images

Don’t expect him to return, but if he does Cleveland appears off the list.

6. The time Michael Jordan asked Common to forge his signature (VIDEO)

Feb 27, 2015, 2:45 PM EST

87th Annual Academy Awards - Red Carpet Getty Images

Turns out Common was a Bulls ball boy back in the early Jordan era in Chicago, so he and Michael Jordan had some laughs together.

7. Jeff Van Gundy to Daryl Morey when he flinched at using analytics to make a decision: ‘Either you believe in this sh-t or you don’t’

Feb 27, 2015, 2:14 PM EST

Game One Miami Heat v Indiana Pacers - Eastern Conference Finals Game One Getty Images

The data said that Dikembe Mutombo was better than Yao Ming, but Morey wasn’t ready to make that call.

8. Shane Battier says peer pressure is more valuable than coaching in the NBA

Feb 27, 2015, 1:30 PM EST

Shane Battier Shane Battier

A team’s best players hold each other accountable, according to the former NBA player.

9. Report: Phil Jackson to get fined for innocuous comment on Ohio State’s D’Angelo Russell

Feb 27, 2015, 12:48 PM EST

Celebrities Attend Vancouver Canucks Vs New York Rangers Game - February 19, 2015 Getty Images

Phil Jackson can’t just quietly sneak into a building and watch a prospect, so a reporter asked him a question. Jackson answered and will pay for that.

10. Derrick Rose expected to return in 4-6 weeks. In time for playoffs.

Feb 27, 2015, 11:58 AM EST

Chicago Bulls v Houston Rockets Getty Images

This makes the Bulls a lot more dangerous come the playoffs.

11. Draymond Green drives for dunk, Timofey Mozgov isn’t going to stop him (VIDEO)

Feb 27, 2015, 11:28 AM EST

draymond green Getty Images

The Cavaliers’ rim protection has been infinitely better since the arrival of Timofey Mozgov, but he wasn’t stopping Draymond Green on this one.

12. Kyle Lowry on his game of late: “I’m trash.”

Feb 27, 2015, 10:44 AM EST

Raptors DeRozan and Lowry against Hawks Getty Images

DeMar DeRozan says he’s right next to Lowry on this.

13. Eric Bledsoe, Russell Westbrook put on a show (VIDEO)

Feb 27, 2015, 9:10 AM EST

Russell Westbrook, Eric Bledsoe, Alex Len AP

Westbrook had the numbers but Bledsoe was efficient.

14. Kyrie Irving to get MRI on shoulder, did not travel with Cavs to Indianapolis

Feb 27, 2015, 8:30 AM EST

Golden State Warriors v Cleveland Cavaliers Getty Images

He’s officially doubtful for Friday against the Pacers.

15. Five Things We Learned in NBA Thursday: The Cavaliers we expected have arrived

Feb 27, 2015, 2:55 AM EST

LeBron James AP

If you had any doubts about the Cavs, they answered them.

16. LeBron drops season-high 42 as Cavaliers comfortably handle Warriors (VIDEO)

Feb 27, 2015, 12:55 AM EST

LeBron James AP

LeBron looked at Stephen Curry across the way and decided to make his own MVP statement.

Is Derrick Rose the next Penny Hardaway?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches
  1. K. Durant (8437)
  2. D. Rose (7565)
  3. S. Curry (7432)
  4. D. Howard (7271)
  5. M. Carter-Williams (7248)
  1. P. George (6849)