Apr 28, 2014, 3:55 PM EDT
Doc Rivers really doesn’t know.
Doesn’t know how fans should react to this, although he hopes they support the players. He doesn’t know what the league will do or how his players will react to that action. He doesn’t know how they will play Tuesday night.
Listen to him and you believe him. And you can’t blame him — this is uncharted territory. Clearly the racist statements allegedly made by Clippers owner Donald Sterling (Rivers said he had no doubt Sterling made them) have effected his team as they search for a way to deal with it. Rivers gave his players the day off on Monday, but most of them were at the practice facility. Rivers again stepped in front of the media again and answered questions as best he could (he’s been great about that and trying to shield the players), but he really doesn’t know the answers. Here are Rivers’ comments, via tweets from ESPN’s Arash Markazi, Yahoo Sports’ Marc Spears, and Dan Woike of the Orange County Register.
On Donald Sterling reaching out to talk to him:
On what the league will do:
On the Clippers players:
On the Clippers fans and their reaction:
- Hey John Wall/Dion Waiters, Stephen Curry says Warriors have best backcourt. And he’s right. 10
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Charlotte Hornets 2
- Kobe Bryant plans to play in all 8 preseason games for Lakers 2
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Miami Heat 8
- Mike Miller points to him being amnestied as start of LeBron James leaving Miami 14
- Kobe Bryant thinks he could physically play beyond contract extension 14
- Trey Burke, in wake of nude-photo scandal: ‘My judgments will be much better’ 11
- Report: Kevin Durant says he wants to play in 2016 Olympics (his free agent summer) 5