Apr 28, 2014, 3:55 PM EDT
Doc Rivers really doesn’t know.
Doesn’t know how fans should react to this, although he hopes they support the players. He doesn’t know what the league will do or how his players will react to that action. He doesn’t know how they will play Tuesday night.
Listen to him and you believe him. And you can’t blame him — this is uncharted territory. Clearly the racist statements allegedly made by Clippers owner Donald Sterling (Rivers said he had no doubt Sterling made them) have effected his team as they search for a way to deal with it. Rivers gave his players the day off on Monday, but most of them were at the practice facility. Rivers again stepped in front of the media again and answered questions as best he could (he’s been great about that and trying to shield the players), but he really doesn’t know the answers. Here are Rivers’ comments, via tweets from ESPN’s Arash Markazi, Yahoo Sports’ Marc Spears, and Dan Woike of the Orange County Register.
On Donald Sterling reaching out to talk to him:
On what the league will do:
On the Clippers players:
On the Clippers fans and their reaction:
- Jeanie Buss: ‘Any free agent that would be afraid to play with Kobe Bryant is probably a loser’ 7
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Memphis Grizzlies 5
- Five top candidates for NBA Rookie of the Year 19
- NBA GMs surveyed predict LeBron will win MVP, Spurs will repeat as champions 27
- Owners vote down NBA Draft lottery reform, system to stay same for this season 46
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 preview: Houston Rockets 24
- Kobe Bryant responds to ESPN article with basically a shrug (VIDEO) 20
- Paul George refutes report he didn’t want to play with Kobe Bryant: ‘Media reaching again’ 22