Clippers cancel practice in wake of Donald Sterling controversy, Game 4 loss

Apr 28, 2014, 11:45 AM EDT

Doc Rivers Doc Rivers

More isn’t always better – especially when it comes to NBA teams practicing.

To the uninitiated, NBA teams practice surprisingly infrequently. There just isn’t time in a busy schedule, and rest is often preferred.

Perhaps due to ordinary reasons, the Clippers – who are in extraordinary circumstances due to the Donald Sterling saga – are opting for rest today.

Arash Markazi of ESPN:

The Clippers just lost by 21 in a playoff game. They hadn’t lost by 20 since a Jan. 4 loss to the Spurs. Regardless of anything else, it would make sense to take a day off and regroup.

Of course, Sterling looms over everything happening with the Clippers. Doc Rivers probably doesn’t want his players answering a ton of Sterling questions today, instead allowing them time to reflect privately and maybe even clear their heads.

Their minds might be elsewhere, though.

If the Clippers are going to win this series, Rivers must navigate uncharted waters. Cancelling practice is his best attempt to do that, but there’s no telling whether it will work.

1. chicagosports2014 - Apr 28, 2014 at 11:51 AM

Sterling getting pimped by a sista. Hahahahahehe!

2. realfootballfan - Apr 28, 2014 at 12:16 PM

This might even be too much for Doc to overcome, but could you imagine if Del Negro was still the coach, lmao?

• blameitonlebron - Apr 28, 2014 at 1:59 PM

he might still be the coach if his name was Vinny Del Blanco instead of Vinny Del Negro

• au1978 - Apr 28, 2014 at 4:01 PM

WOW! Lol.

3. chargerdillon - Apr 28, 2014 at 12:20 PM

Well Sterling is getting his wish, sounds like there’s going to be a lot less black men in his building real soon.

4. knickshater - Apr 28, 2014 at 12:24 PM

Can’t see the Clips bouncing back and making something of this year’s playoffs.

5. ddmcd1974 - Apr 28, 2014 at 12:31 PM

I don’t get why you can’t practice or what you would need time for. People seriously get hurt by words or because someone dislikes them that they can’t function normally. I don’t get it. I have lots of people who hate me for who I am. My boss is older fat and I know he despises me. I don’t give a flying sheet about it and I don’t have any of the clout or power these ballers do. How is it possible I have thicker skin? I thought all these guys are so rough and tough from these hard upbringings. I guess those hard faces and stances are just for show. Weak is the only word that comes to mind from now on when I think of these guys.

• loungefly74 - Apr 28, 2014 at 12:48 PM

well…its good that you have a thick skin…but what it be a little different if your boss made it publically know he does not like you due to an attribute? thats a little harsh…especially on a big spotlight….hence, very distracting. i think about how Tiger Woods’ struggle happen to occur right after his marriage blowup…the guy was distracted.

• mackcarrington - Apr 28, 2014 at 3:22 PM

@ddmcd1974:
      Do you realize that everyone is different and that all people don’t feel and think the same way?

6. brotherlove2012 - Apr 28, 2014 at 12:45 PM

It seems to me that the only people getting richer and more famous by winning a championship are the players, coaches and managers. Rarely the owners get any credit, and what difference would it make? The players should forget about this and work for themselves, in the end, it’s them who will reap the benefits. Soft indeed …

• realfootballfan - Apr 28, 2014 at 1:02 PM

Yea, Donal Sterling didn’t go from a millionaire to a billionaire by owning the Clippers. He’s doing it for fun. Another dummy posting.

7. rdrfan - Apr 28, 2014 at 5:31 PM

They sure don’t have trouble taking his money. If they wanna protest don’t take the racist’s money then

8. rdrfan - Apr 28, 2014 at 5:31 PM

9. fearthehoody - Apr 28, 2014 at 7:14 PM

My Clipps are done! When I heard the news Saturday, I said Clipps would get blown out and I took GS and the over and I was right. When I hear a coach talk about possibly not coming next year and cp3 saying he is nervous about playing at home, they won’t win another game.

10. ocgunslinger - Apr 28, 2014 at 10:28 PM

The most outrageous statement beyond a doubt and impossible to defend. However, They were made by a senile person in private to a “Girl Friend” who baited him and then made it all public. When all is said and done his private opinions are his private opinions. If he was a racist why did he tell his girl friend she could do anything she wanted including F@!*ing him. The PC police are making a lot more of this than they should but in this day and age everyone jumps on the bandwagon. Again it was a stupid statement and it should be a “Consider the Source” statement.

Will LeBron get booed Christmas Day in Miami?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches