TNT’s Inside the NBA crew speaks out against Clippers owner Donald Sterling (VIDEO)

Apr 26, 2014, 8:45 PM EDT

TNT is one of the NBA’s major rights-holders. In addition to the cable network televising a ton of both regular season and playoff games, Turner Sports Digital operates the league’s official website, NBA.com.

At halftime of Game 4 between the Pacers and the Hawks, however, the Inside the NBA crew of Ernie Johnson, Shaquille O’Neal, Kenny Smith and Charles Barkley has an admirably honest discussion about how the league should deal with the alleged comments made by Clippers owner Donald Sterling.

[via SB Nation]

1. davidly - Apr 26, 2014 at 9:04 PM

It would seem that Clippers President Andy Roeser says the team doesn’t know if the guy in the recording is Sterling, but if it is, he didn’t mean it. Or something to that effect.

2. Ferdinand - Apr 26, 2014 at 9:08 PM

If the League’s “investigation” comes back as anything other than “We can not prove or disprove the veracity of the report”, I will be shocked.

• redbaronx - Apr 27, 2014 at 8:50 AM

@Ferdinand – I don’t know why you put “investigation” in quotes and what your beef is with the league, but if you’re a conspiracy theorist, you should post on FIFA threads, not the NBA. The NBA is about as transparent a league as there is.

3. 700levelvet - Apr 26, 2014 at 9:10 PM

In a weird twist of fate… CNN used Sir Charles mugshot from his DUI in 2008 when phone interviewing him.. Oh the irony

4. phillyguyindc - Apr 26, 2014 at 9:19 PM

LA Times:

Clippers President Andy Roeser says in the statement that the team does not know if the man recorded is Sterling but that the statements do not reflect Sterling’s “views, beliefs or feelings.”
    Furthermore, Roeser claims the woman on the tape is the defendant in a lawsuit filed by the Sterling family that claims she embezzled more than $1.8 million. Sterling told Roeser that the woman said she would “get even” with Sterling for bringing the lawsuit against her.

I don’t know what the bounds are of ownership but I don’t know if they can do much but fine him. I guess you can suspend him, but from what exactly?

I also don’t like all of these players coming out saying they wouldn’t play for him. They are putting the current clippers in a very awkward situation.

It’s a sad story all around.

• redbaronx - Apr 27, 2014 at 9:32 AM

@phillyguyindc – Agreed about the players saying they wouldn’t play for him. Inadvertently they are making Chris Paul and the rest of the Clippers players look like “Uncle Tom’s” for having agreed to play for Stirling. LeBron, Kobe and others that are saying they wouldn’t play for Stirling should qualify their remarks with “knowing what I know now, I would not play for him”. That way they’re not making Clippers players and coaches look bad.

I really feel sorry for the Clippers coaches and players that they have to deal with this right in the midst of a playoffs series. They’ve worked all season to get where they’re at.

5. chargerdillon - Apr 26, 2014 at 9:28 PM

Donald Sterling has been a known slum lord for decades. This is absolutely no surprise to me. What is a surprise to me is how hot that V. Stiviano chick is.

I also find the hypocrisy incredibly interesting that he has no problem sitting next to his dark skinned girlfriend but has a real problem with other dark skinned people being there.

But still….that chick is smoking hot. If I had that money I’d buy her too.

• eugenesaxe1 - Apr 26, 2014 at 10:11 PM

She is hot, but why is she with an outspoken racist, when she could gold-dig off a younger, better-looking rich guy?

• asimonetti88 - Apr 27, 2014 at 2:30 AM

not many younger better looking rich guys own basketball teams

• 5xchamp24 - Apr 27, 2014 at 1:04 AM

Are you sure you saw the right photo of her?

6. the8man - Apr 26, 2014 at 9:32 PM

I’m not defending him, but this is a personal dialogue between him and his female friend. It wasn’t said on camera and shouldn’t be in print. While we may not agree with what he said, if we begin to persecute on thoughts and words in private we begin down a slippery slope.

Did someone see him say this? And even if they did, do we not live in a free country where we in our private moments can express ourselves with impunity despite how those words are stolen or obtained without our knowledge? Not everybody likes everybody else. We all need to get over it and move on.

I’ve said far worse about my neighbors and other people I’ve met. No one had better try to wrest anything I own from me because of it.

• demasane - Apr 26, 2014 at 10:02 PM

you must be a great neighbor

• the8man - Apr 27, 2014 at 9:56 AM

You don’t know my neighbors. They almost burned down my home. The fire department had to break into it to save it.

• kinggw - Apr 26, 2014 at 10:15 PM

Spoken like a closet bigot. You know the type. Talks real big on anonymous blogs like this, and would never say anything if there was another man in front of them. You are absolutely defending Sterling and doing a poor job. Living in a free country means you can say anything you want, it doesn’t mean there aren’t consequences to your free speech. And he definitely made the comments. He never denied them and has already issued a bs apology.

I’m amazed that people like yourself think that because he supposedly made his comments in private, they shouldn’t come to light or they are somehow privileged. This is not a everybody get over it and move on situation. You can’t say you don’t want black people at your games and not think there isn’t going to be backlash. It doesn’t matter if you made the comments in confidence or not.

And what are you going to do is someone did attempt to take something from you, talk about them behind their backs?

• redbaronx - Apr 27, 2014 at 9:08 AM

@kinggw – I don’t know ‘the8man’, but I can tell you that I agree with him. I’m definitely not a bigot, and i’m mixed race so you can’t go there either.

the8man was making a point which is that people do say things in the heat of the moment to boyfriends/girlfriends. That’s not to say that Stirling should be excused and I completely agree with you when you say this isn’t a “get over it and move on situation”. What it means though is that it shouldn’t be blown out of proportion. Obama put it perfectly. You let an ignorant man speak and he’ll show his own ignorance. Well I think we can all agree that Stirling is pretty ignorant and he was always a buffoon of an owner for those of us that have been watching the NBA since the 80’s and 90’s. I think the Clippers players should not have to deal with having this issue becoming the bigger story than their playoff success. The NBA can do the same thing MLB did to Marge Schott and ban Stirling from direct involvement with the team. That’s not a “move on and get over it move” nor is it a move that is an extreme in the other direction like forcing Stirling to sell the team.

But we as fans shouldn’t be condemning one another for being bigots for having an opinion on it. I certainly don’t think ‘the8man’ was saying this to whitewash Stirling. He was just saying that he thinks the issue is being blown out of proportion as it is a recording of a private conversation between boyfriend and girlfriend. That I agree with. Everyone has the capacity to say something stupid in an argument with a significant other. Most of us have been there. Again, I’m not excusing Stirling. I’m just saying I’m sure the league is more than capable of handling this appropriately, and there’s no reason for us fans to get in a frenzy over this. Especially by calling each other bigots. That’s uncalled for.

• davidly - Apr 26, 2014 at 10:19 PM

Furthermore, the league didn’t care about the image he projected when he was just a billionaire slumlord racist equal employment opportunity offender. Now that he’s a TMZ scandal, well then.

• fanofthegame79 - Apr 26, 2014 at 10:37 PM

There’s a quote that defines true character by the actions you do when no one can see. I suggest you take a hard look at why you hate people based on the color of their skin or who knows what else (you stated that you’ve said worse about your neighbor) and try to be a better person.

7. mike0987 - Apr 26, 2014 at 9:53 PM

the whole convo seemed like they were reading a script … no real emotion ..any actual proof it was actually him?

• kinggw - Apr 26, 2014 at 10:19 PM

In a statement, Clippers president Andy Roeser says “Mr. Sterling is emphatic that what is reflected on that recording is not consistent with, nor does it reflect his views, beliefs or feelings. It is the antithesis of who he is, what he believes and how he has lived his life. He feels terrible that such sentiments are being attributed to him and apologizes to anyone who might have been hurt by them.”

Still want to act as if it didn’t happen?

8. bballhistorian - Apr 26, 2014 at 10:13 PM

To the people here trying to justify his comments:

You’re kidding, right?

• kinggw - Apr 26, 2014 at 10:18 PM

Unfortunately the internet provides a veil of anonymity for closet bigots who’d otherwise never let their thoughts be known.

• redbaronx - Apr 27, 2014 at 9:24 AM

@kinggw – You’re using that very “veil of anonymity” to call people bigots. That’s not helping your cause or making your point very well. I suggest something more constructive.

Calling people bigots for voicing their opinions that differ from yours is an easy out. There are people in this world and on PBT that really ARE bigots. Why not focus your energy on those people?

It really bothers me when you start calling people bigots when they have shown no kind of racial ill will in their comments like you did with ‘the8man’ and you seem to be on a crusade to call anyone that disagrees with you a bigot.

9. ProBasketballPundit - Apr 27, 2014 at 7:11 PM

Inside The NBA has better things to talk about. I hope this Donald Sterling thing is resolved quickly.

Why can't Lakers have a player-coach?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches